Mortick's VS Strongarms? (whirlwind and leap-quake builds)

Hey, guys, my favorite builds are the leap-quake and whirlwind builds and I was initially really excited when I heard Mortick’s would be making a return and thought it could do some great things for these builds…

But, after reading many posts here, it seems like Mortick’s are now mostly pointless.

I currently use Strongarms for those two builds, and in no scenario can I make Mortick’s theoretically come out on top VS Strongarms for those builds.

Which is understandable for the leap-quake build, but I thought for sure someway it could be better for the whirlwind build with perma-wrath…but even there I struggle to find a scenario where it can outperform Strongarms for speed-farming.

Anyone else have any different thoughts? Is Mortick’s really that lame now? :confused:

Thanks for any advice!

I haven’t played WW in a while. Do you use any defensive skills? The survival and sustain of Mortik can let you drop all defensive skills for offensive. For example, War Cry can go to Threatening Falter for 25% more damage that should offset Strongarms somewhat.

1 Like

Morticks aren’t pointless, it’s just that the benefit is the utility. I bet it’ll still find its way into many builds, but not TOO many…which is a good thing. WW and Hota are probably the only clear winners.

Hey Paulus,

Morticks will be pretty good for lower GR clears with WW. They’ll give you a good chunk of toughness and healing. You should know that Strongarms are only an additive damage increase, which means around 10% for Leapquake and 20% for WW. Also, I took a peek at your Leapquake barb and didn’t see any way to actually proc Strongarms. Usually I use Call of Arreat instead of Death from Above.

Mortick’s is, sadly, very outdated–the item was originally meant to drop in Patch 2.2.0. In 2.6.6, the item will have a few uses in 2 builds: IK HOTA and Zodiac WW.

In IK HOTA, it can replace Aquila Cuirass in the Cube. It will provide the same DR and better healing, but it won’t provide additional DPS. That means for most players, it makes the build slightly easier to play when you’re low-Paragon and don’t have many Augments. As you push into higher and higher tiers, however, you’ll likely trade Mortick’s for Magefist for the extra Fire damage.

Mortick’s functions much the same way for Zodiac WW. It will provide some extra defense for speed-farming T16 and will be a good substitute for Parthans as you farm lower GRs. However, once you start to push higher GRs, the DR offered by Mortick’s can’t compare to Parthans, and you’ll swap back. If there was a way to trade PoC + IP for Mortick’s, that would be a fair trade, but there isn’t.

Sadly, Mortick’s is not an end-game item in any build.

For more info, see Part 2 of this post:

2 Likes

Threatening shout is used to pull Mobs, to make them follow you, but the best skill for that build is ancient spear.

Anyway i’m totally agree with Free, morticks only make you have more confort in low GR’s, we can say we can do now more easily 100’s GR at low Paragon. But when there are other classes that can do 110’s with just 800 Paragon… Hopeless anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback! So the Stun effect from Death from Above doesn’t proc Strongarms?! Haha…I thought I read somewhere that it did? If not, that’s kind of funny.

No sir! To proc Strongarms, you need to knock mobs back, or pull them in. Like I said, Call of Arreat is the way to go when using Strongarms with Leapquake. I cleared 122 using them.

1 Like

If there was a way to trade PoC + IP for Mortick’s, that would be a fair trade, but there isn’t.

Maybe that trade will work well for T16 farming?

Couple of problems there. You want IP Bravado for speed-farming, so you’ll want PoC to extend it unless you opt for Avarice + Boon of Hoarder + Gold Wrap. Even then, the better bracer will be Nems, which you always want for speed-farming any content. Sure, you can use Mortick’s in place of Nems if you need it, but it’s at best a temporary substitute until you have the gear, Paragon, and Augments needed to use Nems.

You might be tempted to put it in the Cube, but you’ll lose 25% multiplicative damage from Mantle, and that will put you even further behind.

I would only recommend Mortick’s for Hardcore T16 where you might sacrifice Nems for more toughness and not worry about Parthan procs, but even then, if you have a Fire immunity amulet and good Para/Augs, you’re probably still better off with Nems.

Mortick’s isn’t best in slot for any situation.

Inspect my build on Character named Harley. This is the current grift speed farming build. I use this build for 3-4 minutes runs. Whatever you are able manage in 3-4 minutes use this set up. In this 3-4 minute range we will likely switch to echoing fury in the cube as we can keep the buff up the entire time except for the rift guardian. There will also be a set up while wearing mortiks and witching hour while still using furnace in cube. This works best for runs in the 5-10 minutes range. Just some of my testing on the PTR.

1 Like