Mrllamas take on "Pls put PLOOT"

How does forcing the players to only play solo if they want a fair chance at loot, regrow the community?

2 Likes

How’s this for a mindbender:

I think Diablo 3 would have been a better game with FFA loot, and I think D2 would have been better with Ploot, from the very beginning of both games.

Since high-end loot drops like crazy in D3, while it’s much more rare in D2, switching those loot systems around would have made both games better.

They try, but the bot just keeps going so the only person doing any work is the player. There was some kind of bot a while back that would prevent you from joining, but I have no idea how that could work.

Makes me wonder how complex and integrated some of these bots may be.

FFA does not “force people to only play solo if they want a ‘fair chance’ at loot”.

This is what I meant earlier ITT about logical distinctions.

One solution to FFA loot is to play pub games, add people to your friends list quickly, and then organize loot share with them. Just an idea. Or you know, maybe I get a gg necro drop in a pub game - add the person to my friend’s list - and then trade away in case the person gets a nice sorc drop I want?

The oversimplification of the current loot system is a disservice to this entire discussion.

Yeah let me guess - all those posters have 10,000 hours of PoE as well.

10k hours PoE; 10k hours D2; 10k hours D3? Has anyone read “Outliers”?

let me post the whole post from him. insted of nitpicking

So a lot of people seem to disagree but few are arguing against my main point:
How will this work without completely changing the item quantity?

Let’s say you’re in an 8 player game. When you kill a unique monster in Diablo 2 there will ALWAYS be 1 item and 4 potions that drop. This is true on players 1 and players 8.

So now the question becomes…does this monster all of the sudden drop 8 items? Does he only drop 1 item and then randomly assign it to a single player for X time? I honestly can’t see either of these being good options. The first one just explodes the game with items and would massively change the economy and balance, while the second one would be miserable to play only getting 1/8 of the items that drop from these monsters (which are the juicy monsters that you want to farm). Also if I teleport forward and kill a group of monsters on my own, do I get that loot or is it still gonna just randomly assign to people behind? How miserable would it be to go kill a monster, see a griffon’s drop from a monster you killed but it’s greyed out because it’s not your loot. Then the level 10 player you were rushing comes walking up behind you and grabs it.

Maybe this sounds enjoyable to some of you guys but to me I just think it would be a terrible experience for Diablo 2. Like I said in the video, private games/group games with friends are best for looting and public games are best for experience. I still firmly believe this and I’ve yet to see any argument that changes my mind on it because nobody has really discussed how it could affect any of these issues above. They just say, “Well I had a guy with Pickit grab the Griffons in a Chaos game once so I want to be able to create a Personal loot game and it won’t affect you in your shared loot game.” Which just doesn’t address so many things.

3 Likes

FFA does force players to play solo if they want a fair chance at loot due to the bots and players who use pickit scripts that steal loot from legitimate players in FFA. That is how it was fixed in D3, by using a personal loot system. So if it’s just an option in D2R, how does not having it regrow the community?

FFA and PLOOT summarized

D2 FFA with my friend doing regular public cs runs.

Shako drops. Me: “oh shako dropped!! I didnt get it, did you get it??” Friend: “Yuuup, i got it :smiley: celebrating and confident tone” Me: “HELL YEAAAA”

Me and my friend playing D3 ploot.
Cricket noises

7 Likes

I already showed that they are not forced - it seems you didn’t read my post in its entirety, so here it is again:

So you think players are going to chose to play with bots/pickit players during loot farm runs in public multiplayer?

Well technically, Llama was arguing against a system that’s not even being proposed.

2 Likes

Does pickit exist in D2R already? Did they show up in beta or something?

1 Like

I find plenty of items with holes in them though. Those are socketed items, surely.

Pot meet kettle.

Isn’t he by far mostly a SP solo player? Which there is absolutely nothing wrong with.

The reason people play solo in PoE has absolutely nothing to do with its MP loot rules.

(Or maybe it has, in the sense that everyone getting their own loot D3 style would make more people play MP, but that would also not be a good example from either plooters or anti-plooters point of view :smiley: So let me rephrase, the reason PoE has less MP games than D2 is not because of its loot rules)

Dear lord. See this is the difference between Rhykkers and MrLlamas videos. Rhykker understands basic concepts.
I have absolutely nothing against MrLlama, I am sure he is a fine person. But I assume the reason he do not understand basic concepts is because he does not want to understand them.

I like this take.
I dont exactly agree with it. D3 would still be a complete mess of a game with FFA.

This scenario would be 100% the same with Timed Allocation loot :smiley:
Ah the dishonesty.

1 Like

While i agree that Rhyker understand basic concepts it was very clear he had no idea of the effects of what he was advocating for. It was the type of case where you say “lets bolt some 1000kg rocket thrusters into this car so we can get to work faster. Also im not acknowledging any repercussions it could have.”

1 Like

half of this games fun for me is always being on your toes and completely responsive to what is being killed. ploot sounds like the lamest thing ever, you and your party being mentally half-afk just picking up allocated drops. if that’s really the experience they want from d2 then whatever let them knock themselves out

4 Likes

So…you…just…ENABLE…FFA…LOOT…in…the…game…settings… if that’s the system you prefer.

1 Like

Pickit (and bots) is in D3, just not used often because of the personal loot option. D3 is on the same B net as D2R. Take an educated guess.

Like I mentioned to another poster above, it’s impossible to speak on behalf of a heterogeneous group as if it is a monolith (your “forced”). Nobody is forced.

There are in-game solutions to this, and grouping up is one of them. Plenty of players are still going to play pub games, it’s as simple as that - in particular the leechers at ladder start who want to get ‘boosted’ to end game by picking a fairly weak class to start, just so they can start mfing on that character from the get-go.

A dose of reality ^ here.

Your solution was to try to find friends in public games then play with them in private games. How does that regrow the community since games are now just private again. First you stated for them to join public games to find friends. You advocated for public games then contradicted yourself by telling them to play private games afterwards. Additionally, many of these friends that you are tying to find to play private games with wouldn’t even be using public games in the first place due to the bots/pick it players since they don’t want their loot to get stolen due to no option to prevent it in public games. Not sure how playing private games with your friends regrows the community.

2 Likes

Oh, let me continue this subjective ACTUALLY HAPPENED experience then:

Playing Poe with my friend.
Short allocation exists, but wait, its a useless feature… We not even playing in the same games and when we rarely are for convenience reasons, its still FFA O.O