Nerf Thread on General

No :astonished: it can’t be, there’s a build in the Barbarian class that is actually doing more damage than Wiz’s and Necro’s, after 7 or so years of being our slaves using the ZDPS builds!
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
:exploding_head: Screams the Queen of the Nurf Squad. :guardsman: :guardswoman:

5 Likes

I am not sure what your notifications settings are or for that matter the default setting.

For my account, a thread is “tracked” when I post a reply in that thread. Upon others posting, the thread shows up as unread with a number circled in blue to reflect the number of new/unread posts. For example, when I checked the forum, I noticed that this topic had six new posts since I read it last.

Well-said. Yeah, I checked out of that thread. Can’t deal with that level of awfulness. It only took a single question to disarm and expose their fetish for “balance,” and I have no interest in carrying it any further. I think the likes my posts are getting says plenty, and I’m really happy to see other people calling out the Fun Police.

It’s most telling to me that the collected Fun Police crew are who they are; telling and sad.

3 Likes

Dont have to worry about those relentless losers in GD. Dev is happy with barb.
I hope they got trolled again by dev next ptr.

3 Likes

Ha!

You captured it perfectly. Folks so obsessed with “balance” (hint: that’s not what they’re actually obsessed with) that as soon as Barb is strong, they want it nerfed.

Where were they when Barbs were trailing behind all other classes? Where were they every time we collectively asked for buffs?

Oh, that’s right. It’s not really about balance. It’s about controlling how others have fun with the game and dictating how that fun is doled out. It’s about seeing a class excel when they don’t think that’s the class that should excel. It’s about getting attention when they see a community effectively mobilize. Anything to be seen and noticed. Pathetic.

6 Likes

I do not know the post histories of others in that thread in detail; however, I do know my own. First, I have a longstanding history of asking for balance, both nerfs and buffs. I already provided multiple links to prior posts to demonstrate this fact. Many of these are on the new forum. Here are a couple examples from August:

Here is a quote about nerfing crusaders:

In addition, I was one of the people who expressed strong reservations about bazooka after is initial discovery on the forum. Here is a post I wrote in July:

I also have historically advocated for nerfs to other OP classes and buffs to weak classes. Many of these were in the old forum so I can not link them anymore.

Is there a reason that you had not noticed my posts on the old forum where I advocated for game balance. I strongly suspect that it is related to observational bias. In the old forum, I had ~2000 post, but only 2 were in the barbarian forum. In contrast, you had thousands of post but the vast majority were in the barbarian forum. Prior to the new forum, I did not have a sense of your post history as I visited primarily general discussion while your posts were in the barb forum. Since you have never commented on my posts in the old form, I assume that you do not know them in as much detail as I know them.

Given these documented posts, I think it is fair to say that I have a long-term passion for game balance that is class agnostic. In addition, I asked for barbarian buffs.

The following quote is from ~Why People Ignore Facts | Psychology Today

"Our ability to reason did not develop simply to help us find the truth. Instead, reasoning evolved to fulfill fundamentally social functions, like cooperating in large groups and communicating with others.

This is one of the arguments advanced in “The Enigma of Reason,” a book by cognitive scientists Hugo Mercier and Dan Sperber. According to their theory of reasoning, reason’s primary strengths are justifying beliefs we already believe in and making arguments to convince others. While this kind of reasoning helps us cooperate in a social environment, it does not make us particularly good at truth-seeking. It also makes us fall prey to a number of cognitive biases, like confirmation bias, or the tendency to search for information that confirms what we already believe. "

We all fall victim of “motivated reasoning” and confirmation bias. In these cases with respect to a certain false belief, people ignore facts, seek additional arguments to support their false belief, respond emotional (often resorting to name-calling), and seek comfort and affirmation in like-minded individuals. “Adam Ruins Everything” is clearly illustrative of people’s misperceptions.

1 Like

It’s not a new post i think, but yes, you can search the game producer’s post somewhere :wink:

1 Like

As a long time forum observer, I can say from someone that is not so invested in this game, that there is an agenda and a bias directed at the barbarian class to have it nerfed.
Forest plots and et al, are leading that charge, most of who are posting in the Nerf thread in general.

