"Nothing gets nerfed, only buffs since release"

Perhaps pre-RoS, that wasn’t true, but since then?

The only major nerf that we have seen recently that WASN’T a supposed bug fix was Energy Twister Wizard, which was warranted because it was roughly 30-40 GRs above everyone else.

Since then, we have had a number of seasons in which a certain build strongly dominated at high lvls (Especially with Wiz and Necro past several seasons) but we have yet to see any nerfs to these builds, only buffs to the rest of the builds.

Blizzard also specifically mentioned this point long ago in a AMA - They don’t like nerfing builds because it feels bad for players to suddenly be unable to do content that they were previously able to.

So, yea. It’s unlikely for Vyrs to get nerfed, and highly likely for everybody else to get buffed.

1 Like

If there is to be a nerf, hopefully it’ll be to chantodo, not vyrs.

Nerfing stuff lets long time players that played before the nerf have advantage over players that didn’t play before the nerf. This means new players can’t ever catch up to the old ways.

This is why massive nerfs will not work.

1 Like

Generally speaking, that’s been the approach. No one likes to be nerfed. It never feels great to take away power (or be the one who’s lost it). It particularly feels bad if you’ve missed a patch cycle or two and come back feeling a lot weaker than you remember, and we especially try to avoid mid-Season changes so as not to mess with leaderboards.

However, there are times where data and community sentiment indicate a nerf is necessary (we’re looking at a couple potentially that might come in the next patch). There are also times a bug gets fixed and it results in a “nerf,” even if the original strength was never intended. There are dozens of factors that might change our approach over time because the game is changing too.

It’s folly to say we only ever intend to buff. We have tried to bring classes up to other high performers, but there’s a limit to that as well; we’re aware of the concerns about power creep and it’s something we’re always keeping an eye on.

Long story short, sweeping generalizations aren’t safe assumption as truth.

…But if we’re being honest, that’s pretty applicable life advice too. :wink:

19 Likes

There’s a saying about assumptions being bad, but the wording would get hit by the filter.

1 Like

Why do I get the feeling I’m gonna be very disappointed with the next patch…

I guess DHs aren’t allowed to have 2 class sets for pushing highier greater rifts. By pushing highier greater rifts I mean playing with your favourite build from start of the season and pushing the limits out of it, not joining the META bus just to be able to level up your legendary gems to 100-110 (or highier) rank without the need of having minimum 1500-2000 paragon…

Finally I can reach highier GRs using my favourite build, but I guess I’m not allowed to do that and all the joy is gonna be taken away from me. I solo all my GRs, don’t join META groups which makes me an outsider, so I guess I can forget about playing what I love the most if I want to clear highier greater rifts.

Too bad that you can’t have more than 1 class set to clear GR 100+ without the need of minimum 1200-1500 paragon, 95-110 caldesans and legendary gems at 90-100+ rank at least…

Finally UE Multishot is strong and you want to ruin it, cause of an item that makes wizards EVEN stronger?

I guess as a minority my word has no meaning and no one cares what I have to say.

Anyway as long as UE CC Multishot won’t get harmed I’m fine with any decissions for the future patch. It’s not like it’s crazy OP like current Archon build is.

On the other hand if the next patch will ruin this build (UE Multishot) than it’s farewell for me to any future Diablo games for PC which gonna be released in the future…

Yeah I know no one cares…

2 Likes

I see you are still on about this one.

I’m actually closing in on GR 90 right now with my seasonal DH. And if you notice, no Augments, gem levels aren’t even to 40 yet, and clearing 85s right now in 6-8 minutes. I get an ancient Yangs and a few tweaks and I’m betting I can jump to 95 or higher. I’m pretty sure I could clear 90 now, if I got the right rift.

So… Yeah. It doesn’t need to be as strong as you think. I’m not even using CC yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Then I will work on making the Marauder hit the same point.

Game on.

3 Likes

Maybe we can engage with Nev without making assumptions. Let’s rephrase this: “when you mentioned looking at a couple nerfs that may potentially be necessary, can you confirm if Squirt’s Necklace is one of them?”

And then, if Nev says yes, rather than jump down her throat, you can rationally explain why that will have a side-effect of taking DHs down in their GR capability, and if the intent is to bring Wizard as a class in line with the rest, you can suggest another component to examine. But, we might give them the benefit of the doubt that they’re already aware of this. Still, if we are going to engage, let’s do it productively rather than trying to scare off our best source of information.

2 Likes

This is false, you’re probably just terrible at this very simple game. Plenty of builds can clear 100+ without all those things.

3 Likes

I’m no Pro, but I got up to GR 107 with my UE Multishot DH, which is the highiest ever with this build for me. I know that others might get highier even using my current items. I’m just stuck at 107. Tried 108 GRs many times always failed…

I always react like that whenever a blue post appears with the word “nerf” in it, cause it usually ends up really bad for any builds I play…

If I’m gonna get cut down in GR progress from my current highiest 107 back to 95 which was my best with Multishot before the Captain Crimson change and Squirt’s legendary, I’ll completely loose any faith I have left for Blizz and will never buy any games from them.

Nerfs are the reason I stopped playing Overwatch. Once I noticed they nerfed the “class” I like it was over for me and I never came back to the game.

It’s ridiculous how many nerfs D3 RoS received compared to D2 LoD. Back in D2 LoD there were maybe 2 or 3 big nerfs made to classes and that was it.

Playing D3 RoS feels like being trapped with Freddy Krueger in a dream… You never know when the nerf hammer gets you and if it hits what you like playing the most…

If I can’t enjoy playing and getting the most from the build I enjoy than what’s the point of playing at all. If I’m forced to play others builds I don’t like just to level up my gems for caldesans or just for my build, than thanks, but no thanks…

If currently Shadow Impale is the strongest DH class set build for pushing, than maybe it’s time to give UE Multishot a chance too, to join it. Same with the rest DH class sets in next patches…

Same thing with other classes. If Wizard has only Archon, why not make other class sets as strong as that set rather.

Other classes should also be at least 5 GRs levels behind Archon with all class sets, not just one.

I know it’s easier said than done, but it’s a far better solution than make a lot players mad and make them stuck in a lower GR range that they should be…

D3 RoS is over 7 years old and I think all classes should be able to clear GR 120-130 just as easy as they can clear 100-110 now… It would take a lot of tweaking and testing, but if done it would make more players happy, than just force everyone to only play ONE single class set if they want to push highier GRs.

Wouldn’t mind if some legendary gems got buffed too, cause it’s kinda boring being stuck with all the same gems every season, but I doubt it will ever happen…

In fact any of the above I just mentioned…

Of course it’s false if you level up your gems with a META build and than decide to try other class with your already leveled gems whether you use them in your build or as caldesans…

If you took a closer look at the leaderboards you would notice that some players can clear GR 110 with less than 1000 paragon with only a few caldesans and gems in 95-105 range while others need 1200 or more with all items augmented and 105-110 gems to do the same…

Just because you can do that, doesn’t mean everyone else can too…

1 Like

And everyone should be able to do it automagically because? If you are playing poorly, you don’t deserve to clear high rofl. Stop begging to be handheld by Blizzard straight to the top. GR 100 shouldn’t even be considered high anymore, plenty of nonmeta builds can do it without insane gemlvls or caldesanns.

3 Likes

Go ahead clear a GR 100 with Firebirds with less than 1000 paragon and few cladesans only (max 400) and legendary gems arround 90-95 rank. Shouldn’t be a problem for a pro like you…

If it wasn’t for the constant class sets power creep (that some of you just can’t stomach) all the PRO players would be doing max GR 100-110 no matter how much paragon or what gear they have or how skilled they are…while others would be happy to clear a 90 GR…

So there’s gows your “handheld by Blizzard straight to the top” BS…

Then that means you can still hit up below the GR107 tier to push your gems. I think you can do the comparison yourself if you look up leaderboards to note down which affixes they have on which piece to push further. There are a few key affixes that you need to possess before stepping out of comfort zone.

That’s some ridiculous claims.

You keep saying that and after a while it loses its shock value.

You realize ofc firebirds starpact was meta build for quite a while before? It can clear GR100 no doubt, obviously carried by starpact sure. Delsere can clear 100+ easily without all those things. Tals too, Vyrs too even without Chantodos.

As for your power creep remark, I couldn’t care less if we were doing 110s or 140s. I don’t see it as a personal accomplishment if I wake up one day and can clear 20 GRs higher because Blizzard buffed my class. If it was up to me we would’ve nerfed bazooka and this crazy chantodos already, so that they are more in line with every other build in the game.

1 Like

A decent example is the Necromancer Inarius with Mirinae. To this day I am no longer sure which statements are accurate. - whether or not it is the gem overall? - or the combination of the gem with Inarius?? - or what?? It does not matter, I do however see that nobody can foretell the future or that at the very beginning of this game that the levels would be where they are. However, in line with the more damage philosophy, some nerfed things seem to be ‘un-nerfed’ as it progresses, so I’ll watch for now. There are more changes coming apparently, so nerfing I do not think is part of the game-plan from what I can gather.

All I know is that still the Inarius is not as competitive as LoD, LoN and other set builds and it almost was.

And my point is that way of reacting is not likely to help anything. Imagine you are Nev. You come to communicate that, yes, some overperforming elements are being looked at. You haven’t said what. Someone in the forum immediately assumes the worst and goes on a tirade. Does that make it easier for you to understand what they are saying? No. Might it be irrelevant if that isn’t even the overperforming element the team is looking at? Yes.

Ask the questions to have the right information. Then articulate your concern constructively.

I hope they nerf us all to GR15 and 3 difficulties. :grin:

The Inarius set interacted with the gem incorrectly. It was causing the gem to proc its effects WAY more than it should have been. Essentially bone armor tornado had a weird effect on the gem. So the cause was fixed and fell in line with other builds. As I recall, it was the set that was fixed, not the gem itself.

But yes, for a brief time in the Nec history, there was a shining build other than the horrible lance builds that, while powerful, are tricky to play correctly. That said, you can still run the Inarius with Mirinae setup, its just not as powerful as it was, but remains useful for some build variants.

To summarise I really like pepperoni pineapple pizza and I got one almost every Friday.

That doesn’t mean you never see me having any other kind of pizza! :open_mouth: :wink:

I’m happy for someone to prove me wrong, but I thought it was the internal cooldown of Miranae that got changed, not the Inarius set.