New Paladin Animation

TLDR: please go back to the old Paladin animation, just make it look new. They changed how he moves and it’s not an improvement.

I was watching some side by side videos of old animation and new animation. There are a few things I find ‘odd’ in the decisions made. I feel comfortable enough in what I’ve seen that it isn’t just ‘unfinished’ animation but rather different design ‘decisions’.

Blessed Hammer: The old animation kept the shield up and the back foot planted. The new animation pulls the back heel off the ground and pushes the back hip forward, moving the shield completely out of the way. This is consistent to a Karate style ‘punching’ action, but really has no bearing on what should be done for sending out a magic hammer. The old action of keeping the shield up and the back foot planted seems much better IMO. There is really no need to put your ‘hip into it’ when releasing a magic hammer. It also lowers the shield which goes completely against the other animation they have with the shield always being up front.

Hips square vs ‘Open Hips’ – This is the theme for what I’ll be looking at for most of these. The new stance used is Open hip, the old stance is squared up. I’ll start by saying they are both perfectly valid stances and work perfectly well, but they do fall into favor in different spots. Open hips is what’s seen in a modern fencing stance, front knee forward, back leg back, hips at a 45-60 degree angle to your opponent. This is ideal for fighting one guy and using as much range as possible. It comes at the cost of stability and ‘circular’ movement. Square hips is more like what a Boxer, MMA fighter or wrestler uses. High stability, good movement on the circle and lower range. When facing multiple opponents it’s commonly recommended to square up your hips so you are better able to react to multiple attacks from multiple angels.

The shield in front…All the time: is great for fighting one guy in front of you. It’s also perfect for a shield wall where you only deal with the guy in front of you because your friends to each side have their shields right next to yours. It’s not that great for having people spread out in front of you at different angles. Shield only in front means you don’t get to react as well to the guys not directly in front of you. The original animation did not look like this, he was squared up it didn’t cause an awkward movement issue. This awkwardness is caused by trying to combine an open hip stance with running. You just can’t do it right, try it. Get in a fencing position and then run… you will naturally move to a ‘squared’ position because that’s how you run.

The Two handed stance looks great, it’s not as awkward as the shield animation it’s beautiful. It also is not appropriate or true to the original only because of the hip position. Same problem of ‘intent’ on fighting one guy or more…

All of the new animations use footwork that would be constant with fighting one person, not many. The original D2 employed a very squared up fighting position rather than an open hip position. This did look awkward in the low graphics of D2 but it is more appropriate considering the getting attacked from everywhere aspect of the game.

I also find it odd that the Amazon was not changed to this type of movement. She is very much accurate to the original even though her use of the shield should be exactly the same.

6 Likes

I agree, keep the animations more in line with the original

The new animations looks super awkward and clunky on a lot of the characters skills.

5 Likes

D2R characters look bad and move bad. They should really fix this.

5 Likes

I also dont like how they changed fire sorc animation, why when she uses any fire spell she makes a fireplace under her feet?
In D2 there was an animation that showed a delicate fire aura, like the air around her catching fire, and in D2R every time she uses a spell, it looks like she’s burning herself at the stake…

edit: and the frozen orb looks stupid too (it’s not an orb anymore lol)

3 Likes

In short.

The old Blessed Hammer animation looked like he was summoning something righteous.

The new Blessed Hammer animation looks like he’s a Manchester United hooligan.

3 Likes

bad effects again :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

ya the old elemental aura’s pulsed out and seemed like the pulse send the damage out. It wasn’t timed correctly but you got a sense that the aura was sending something out. These just sit there, it doesn’t feel like they radiate anything.

BTW this was the video that drove me to make this thread. You can compare the way the Paladin stands in the original vs the remaster and clearly see they have decided to change how he stands and moves. I assume they had to re-map the figure perhaps even bringing in someone to re-do the motion capture…

It also bugs me that when using sacrifice he moves the sword from the shoulder up above his head then strikes. That is totally on me and shouldn’t be a concern for the game…

1 Like

He always has been but it’s canon now.

1 Like

Please don’t complain about a character animation that was not included in the alpha one test. Maybe there was a reason the paladin wasn’t part of the alpha one test?
Don’t forget that the footage you are showing is from the hacked alpha one version and was never official given to us for test purpose!

1 Like

My version of holy freeze as I dont like original one :slight_smile:

The first time I looked through the ‘hacked’ version I said to wait as this was hacked. I’ve been watching too many video’s of the hacked as the Necy, Pally and Assassin interest me far more than the ‘released’ classes. I can now say I have a better understanding of what was not ready and what seems to be ready. The Paladin Holy Shield, I’m hoping that is not complete, you can still see the original shield behind the glowing holy shield icon. I’ll assume this is not finished as they haven’t taken out the original shield when cast. I also want it to be not finished as I do not like seeing the old shield. Assassin is really easy to see as the fade visual shading isn’t in and cloak of shadows doesn’t dim the sky either.

For the Pally (and sorc for the other thread) I kept my comments to aspects that seem to have taken a lot of work to accomplish and thus can hardly be stated to be ‘unfinished.’ The blessed hammer animation is taken from the from Blizz’s D2R page where you can compare old vs new. There is an easy slider to compare, check for yourself.

For the ‘footwork’ you don’t put all the effort in to re-map the movement as they did in this case to just have it ‘unfinished’. Someone put a lot of work into making the paladin hold his weapons differently and move differently. Same with the sorc casting animation. At this point it falls on a ‘higher up’ decision as to if it is done well and if it should be re-done. I feel its a good time to put my opinion up as the work it will take to put the animation back to the original will take some time.

They do seem to admit the animation for the Pally is not done and perhaps it is because he is running odd. If they are still working on it great, lets put our opinions out and maybe someone just hasn’t told them you can’t run in a side stance, you have to square up…

Yeah, the old one looked like icy mist.

New one looks like purple arcane magic.