Message from the guy who cleared 140 on PTR

Only Don Vu knew it well. He actually did a pretty amazing balance at 2.6.2. The later balance patches ruined that balance for barbs again.

7 Likes

Him and Yang.

Actually, I really dig the Rend fixes in the current PTR, I just don’t want them nerfed!

6 Likes

Can you try tweeting Don Vu? I remember he was very active there with Nev.

1 Like

3 hours of playing a build is not pushing, it isn’t even close. Which of us got on PTR and didn’t play with a build for 3 hours just to get a rough idea of what it could do? I did on multiple builds I am sure just about everyone else on PTR did as well.

I still don’t understand why people are complaining about potentially adjusting number off the PTR. If one of the new sets allowed a different class to clear 150 in 6 minutes do to an unseen synergies, how many would be asking for a change? Changes made do to data on PTR isn’t a nerf, they are just using us to do more thorough testing to help set the final numbers.

Bro

Anyone that has been around D3 long enough to attain 10,000+ paragon knows exactly how the D3 team reacts historically to anything good for Barbs.

You knew exactly what you were doing when you fished for a fester fl1 with the newly tuned Rend #s and you knew exactly what could happen if you put up clears.

Your clear and the speculation you posted about Rend being 144-145 capable provided the anti-Barb irrational trolls with all the ammo they needed to sway opinion on PTR forum with fear mongering.

“But Darkpotato said he can do 146 on live. That’s CRaZY!!’1 NERF!!!”

Because they’re scared of Barb being able to do 140 for god knows what reason (which is irrational since everyone else except Monk can already).

So no, the nerf is not directly your fault, it’s Blizzard’s for not knowing how to analyze feedback in context.

But you’re also not blameless and hurt the class more than helped.

That is why you’re recieving criticism now.

17 Likes

No. Stop.

No one’s talking about the clearly OP Season theme.

We’re talking about the fact that you know how PTRs work. You know that whenever Barbs look like the top dog, we get nerfed. You 100% know the impact PTR clears have on Blizzard’s decision to nerf. You’ve been around long enough, played the game enough, pushed hard enough that you know this.

You’re trying to shrug it off, pretend it was an innocent clear, that you really didn’t think Blizz would take it very seriously, and I’m of the opinion that is total BS. You knew exactly what you were doing–that or you just couldn’t help pushing the limit on the PTR and not caring what happened as a result.

16 Likes

Got banned from forum on darkpatator’s acc. So be it. People like to watch me because I have experience and i can push in some classes close to builds limits, on live. This has never been my intention on PTR, and it was not close to the limit anyway.
Done here replying, feel free to report this acc aswell

4 Likes

ZeDark I don’t think that someone specially marks you - just try to behave a little more politely - don’t forget that you are just a guest here (as all we are) - and everyone will be glad to see you and listen your expert opinion …

Never thought another way

Moreover, sometimes it seems to me that I understand that even MicroRNA somewhere very deep inside is also not as bad as he wants to seem from the outside - time to time in his posts I feel inexplicable sadness and anguish full of hopelessness of realization that he chose the wrong way and stepped on a shaky path of clownish self-deprecating heresy, from which there is no turning back - at such moments I sometimes even want to forgive him for transgressions and in traditions of barbaric nobility give him a powerful friendly hand of gratuitous help to pull him out of the realm of evil and darkness, where he imprudently dragged himself…

2 Likes

Grats on your clear. You played the game and did it well. I can’t fault that.

That part there. Just mentioning bazooka in comparison likely did it in. Like yelling bomb in an airport.

3 Likes

Yeah.

You can’t spread speculation and fear-mongering about a class and then expect people to be cool with you about it.

People have crazy biases in this game where somehow they are OK with a Necro doing 147 and a Wizard doing 148 or whatever but if a Barb build can do 140 it’s too scary.

Comparing Rend to StarPact is insane and you even had people (MicroRNA) making ridiculous topics asking if the dps meta in 150’s is now 3 Rend Dps Barbs + Zmonk.

