Nerf Shadowhook, Keep 4th Cube

Has anyone run the numbers on shadowhook? It is never equipped on a character, and its power is just cubed. If this one item is making the 4th cube slot OP for necromancer, why not just nerf it? What am I missing?

1 Like

Valthek’s Rebuke.

Whether or not LoD Twister can stand up to Masquerade Bonespear is immaterial. What matters is that there are some builds which benefit more from a 4th slot than others, and that the latter of the aforementioned is not the only one.

The sharp-eyed among you (you know who you are) would quote my other posts and ask why I am now seemingly arguing against something I desperately want to become a permanent part of the game. Well…I’m not. I do want the 4th cube slot to be permanent. I also happen to want some balance between classes.

If (and it’s a big If) they decide to make this a permanent part of the game, it isn’t just Releina’s Shadowhook that needs a nerf bat. They would need to go through each and every streamer-approved build and figure out how to bring it all in line with everything else. Because…you know…that’s just worked so well with the sets and LoD builds we already have, and lumping a 4th slot into the equation wouldn’t complicate things at all…

Dude…I agree with you: I want the 4th slot in a bad way. But the people who have brought up balance concerns have a point. It took these guys 6mo to add a red beam to Primal drops. How long will we wait to balance an extra cube slot?

Also…I don’t want the above text to be misrepresented as an endorsement of crippling nerfs applied haphazardly to every class we love. Looking your way, Blizzard. If some things need to be brought down, I’m sure some things need to be brought up as well.

“Balance” doesn’t need to be code for “your build is gone.”

1 Like

Or they could just keep Necromancer OPness and buff the weaker builds and sets.

2 Likes

Also yes.

Not the first time this term has been used. Also not the first time somebody has gently suggested finding another term to use.

1 Like

I would also add to this conversation that if the fourth slot is implemented as it is now, there would be a lot more crusader builds using Norvald’s, which is not ideal.

Norvald’s is good for what it does, but some playstyles don’t mesh well with using steed charge the way it does.

Adding the fourth slot brings variety, for a while, then people will start complaining about balance and how their build isn’t keeping up with the strongest builds, then people once again ask for another slot, and we’re again back to square one. The circle of complaining continues. Before the fourth slot, all classes had some build that was at a decent competitive level, possibly excluding wizard. And more balance was on its way, then the fourth slot was added and again we get an extreme power difference between classes/builds.

Now, I’m still advocating for a dedicated utility slot, because it can benefit everyone, at most maybe adding 1 gr higher with buffs such as nemesis. With that slot, you could tailor to your playstyle, much more than the obvious power buffs do, bringing more variety. Ofcourse, this coupled with regular updates to builds so we get a broader range of viable builds.

2 Likes