New Simulacrum Set

Dual Scythes rune:
(12 + 12 = 24) essence generated per ennemy hit by Grim Scythe
https://eu.diablo3.com/en/class/necromancer/active/grim-scythe

If you put Simulacrums x2 on the line, you get up to 24 * 3 = 72 essence per ennemy hit by Grim Scythe.

That should be enough to cover the cost of Maltorius’ Petrified Spike (40 essence)
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/maltorius-petrified-spike-P61_Unique_Scythe2H_01

The Dual Scythes rune doesn’t double how much essence you get from hitting an enemy, it just pushes them together in front of you. You still get 12 essence per enemy hit with it. We will have to wait and see if you get essence from a Simulacrum using Grim Scythe or not. After all, you don’t have to pay any essence for them to cast your other skills, so it wouldn’t be unreasonable for them not to give you any essence either.

Regardless, the point was that it should be possible for someone spamming Bone Spear during one CoE cycle to get back the essence spent by using a generator in the two off cycles without too much trouble. The only real exception to that is possibly Grim Scythe against a single target (like RGs), if they don’t get any extra essence from their Simulacra.

So why Dual Scythe rune is the only rune having the following mention in its description:
Generate: 12 Essence per enemy hit

It is anyone’s guess as to why it repeats something that is in the base skill description, but I literally just went and tested to be sure, and it definitely only gives 12 essence when I hit a single enemy.

I think Dual Scythe has that mentioned so that you don’t think that you’d generate double the essence.

Don’t forget to put Bone Golem in the build somewhere to pull and group mobs for pushing. After all in S21 we are going to be stacking whole maps to get the seasonal buff to do the work for us like S19.

In group play, I’d imagine someone else is grouping up enemies, not the necro. Solo, I guess that could work, but I’d think that Brigg’s Wrath with a curse skill would be the better option, since it wouldn’t interfere with Zodiac working on LotD if you are using that, and it is just usable more frequently in general. And, getting all three curses in one, all the time, isn’t a bad thing to add to the build if there is room for it.

doesnt the grim scythe itself has a rune that pulls enemys together? Youd have to cast the curse manually then, but maybe thats worth it. Not sure how good it works tho

Briggs is fine for grouping a couple of screens but if you want to pull the whole map you will need the Golem to push the highest solo GR’s.

Dual Scythes groups up the enemies that you hit with it in front of you, yes. But since you probably won’t be using the Fang, losing the relatively low chance of applying a curse on hit isn’t exactly a big loss.

I think grouping ennemies with Dual Scythes, then exploding them with Bone Spear / Shatter rune is one of the ways it’s meant to be played

Maybe. The Dual Scythes only grabs from in front of you, and doesn’t have a ton of reach. So I don’t know that it will pull in any enemies that wouldn’t already be hit by the 15 yard radius of Shatter. Though, it MAY make it so that more of them will take area damage from the others being hit, so it could provide a benefit even if it doesn’t increase the number of enemies hit in a cast. Also, there is a good chance that it will line them up enough to use another Bone Spear rune, like Blighted Marrow, to allow you to get higher damage that way.

2 Likes

IDK how it will do but i hope there will be no place for pathetic crimson anymore. I hate how this ordinary and styless set destroy’d all them interesting belts and itemization overall. If ill be dev ill nerf this to the ground or delete from game.

Next item to kick off is coe with most goofy mechanic in whole game.

i Got enough.

If new set will be BiS without this two poo’s above ill be happy and will main it even if it wont be strongest nec gear.

I casted some teeth’s and it feels amazing with simulacrum on my side. Also exploding one seems strong but not so cool to watch due to poor animation. Other runes are just meh.

Simulacrum changes are awesome.

sry english

It may not be quite as strong as a CoE, but the already existing bonuses from Stone of Jordan should be relatively decent. Between the extra elemental damage and the bonus damage to elites (up to 30%), it should give you the extra power when you need it.

That’s a valid point, btw - are we sure they’re going to leave the extra damage to Elites?

I think it really depends. The legendary effects of items are at least generally secondary effects, rather than primary ones. The bonus damage to elites is a primary effect, so we wouldn’t expect it to be removed to make room for its new legendary power. If it stays though, I could see using SoJ as a replacement for CoE in builds that use it when modifying those builds for speed runs and the like (at least whenever it isn’t the Avarice Band taking its place already).

1 Like

personally i still hope for a bracer as part of the set. Altho very unlikely to happen since its probably as generic as the rest of nec sets.

I dont think soj will have a spot neither. Not for nec at least since nec profits from coe the most anyways and sojs elite damage also blocks either crit, critdamage or cdr.

Also it could very well be that we still use captain crimsons set. It simply adds alot of toughness if you go with rcr. And afaik, it doenst add toughness from rcr with the diminishing returns effect (the stat that you see in the charscreen) but rather from adding up the single stats. So its 8% rcr + 8% rcr = 15,36% rcr = 16% damage reduction?! And either rcr or cdr will be needed if the grim scythe of the mages dont generate essence. Otherwise you have trouble at RGs with no adds. I guess…

Well, I wouldn’t personally advocate for SoJ with this set, but the guy above seems rather dead set against CoE and Crimson’s set, so SoJ seems like his next best option. And, as far as it goes, 30% damage vs elites should always be stronger than 6% extra crit chance or 50% extra crit damage, unless you have managed to stack on a lot of other bonus damage to elites elsewhere. And if they are avoiding Crimson’s set, presumably they won’t need to stack CDR, because since they won’t be using LotD, there is nothing else that would really need it.

As far as CDR or RCR based builds for this set, I certainly think they can work, but I’m pretty sure you can build without either by using Bone Spikes rather than Grim Scythe. With just the RCR you will get from paragon points, 3 Bone Spike casts will give you enough essence for 2 Bone Spear casts, while Grim Scythe would take twice as long with only a single target. Bone Spikes also have the advantage of triggering Bone Prison, which Grim Scythe won’t do.

I personally think that adding Grim Scythe to Haunted Visions is unrelated to this set, and is actually there for existing Grim Scythe builds to use. Even without extra essence gained, they would still be doubling or tripling their damage output. But hopefully we will all know by tomorrow.

I confirm this is correct!
I found the ring in PTR

Yup, but with two fixed rolls on the ring, and the need for a socket, that leaves only one effect to play with, which is less than optimal. Still, while it isn’t the best ring, it is never the less more useful now than it was before, even if only just. I think it would be much nicer if it just added all different +elemental damage bonuses together, rather than making all of them equal to the largest bonus.