No Matt Uelmen for D4 :(

Tweeted the man himself. Amazingly he responded, saying he was uninvolved, but liked the art direction.

16 Likes

WHAT?!? BLIZZARD WHY U NO GET MATT UELMEN FOR D4?!?! 9 out of 10 odds says his music will samoan slap the hell out of whoever is going to compose D4! Blizzard, Blizzard I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU START TAKING NOTES from CDPR’s playbook.

13 Likes

Yeah bro, it hurts, but at least we know early. Derek Duke is great as well, he worked on D2 and D3, and WoW, and is still with Blizz.

1 Like

if matt uelmen is not composing D4 it is NOT a “true” Diablo game. if you listen to his stuff it sounds like a Diablo game. VGM usually “fits” into the game 80-90% of the time but this is NOT it. Blizzard would have been better off if they got Matt instead of Derek composing D4. it would have been a better PR move since Blizzard is still under A LOT of heat with that Hong Kong fiasco thing that and getting David Brevik back.

8 Likes

This deeply saddens me. If only they could capture his essence in the new Diablo IV music.

4 Likes

I have no faith in the music of Diablo without Matt Uelmen. Zero. I want to be optimistic but look what happened in D3. Matt Uelmen did for Diablo and Diablo II what Mick Gordon did for the new Doom.

12 Likes

something tells me they will NEVER come close. you need a special kind of “touch” when it comes to composing video game music. matt uelman had that touch and Blizzard may not know it now/did not know it at the time but they had just squandered the only chance to redeem the Diablo franchise. Since the Hong Kong fiasco the public perception of them is extremely negative it would have been smarter to have gotten the original team who built Diablo 1 and 2/LoD to develop D4 which could have generated some small amounts of positive PR to alleviate some of the negative press but they chose not to. they say money is the root of all evil but there are some things money can’t buy ironically.

5 Likes

This is absolutely my “one wish” thing.

If I could have “one diablo game-aspect and one only”
It would be to have Diablo 4 have Matt U on music/effects I think he did too.
Well, in addition to having Brevik and them back on the game’s reigns and decisions.

Diablo II’s “Harem” and “Caves” and “Lut Gholein” tracks are absolutely the coolest thing. So is “Rogue Camp” “Wildnerness” “Tristram” and such. Oh the fist song in Act 3, “Docks” can’t forget that mysterious last 30 seconds of that track.

Diablo 4 even has big numbers already, like 1k damage right off the bat, gold sell values of 917 early on. This is very not good.

Matt-U not working on the next Diablo, ugh, right that’s all one can say.
Its like getting second place at the SB, “Ugh, so close to getting it right”.

“Harem” and “Lut Gholein” and “Docks” and “Rogue Encampment” I could listen to those all day. Harem is my favorite one even if Jerhyn didn’t want us to go in that palace in Lut Gholein.

4 Likes

I played the Demo at Blizzcon, and yes the music was not quite the same unfortunately. it was more ambient vs orchestrated.

1 Like

The most memorable sound track from D2 LOD:
MOOO

5 Likes

like i said before Blizzard may not know it now/did not know it at the time but they had just squandered the only chance to redeem the Diablo franchise.

3 Likes

If I recall Matt worked on Torchlight and TLII with it’s crazy cartoon look, is that a “true” Diablo game just because Matt worked on soundtrack?.

1 Like

A shame he does not come back.

I really hope Blizz understands music must enhances perfectly the mood of the player’s sense of loneliness, fright, relief, or mystery. The music must not rely on a rigid symphonic orchestra, but rather use external instruments, voices, effects, finalised with computer mixing and tweaked to perfectly match every desired atmosphere.

I wonder if different composer like Hans Zimmer could do the job. He worked for video games already.

1 Like

Uelmen is a legend, yes. But there are some amazing composers out there that should get a chance.

I have a feeling the music will be amazing.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought Uelmen’s music was an integral aspect of Diablo’s aesthetic charm. Everything from the ambient sounds to the more orchestral fit in wonderfully. Nothing will ever come close to the Tristram theme from the original Diablo. However, when he went with a more orchestral tone with Lord of Destruction, I think he did an incredible job combining horror and romantic/gothic elements. It’s basically an homage to many classical composers. Beautiful themes are weaved together in a tapestry of ambience and horror.

Diablo 3 just dropped the ball musically-speaking. I feel like it was partly an imitation of LoD’s music but it missed the tone so badly just like everything else about the game.

3 Likes

if they can reproduce the musical mood that the first game had without uelmen i’ll be surprised

Who Cares if hes not involved

Obviously numerous people as evidenced by this thread (and many others I’ve seen in the past). Dude, what’s the point of your post?

3 Likes

Why does it matter hes not involved. Why would it matter if he was. This effects the game a total of 0%

I agree, Matt Uelmen should come back for the game, his music was truly the dark soul of Diablo games haunting our memories till today.
I would love if Blizzard brings him back again, or make some sort of collaboration with him at least.
Music is a very important element in this kind of videogames. It can really amplify and make better a certain feeling or sensation that the game wants to tell us.
I played D3 since launch, and i don’t remember any music from it, none of it stuck in my had or was good enough to be memorable, and that is kind of sad for me…
So please Blizzard, if you say you listen to us, consider this. When we asked for a darker tone we didn’t mean just the colors, music is also part of it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes