Mid to high levels PK'ing level 8s

As I solely play private games, it was from a friend that shared of the news that some public normal level games are sometimes hosts to PK’rs who are at mid to high levels and who are killing level 8s on hardcore.

I am one that loves to promote this game for people of all ages to try and to find gamers to enjoy playing together. The fact that a new player cannot opt out of being killed in the game that they have finally found one or more people to play with is more of a game bug than something to experience or as a game feature. Yes, they can simply leave and start a private. Yet, these are new players and most appear to not have cultivated a good list of online D2 gamers to play privately with. Leaving a game where a high level is PK’ing them is really not a choice for this category of player. They just quit.

I am not against PK’ing, yet I wish there was a kind of a level limit or a means to opt out when being hunted while new to the game and/or while finally reaching level 8. Good people that would want to play as a part of a team simply quit when they just reach level 8 and are killed by someone at level 60+, 70+, or as high as 80+. The new gamer’s action of leaving the game is a loss to the Diablo 2 community.

I can see how PK’ing can be fun, yet it is at a cost to those who simply love to play and who love to be challenged by the quests and who choose to work in teams to tackle challenges together.

Sorry to share of a tiny gripe.

:alien: :dolphin:

1 Like

First off, you are ridiculous.
2nd, the game is rated M for mature and isn’t meant for all ages.
3rd, getting pked is a valuable learning experience.
4th, “finally reaching level 8”? You make it sound like it’s a milestone accomplishment.
5th, clvl 8s can’t be pked.
6th, for someone who claims to have played this game for 2 decades, you sure sound like a newb.
7th, stop trolling the forum with your ridiculousness, please.

7 Likes

Maybe you shouldn’t advise new players who (officially) aren’t even old enough to play the game, to play in hardcore mode?

1 Like

Sigh. I guess that those comments are a part of an online culture that thankfully does not have an effect on real life. Thank goodness. Sigh.

1 Like

For those who haven’t actually played Diablo 2 and don’t know how it works, players must be at least level 9 before they can declare hostility or have hostility declared upon them - thus, if you are level 8 or lower, there is no way for another player to harm you aside from surrounding your town portal with monsters.

Furthermore, when creating a new game on Battle.Net you can specify a maximum Character Level Difference (just below the number of players) to prevent high-level characters from joining and ruining your fun. For example, if you start the game as a level 7 character and set it to 3 levels, then players below level 4 or above level 10 will not be able to join.

As mentioned above, getting to level 8 isn’t really much of an accomplishment - even when playing solo you’ll likely reach that by the time you rescue Deckard Cain, which shouldn’t take longer than 30 minutes unless you’re being really cautious.

Also, I doubt I’m the only person here who finds random bold worlds in the middle of sentences to be distracting and annoying.

2 Likes

You can’t be PKed at level 8 bruh

Either you or your friend is a liar

Also, as pointed out, the game isn’t meant for all age. Although I find age ratings to be pretty bs (I was playing gta and mortal kombat with my family when I was 7 and that didn’t make me violent or anything), on a M rated game, nobody is expected to censor themselves.

1 Like

Oh, shoot! I just noticed that. And, someone else mentioned that, too! Forgive me as I don’t duel nor have I hostiled someone nor do I play in pub games except if someone needs a little help. Thanks to you and Endugu for the heads-up.

Diablo and Diablo II, to the best of my understanding, are not hosts to content that may need to be listed as an R rating. Maybe, it is due to its multiplayer mode where in-game language may not be filtered.

Perhaps you would do well to actually verify the claims you are making before posting them.

Also, there’s no need to constantly shout in your messages.

1 Like

You are just a cry baby. This game is awesome cuz is not for that kind of person, so if u don’t like it go play d3.
If someone hostile you, u will get a notice, and u can leave game or go town, whisper new game name and password to ur fellas and get the fun without the PK, u can also create games with lvl restrictions, and max player 2-8 So u have tons of tools to not be Pked, if u don’t use those is just your problem. This game is awesome cuz ppl has freedom, to do bad and good things just like real life. So grow up.

1 Like

As others have mentioned, a character must be at least level 9 before they can declare hostility on another player or have hostility declared on them. The difference between level 8 and level 9 isn’t very significant though, so I don’t believe it changes your concern.

That said, as others have mentioned D2 is rated M 17+ Diablo II: Lord of Destruction - ESRB

So it’s not necessarily suited for young players that don’t understand the dangers. If someone hostiles you, and you don’t wish to duel, you can usually TP to town where they can’t hurt you.

The rating is due to the torture scenes, blood, gore, corpses etc as well as the nudity portrayed in Diablo and Diablo II. Keep in mind also that they were rated when they were released 20+ years ago, so what has become more acceptable by 2021 standards was closer to pushing the limit in 1997 when Diablo was released and 2000 when Diablo II was released.

I’m pretty sure it’s the opposite of what you’re saying. What they got away with then they would never get away with today. In fact, I’m surprised D2 hasn’t been canceled yet due to Alkor’s voice and some of the things he says in his gossip. The remaster will likely be PC so not to offend the Twitter mob.

I’m not sure. D2 is pretty mild in it’s “messed up” themes compared to modern horror games like Resident Evil 7 and Outlast. Or even stuff like The Last of Us Part 2. And then you have games like CoD Modern Warfare 2 where you partake in a terrorist attack and shoot civillians in an airport, or Hotline Miami 2 which has a straight and explicit rape scene. Truth be told, controversy sells. The angry twitter teenagers are basically free advertising

I don’t think a good videogame needs to throw controversial themes in your face for pure shock bait though, so I praise Diablo (especially the first game) for being a dark game with dark themes just on the right level.

I think it goes both ways. In terms of violence and displaying nudity I think what was extreme 20 years ago isn’t anymore. In terms of political correctness I think things have gotten more strict.

Yeah. It also has changed what people consider acceptable. For example, Carmageddon (from 1997) was banned in many countries because it was a game where you use a car to run over people, meanwhile now we have games like GTA and nobody cares. I guess it just changed from “christian families in the 90’s saying videogames make kids violent” to “people on twitter protesting because a female character has booba”.

1 Like