Monk Buff Proposal

first: i do not like gen build since its so squishy.
but why i don’t think it works: you need ias on wh to get 2.2 aps unbuffed + you play 0 rcr, 0 cdr with that build since you do not have any cooldown (except boh for spirit, but this is no problem with 2.2 aps). so the effect would be losing 50% reduction of unity (or of lev shoulder) and aps versus around 30 dmg and reduction. this really does not sound well in my eyes - but tbh, i’m not an expert for gen monk, i did never play it long time but i tried a little bit around with it and had some discussion with an experienced gen monk player. he was the one teaching me to at least have 2.2 aps and i tried it out by playing the gen with all para in vita (so the gem gets you regeneration) and could easily wipe out a 105 grift with only 1.7 mio screen dps. i had full spirit all time long which i never had vefore the switch to 2.2 aps.
on the gen monk you even have no place to skill epi and since you have 0cdr all runes sound nice but would not help since you have it only running sub 1/2 of the time.
lpss is a nogo for gen since you do not spend spirit ,you lose it. loh is way to go. with 2.2 aps its very helpful.

1 Like

I know it’s silly I suggested it to cover its lack of defense. Why would a gen monk need RcR otherwise?

he does not need it since he has no spender. he deals dmg by using generator. so tge synergy is near 0. you need another sorce of getting defense. one is have 7k paragon and 3k in vita.

If a build can hardly clear gr105 I doubt it’s RGK material. If that build needs loads of vitality to stay alive but LpH may help then it needs to be supported with a secondary safety net (MoSalv-Divine?). Add boatload of dodge chance (Dash-Blinding?) just so it can stay alive and utilize LpH too. I’m no expert either. I know those skills mean potential damage loss but from the day one, game’s recovery always worked like that.

Last pick for R6-gen would be adding a damage mitigation trigger on Dashing Strike or emphasizing the dodge bonus coming from Blinding Speed; allowing this skillrune to grant more dodge chance.

Fixing Monk to deal more damage on other specs shouldn’t take them long. Seriously. Inna and SwK can be fixed but not in a way you wanted. You may see buffs at damage amplify against cc’d enemies and no mention for removal of less than 3 enemy restrictions. I have no idea why are they exactly keeping it. Wizards and Barbarians suffer the same thing who are at very end scales for dealing burst damage. Yet I know it’s to not promote mass area damage since it can be overpowered and hover above all strategies in a time trial if no restrictions are given.

I’d say it again I like the idea if Epi all rune ring or belt. At least they can give us an item that unlock one extra Epiph skill rune.
I see no problem with the proposal or its numbers. I believe CM already took notes. I’m here just to snowball the ideas.

Good, they should buff monk with solo play in mind, I dont give a … about group play. totally different ballgame.

2 Likes

i’m sorry but from what you are writing it sounds you have never gotten into deep play with monk. it might be wrong but to say that a gen monk has no potential for rgk is wrong, there were times where he was rgk. i wrote i whiped through 105 as if it were nothing with just no screen dps. on eu server there is a 133 clear with the gen. its the strongest build IF you survive. in a group this is not the big deal. playin the three gen bp 0cc monk you are even a better rgk than dh is but noone seems to be able to do it. just sayin, its nothing against you, i absolutely appreciate the discussion. i try just to point out that the build got its limit (and all other builds too). it needs a buff simply because its weak, but the way how to buff is very limited. its kind of what free writes, they get buffed items but in the build they do not use. like carmesin: its not playable with inna as long as you do not take the 2h weapon. there are too many musthave items for a build and especially the gen has no chance to change any skills, esp the passiva: you need soul, the ias boost on gens and sti offense and harmony defense.

the crowd control thing you are talking about i do not understand well, maybe i’m dumb or my english skills simply bad, but, the cc restriction on cesars is just change rune in epi to light, then you do always cc and get the dmg. the cc thing on wol is just take fire rune and you deal the dmg. you say you cannot remove since server lags and i say no matter if its there or not, right now the dmg is the same, you simply need to watch where to ring the bell and without that restriction its not the case. so on solo play there is no reason for the restriction and also in groups nothing would change since you deal the dmg anyways. my suggested changes of removing the restriction would not change anything on the build as it is but would open for light rune on wol eg and give dmg to ltk and tr since they are just worse dmg wise. i’d hope for some feedbck from blizz since the game as it is right now is complicated to change if you are not doing the hard reset. i think they did the restriction on kyo blade because they wanted you to do onky 150%+ dmg on wol until you are at the rg. its similar to new bazooka style, people found out how they can walk aroubd the restriction and do always to full buff dmg.

