Modded gear on PS4. Security Risk?

I have been playing Diablo 3 a few months now and curiously it wasn’t until last night I had a run in with modded gear. A good part of this is most likely because I spent most of my time in Seasonal play but due to the preseason break I jumped into the normal adventure mode. Two players had joined and began flooding the screen with primals and triple socketed jewels, not to mention emailing me tons of gold and other items. Swept up in the excitement, I picked up these items and it wasn’t until after I equipped these items that I noticed the peculiar nature of them and their generic labeling like “Fissure” or “Torch” to name a couple. Being the paranoid person I am, I started to become concerned that I may have unknowingly opened myself up to some security risks though after researching the forums I see the main concern with these items is focused around compromising the integrity of the game and its legit-ness. Has anyone heard of any security risks to their home network and computers from using any of these items via their PS4 console?

1 Like

The PS4 is a closed system…getting modded gear in D3 does not in any way compromise your PS4 at all. There is no security risk to the PS4 OS.

The modded gear comes from modding on PS3 and importing to PS4, the PS4 OS security keys have been found but using geohot as the example hackers only use the keys to make custom firmware and edit saves and have never, AFAIK, released the keys into the public domain unlike the PS3’s ones that geohot did.

So they cannot introduce anything to your PS4 unless you run one of these custom firmwares and even then that is not the hackers purpose in using custom firmware as they are hardly likely to release custom firmware then introduce a security risk…and running custom firmware means you cannot go online via PSN as well.

You are safe.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the response, I am probably just being overly paranoid. It just seemed odd no one addressed this type of question in any discussion forum at least that I was able to find. My thought was being Diablo 3 saves data locally on the PS4 it would allow for some type of remote code execution and being the PS4 is in the secure network it could potentially access any system in that network.

1 Like

No whilst saves can be modified via very few online services the OS of your PS4 can only be manipulated if you run a custom firmware on it which you won’t given you are online.

But good point, this info is not readily available or known. Perhaps this post will help serve others in the future.

1 Like

Recently decided to switch over to ps4 for season 21. Just wanted to see if there was any issues with modded gear on seasons? If I need to stick to solo to avoid it that’s fine.

From what I have experienced season play on PS4 has been a safe haven from modded gear.

1 Like

only switch has actual modded gear in seasons… ps4 just has exploits that people have managed to get around with, to make it easier to get primals, but other than that, our seasons are just about cheat free.

1 Like

Switch is a different issue…whilst PS4 and XB1 have not been fully hacked and released to the public the Switch has…therefore save editors exist that can edit D3 saves and they can edit Seasonal characters and add in the insane modded gear.

This is why the Seasonal leaderboards for Switch all have entries for solo players at GR150 in 2 mins.

Well…in the future…but up to the individual…someone gets in and drops that crap…don’t pick it up, just quit out and sign back in…stuff is a virus and disease that has ruined the game and many players…

To anyone who reads that, it is not an actual “virus” that will mess up the game or your system. To clarify…

Same problem on xbox360 today. Picked it up, geared it on. But it looked suspicious in was going to search in internet. Can i get a virus or can somebody hack into my xbox now?
I am panicking.

Nonseasonal on X-Box is modded-gear prone. Almost everyone playing groups has modded crap. Wait untill Season, there’s no modded bull on x-box seasonal play!