Multicore preformance D4

Is D4 going to be able to leverage the power of multi-core processors are we still going to be stuck in the last century? You’re making it more expensive to game than it needs to be,

4 Likes

I’d be disappointed if D4 doesn’t make use of at least 4 cores. 6 and 8 core CPUs getting settled in very well in recent times.

At the very least, optimize the game to run faster on AMD hardware; I’m due for an upgrade next year and eyeing off a rig with Zen 3 and RDNA 2.

3 Likes

As a minimum I hope they have options like what you stated, that enable stronger computers. Why I say options is because Blizz normally tries to set the minimum system requirements pretty low.

2 Likes

Blizz will set the bar low because profitability requires that. The higher the hardware requirements, the fewer players who will buy the game. Players should also not get an advantage because they have better hardware than another player.

Games that don’t require a subscription live off casual players.

Of course but it doesn’t mean they should shun the opportunity to make use of modern or higher end hardware. They can make a game with low end requirements to run it at all but needs beefy specs if players want to push it to the limits.

In D3, this has been a thing for years; those with SSDs load up dungeon or rift levels much faster than those with HDDs.

1 Like

That depends on how many players have multicore computers. You don’t want to lock them out of being able to play the game unless you have to.

I don’t think you can find single-core Windows 10 computers. And if there are some, the number is probably lower than 8-core systems out there.

IBM stopped selling dual-core servers ca 2006. I expect home systems to have already followed suit 10 years later.

IMHO - dual-core support should be expected.

1 Like

Oh so players go out and buy new computers all of the time. There are no doubt many that don’t have that kind of money to do that. So they will be stuck with what they have till they get the money to be able to get a new computer to play the newer games. Even PoE noticed that when they went with multicore support by having it turned off by default.

The minimum requirements for Diablo 3 are dual core CPU. Gamers on average upgrade every three to five years. If you’re still rocking less than 4 cores you’re not going to be able to run Diablo 4 anyway the instructions per second of your CPU will be too low. Personally I don’t care if the minimum requirement is a potato. It should still be able to take advantage of a multicore CPU.

1 Like

imo if you have a modern average gaming computer the part having most negative influence on your gaming experience will allways be the internetconnection…

2 Likes

Why did Path of Exile make it where multicore support is off by default. According to you they should’ve been either multicore or no playing Path of Exile.

Because the POE programmers are dealing with six year old coding overlaid with multiple patches, kludges, and additions. According to me properly optimizing for multicore performance requires starting from scratch. Diablo 4 is a new game.

What about Casuals?
I think that they would upgrade every 10+ years.

But since D4 won't be resleased soon, not even Blizzard Soon™, that would place the release date around 2022, 10 years after D3. Casuals should have upgraded by then.

At that point, I think you can assume that the “common denominator” is at least a quad-core. (But you’d still should back it up with actual data)

If current Steam stats are anything to go by:

1 core - 0.64%
2 cores - 21.14%
4 cores - 52.47%
6 cores - 19.44%
8 cores - 4.62%

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

Over the past few months:

6 and 8 cores are growing
4 cores is holding steady
2 cores is dropping
1 core is slowly bleeding away into oblivion

3 Likes

Depends on what you mean by casuals. It’s not going to run on integrated graphics so they’re spending at least enough on their computer to have four cores. If you’re talking about mom’s chromebook forget it.