New best ARPG incoming

hot take:
tiny tina’s wonderland will take the cake and show all these contesting ARPGs how it’s done :v

I was so sure this was a thread about Lost Ark coming in english :smiley:
Yeah, after Borderlands 3 I wouldnt “worry” about Wonderland…

shush
this will be the ultimate ARPG
diablo 4 go home :v

So, I have been catching up on todays trailers.
I will pull a Skelos* and say, if D4 is not released before Elden Ring, Blizzard might as well cancel it! :heart_eyes: :joy: Dear lord.

(*No I am not actually doing that… If D4 and Elden Ring released the say day, D4 would certainly have to wait though)

well, elden ring is a complete other genre
its a souls like game and has a very niche audience

First of all, I am not sure if you are serious or kidding. Second of all, what kind of game is this? I don’t believe they showed any gameplay or said if it was going to be basically the same as Borderlands (FPS) or if it would be more fantasy based combat. Borderlands 1 was a lot of fun for a couple playthroughs, but Borderlands 2 just felt like more of the same without making big enough changes to the classes/skill system for me to care. Way to simple and not enough active skills and interesting build variety. Never played BL3.

If D4 is anywhere near as good as D2, then D4 takes the front seat for me, but I am excited for Elden Ring. A bit concerned about the soul collecting from enemies though, apparently allowing you to summon them. Kind of neat, but also wish it was more like Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (DS game), where you have a chance to get the enemies soul and the souls had different abilities. I believe there was passive, action, and ability souls, and you could only have 2 or 3 equipped at a time. Collecting more of the souls leveled them up…I think. Been a long time lol. Fantastic game though!

its more going to be like a mix between borderlands and skyrim

Yeah, didnt particularly like the sound of that.
At least it would be nice if some summons are only passively buffing you, so you dont have to feel like you are always playing a “pet build”.

That sounds very close to Nioh 2.

Yeah, agreed on the “summoning” aspect. I wonder if it really means summoning for all of them, or if it might be a spell/skill of sorts. Like “summoning” a knight which actually does an ethereal sword slash in front of you or something. Not unlike elemental in Diablo 1, how you “summon” them and they actually are like a big walking fireball that doesn’t have any AI.

Also wondering if the ability to summon is a substitute for people who are not doing co-op. Probably not, and kind of a stretch, but the game supports up to 4 players in co-op, and the extent of which that functions is not defined yet.

Ah, interesting. Have yet to play Nioh or Nioh 2. It is on my (long) list to play some day. I still need to play Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro. Beat Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2, and Bloodborne.

Nioh is interesting as a Diablo fan, since the two Nioh games are basically a mix of Dark Souls and Diablo. It isnt as good as either of those at their respect strengths, but a fun mix anyway. Possible to spend a lot of time farming lvls and gear, toying around with builds etc.

Fall, so 3 more months at a minimum. But just a little disclaimer for those who don’t know what Lost Ark is. It is fully a typical MMORPG through and through, don’t expect gameplay even remotely like D3 or PoE, even if it looks the same superficially. It has a lot of strengths, but also the same faults of many MMOs today. If your tastes aren’t exclusive to modern ARPGs and like MMOs like WoW, you might find it fun.

I find that Lost Ark has some of the best real-time PvP combat for a top-down view game that I know of so far, something D3 and PoE are very weak in. I find it nice to watch high level play. I figure D4 has so much dev time ahead of it that they’ll probably try to make it comparable. They surely have the resources and talents.