Nerf Thread on General

As I mentioned earlier, of my ~2000 posts in the old forum, only 2 were in the barb forum. I had checked that before the old forum closed. I did this in part because I wondered why I did not even know Free’s name in the old forum. The overwhelming majority of his post were in the barb forum. Our paths did not intersect. My requests for nerf/buffs were invariably in general discussion and not a class-specific forum. This is part of the reason I talk about observation bias and confirmation bias.

Lets leave it at this where we both can independently document post history.

On the new forum, I have repeatedly asked for buffs to weak classes (barbs and monks, and more recently necromancers). On the new forum, I have repeabtedly asked for nerfs to classes I consider overpowered (wizards and more recently crusaders and barbs).

My allegiance is to FUN. I think it would be most fun if many classes could solo within 4 GRs of each other. I think it would be nice if there is more diversity in 4 man meta.

The problem that I have is for people in the name of balance request a buff to their preferred class when it is weak and then turn around and later say that balance is irrelevant when their class is strong. These types of hypocritical arguments annoy me. I am not saying that you or anyone in specific has done this but just speaking broadly.

Deservedly so…GR150 has been done by a barb and a sader in Season let alone non season.

The goal is GR140 with 10,000 paragon according to a dev post so the nerf bat will most defintely hit in S20 to barbs, saders and potentially wizards to reduce their power.

In S19 I’m smashing GR110’s in 3 mins with the barb…GR135+ is fairly easy for a semi casual player.

It’s OP…its against Blizz’s goal…its unbalanced versus other classes.

Ergo a nerf incoming.

Do I want that? No, I’m loving my barb this season but the results of this season versus what Blizzard have said about their goals for balance in threads (whilst we await that blog post on balance) suggests the nerf bat is going to hit sader and barbs for sure in 2.68 for S20.

That isn’t Barb. It’s the Season theme. Don’t confuse that with the power of a class or build.

2 Likes

Free is right in relation to whether they are balancing on seasons vs. non-seasons. They are using non-season for balance as I replied to you in another thread. Multiple crusaders have cleared GR 150 as you said in non-seasons. For barbarians in non-season, the top as of now is GR 146.

1 Like

Again, Micro has already said he has no issue with people being able to clear GR 150 solo.

Either a massive hypocrite, or a bad troll, with a very clear agenda.

1 Like

You have already been corrected about this misperception. See here:

1 Like

Yep, you said you have no issue with people being able to solo 150.

Troll or hypocrite, makes no difference. More and more people are seeing right through your agenda now.

2 Likes

You will think what you will. My words speak for themselves. I do not control what others think or feel.

Remember that what’s right isn’t always popular, and what’s popular isn’t always right. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

They have, and do, speak very loudly, and very clearly. Your agenda is very clear.

3 Likes

My agenda should be very clear. I like game balance. Buff weak classes. Nerf overpowered classes. Simple, honest, and transparent. It appears that my thoughts on game balance are shared by Blizzard.

It’s tough to make too many decisions about class balance right now when everything has become so skewed by the ability to summon angels to kill the RG. Barb’s true power will be much easier to discern with the next patch as we’ll have to actually do some single target dmg.

If I had a preference, it would be for other barb builds to get buffed, or at least for wotw to take the damage off rend and move it back to the actual ww skill (just b/c of server lag).

2 Likes

Barbarians have been having fun for the first time in years this patch.
I think it would be most fun if people trying to spoil that would go away.

5 Likes

Because for the first time in years we’ve been able to do some significant damage without making use of idiotic mechanics like wall-charging. My very first Diablo III hero was a Barb, and it’s been Whirlwind since it was created in May 2012. It’s finally fun to be able to do proper damage in a build I actually enjoy playing rather than having to choose between a build / class I enjoy, or a build / class I can progress on.

1 Like

If the game was better balanced, all classes would be doing similar/proper damage. There would not be a case of the haves and have nots or the fun and un-fun

Well, as Barbs were underpowered for years and finally got a decent build this patch, that’s why we’re having fun.

2 Likes

You claim that being underperforming is bad. I agree. By definition, when a class (or 2) is overperforming, then all other classes are weak in comparison. Wouldn’t it be much better if we did not have good and bad classes but more equity between classes?

@Endeavor

As mentioned earlier:

They are using non-season for balance decisions to avoid confounders caused by seasonal buffs. Multiple crusaders have cleared GR 150 in non-season. For barbarians in non-season, the top as of now is GR 146

A wild alt appears…

This is getting sad.

Stop re-framing the question and issues into empty, obvious outlets for why you think nerfing is a good idea. The ways in which a build or class is defined as “weak” are contextualized by both the games core mechanics of engagement and by comparison to other classes. Barbs weren’t weak just because we cleared 5-10+ GRs lower than other classes. We were weak because we cleared lower, but we also farmed slower and less efficiently, and our strongest builds relied on wall-charge gimmicks. In other words, it’s not only about comparing GR clears. It’s about comparing a number of factors.

Cederquist has said that Sader is overperforming. He has not said the same thing about Barb. Fun Police like to assume a lot of things.

See what I wrote above. Just because a class is overperforming doesn’t reduce the fun for others.

Know how you get that result?

Buffs.

End of story.

3 Likes

It would be great to see other Barb builds get buffed, but moving damage from Rend to WW is A) a nerf, and B ) going to make lag much worse. Rend doesn’t need to be adjusted. It’s fine. Other builds need to be buffed.

1 Like

Player Power (Class A and B)
A>B :arrow_right: A :smile: , B :frowning_face:
B>A :arrow_right: A :frowning_face: , : B :smile:
A≈B :arrow_right: A :smile: , : B :smile: , : Game Producer :smile:

How do we get 3 smiling faces?

1. Only buff, never nerf.
    Powercreep :arrow_up: :arrow_up:. Trivialization of group content :arrow_up: :arrow_up:. Overall game quality :arrow_down: :arrow_down:
  2. Buff and nerf.
    Overall game quality :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

P.S. Free would do not need to respond. These are my opinions. You have yours. We disagree,

1 Like