2 Likes

So some ideas I would implement:

• Raiment (4): Dashing Strike now reduces damage taken by 50% as well as refunding a charge

• Sunwuko 7th Piece: Boots

• Rogar’s Huge Stone: Your Life per Second now adds a point to your Armor (exact number to be determined based on balancing needs)

• Band of the Rue Chambers: Spirit Generators generate 40-50% more Spirit and Spirit Spenders deal 80-100% increased damage

• Epiphany (base rune) increases Spirit Regeneration by 20 per second, reduces damage taken by 20%, and increases damage dealt by 20% for 20 seconds

nice ideas, thanks. the suggested buff on epi could also be a +x% on each hit for the next 20 (30?) secs to help ltk a bit more than wol. and of course cc immunity, right?

I mean the passive.

They can unlock Sandshroud to Epiph via an item. Then you’d be free to pick it. However LoN build with Blind Faith or picking Flurry skillrune with Frostburn would solve the issue.

ha and i was talking about legendary item power :slight_smile: of course the restrictions on the passiva is right…

another item you need is kind of hard to integrate since you lose so much. that ring suggestion would even give any rune

Monks need to break free from Unity. If there is a damage reduction ring, we could play in groups without the need for a zdps.

But we would also need to increase the damage while maintaining the balance between builds.

LoN / LoD WoL and R6 / Gen are quite similar, Uliana should be a weaker 2 lvls only. We need to think about this when we ask for buffs, we can’t let only 1 build be stronger.

If possible, a ring with DMG reduction + DMG increase would be ideal, all monk builds would benefit proportionally. Also, devs would not need to rework each set or each legendary item.

LTK needs an additional item for RCR and DPS boost

Change ulianna’s 2 piece bonus to “Seven sided strike gains all the runes” - Thus changing how mystic rhythm interacts with exploding palm, not having it automatically apply after hitting with generators. Also It would promote the inna/uli sss build, plus adding the much wanted option of running the cold rune for sss. After that, it’s just adding damage on uli set and legendaries until it’s strong enough.

Add native dr to raiment and uli set - So you can avoid running unity.

As mention above, add boots to sunwuko set.

They could change Mythic Rhythm to a dynamic buff that affects all your spenders for 2 seconds after your 3rd generator strike. That would get rid of the bizarre snapshot mechanics.

2 Likes

That would be a step in the right direction but not enough imo.

I feel like Rogar would be a good ring to make Monks defensive ring for group play. I know Monks are behind most classes, but making a strong defensive and offensive ring probably won’t happen. No class has a ring that offers both I think.

Absolutely, thats why I suggested a) a new ring (called ring of ytar, see above) and some changes to epi (destert shroud to 80% and fire rune to additional dmg increase)

Only defense is not enough since you lose one important ring, most likely coe, so at least dmg factor 1.4 is needed. see suggestion above. Maybe no class has it like that but no class is as behind as monk (and barb probably).

Nice idea, but I prefer the following nice idea:

I think its clever since you only apply ep manually. Spirit is not a problem with that build, maybe the initial sss need to hit then, otherwise you can’t bring palms to all people.

yeah, see before

Ok, seems to be a good wish, mentioned at least 3 times now

Hm, I think gen is just a step in front, as you can see on eu LB. Its not that much but it seems to be gen approx 2 lvl in front of LoN wol and this is maybe 1 lvl abouve inna WoL. Uli is definitely weaker since a person I know with 5k para did a 122 clear uli (and he is really good in uliana play) and I did 120 with inna WoL and 2.6k para. This are 12k dex difference + his higher gems. Maybe I have a little more caldesan on gear.

You need to keep your requests realistic though.

Every class has a defensive ring. A lot of classes have offensive rings. No class has one that provides both.

1 Like

Its ok for me, but then you even need to buff the other sets more (or the leg powers of items). Monks offensive power is very linear (except gen - a reason why gen is more effective the more you push). Bringing a WoL one level higher is a pretty hard thing. I play that build oh so long (I even did not switch when gen first came up and was clearly better) so I have massive experience there. There was a simple reason for that: gen is unplayable squishy.

I think your point is right, dont ask for too much, but even then: buff desert to 80% reduction would help all builds except uliana and generator. For gen it only can help if you have an item that gives you 100% uptime of epi since you have no cdr - and that would also make gen more mobile + no cc effect can affect him, and thats a key. We can ask for that and more buff all sets but then again LoN would fall behind, that maybe can get better if you introduce new pants for monk: as long as your epi runs your dmg is increased by xxx%. Pants is something you can not change if you play a set based build (or you lose some other key item) but helps on LoN. It needs to overcome the 20% elemental dmg + give an extra boost, so maybe 100-200% could be right.

I’d play a combo style monk - just like d2 had it with the assassin. Yeah, yeah we got mythic rythm but in the reality you pick either wol or ltk and spam the living … of it.

Yes, but also isnt the 2-piece applied ep not triggering area damage, meaning you miss out on a lot of extra damage.

Forgive me if i’m wrong, but i remember reading something about it when learning about how you play ulianna.