This is absolutely clear, from the simple fact that none of these people were advocating for buffs for Barb’s during the years that they’ve been trash… Not in the last 6 months dropping facetious statements, I mean years.

Forest plots can claim all they want to, but this is what you look like from an outside perspective.
The more they deny it, the worse it looks.

4 Likes

@Sterps

I think you are mistaken. In the post that is a couple above yours. I provided multiple quotes where I asked for barb buffs as well as nerfs to other overperforming class (such as pre- patch 2.6.7 wizards and patch 2.6.7a crusaders and wizards).

Jut to be clear, I will add another set of quotes to prove that I asked for barb buffs.

Given this, the evidence is unequivocal. “Forest plots” clearly asked for buffs to barbs when they were weak and nerfs to multiple overperforming classes.

Yes, the first time I recall reading a post from the leader of the Nurf Squad was back in last July or August when he, she asked Prokahn where he got his data from and discussed how to get it. At the time I thought “great another numbers person to help the Barb cause”.
Boy was I wrong! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Did you miss my repeated calls for barb buffs when they were weak as I have already provided 7 direct quotes? Several of the quotes pre-date Prokahn’s thread you mention. Some are afterwards.

Game balance was invoked to buff barbs when they were weak and I completely agree as demonstrated by quote after quote after quote after quote after quote after quote after quote.

Also, how carefully did you read Prokahn’s thread on era 11?

The last 4 quotes you provided after Sterps Post, 3 are from August, 1 from July. :confused:

1 Like

The date of the first post in Prokahn’s GR efficiency thread era 11 was August 25. My point was that I have been advocating for barb buffs well before you “noticed” my posts. At that point in time, barbs were underperforming in terms of being a weak class and deserved a buff that they now have received.

Also during that time, I asked for wizards nerfs because they were overperforming. I agreed with Blizzard’s decision to nerf wizards and thorn necromancers as they were overperforming. I am consistent in my views.

Buff the weak, nerf the overpowered. This is an opinion. Some people want “Only buffs”. Neither opinion is right or wrong. Some people like to eat chocolate, others don’t.

In terms of game design, I think “Only buff” leads to unnecessary power creep and given that top group are clearing in 4 man GR 150 in under 5 minutes, buffing all class to GR 150 (which would be necessary to get classes to the current crusader level) would further trivialize 4 man groups. Some people don’t care. I understand their opinion but disagree.

Now you are Jumping around like a flea an a hot plate, chill out, you don’t like getting caught lying do you? :hushed:

1 Like

If I accused someone of lying, I would provide evidence rather than a vague unsubstantiated allegation.

For example, person X claims person Y never asked for buffs to a specific class. If person Y provides multiple quotes that demonstrate otherwise then I would believe the veracity of person Y.

I have linked previosuly several articles on confirmation bias and motivated reasoning . We all do it to differing extents for various issues. The psychology of this is fascinating.

Just look at the Dates from your last 8 self quotes in this Topic none predate:

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

This thread by Prokahn was created August 25. I was the second post. This is the the first GR efficiency thread that I ever posted in that Prokahn made. As you already noted, I asked for buffs to barbs back in July. July pre-dates August. In addition, this thread was from late August. Several of my August posts pre-date the 25th.

1 Like

Exactly what Sterps was talking about.

2 Likes

You initially claimed that I never made a post that pre-dates late August in relation to buffing barbs. Now that you have been shown your error, you are trying to say that I need to provide evidence from years ago. This would be quite easy to do given my post history using the search function in the old diablo 3 forum. Unfortunately, Blizzard recently deleted the entire old forum.

I made ~2000 posts on the old forum that included many posts asking for nerfs or buffs to specific classes. For example, when seasons first came into existence in RoS, I asked for a nerf to marauder DHs even though I mained a DH. Likewise, I asked for buffs to various classes historically including barbs in the old forum.

1 Like

I never wrote that and you know it, I wrote I never noticed any posts of yours before last July.

Your 2000 posts never interested me in the old Forums I guess and if you asked for buffs for Solo Barbs I think I would been interested in them, especially if you made such comments in the Barbarian Forum because I read that one a lot. I don’t recall seeing your name ever in the old Barb forum advocating for Buffs or Nerfs to the Barbs, can anyone else?