That kind of rhetoric is pure fear-mongering meant to scare people into thinking Rend was going to dominate the group meta.

“Yeah I think it can do 144+ on live NP” even if it could, just stating that casually is irresponsible in the context of Blizzard devs who work on Barb. Besides, we didn’t actually see any 144 clears. So any action based on that speculation is just theory.

You know damn well they don’t make changes responsibly, and you knew damn well that they’ve been horrible to the Barb class for 5 years (perhaps more).

Barb community ain’t your friend after this, buddy.

I personally never asked Blizzard to nerf any builds from any other classes, not even the OP ones they’re nerfing next patch even when no one asked for nerfs. But after this incident it’s clear people have been harboring a biased sentiment against Barb, perhaps even the devs themselves.

17 Likes

Blizzard’s Analysis relies too much on top clear. I’d like to suggest them focusing on paragon 1000 - 4000/6000 palyers.

1. Very few people can get to p10000, and ppl usually forget the toughness difference between a p2000 player and a p10000 player. One can trade this toughness adv with multipliers, or they can be more aggressive on pushing.

2. In the ptr, very few p10k players will push certain build. This make the Var so big that it should not be taken into account. However, that “fake scientist” didn’t take this into account.

3. Personally, I agree with u that higher paragon (>4000) in PTR should not push hard. This will distort the data. (I bet bliz didn’t put players/paragon density into consideration)

5 Likes

I looked back at one of my old “tables” after less than 48 hours on the PTR. Of the top 25 barbs in non-season, 10 were less than 5,500 paragon (3872-5430). Their worse clear was 130. This is noteworthy in comparison to the live non-season leaderboard in the America region.

1 Like

What’s ur point? You wanna say ur analysis is reliable?

Have u consider players/paragon density? Still NO.

4 Likes

What do you mean by players/paragon density exactly?

I did cross-reference the PTR barb leaderboards vs. the live leaderboards (America/EU/Asia) to look at which players were common to both on October 22. Specifically, I was interested in whether top barbs were pushing the leaderboard. For this I went through the top 40 on the PTR barb leaderboard. 4 were names that were found also to be high on the current live era. One of which was darkpatator. 32 were not high on the era leaderboard. The “unknown” 4 had Chinese character usernames, I could not say conclusively if they matched.

The player density question is interesting. From the distribution/GR ranges on the leaderboard, it appeared to be that more players have played the current era than the PTR. This is more difficult to assess but certainly Blizzard has this data.

This is not hard if you have the api. A simple python program can help u do everything.

Usually, this density should determine the “weight” of the observed “power” at certain paragon.

Personally, I suggest u don’t touch these area, unless u are professional enough. Whatever estimation from someone’s words are dangerous, not reliable, and should not be taken into account.

Some troller even post fake estimation from d.163, put the estimation as a formal and conservative estimation.

3 Likes

The problem is the PTR does not have an API for that data. I have analyzed llive nonseason that way.

For the PTR, I had to manually go in game and record everyone’s username, paragon levels, and GR tier clears. It was quite time-consuming and that is why I stopped at the top 40. My plan was to replicate the greater rift efficiency calculation that Prokahn and I had done independently, but without the PTR API, I gave up.

And not a moment too soon

3 Likes

Since 2.6.1, the balance become worse and worse. Yes, people do want a balanced world, more competitive builds. But balance is a time consuming stuff.

D3 has been moved to classic games. This is a small team. And to maintain the active players, seasonal buff is more effective. Man look foward, 100% to 200% wont change too much, if barb truely op, let em hype for just one season, nerf the op build after that season.

I tend to agree bliz’s strategy: focus more on new stuff, seasonal buff, new set, these will extend the life of this 8 years old “dead” game. They addressed many times in their blue post.

I really hope u can understand why barb is so united this time. That’ not only this community, the community in d.163 is also quite angry about the “blizcon rend nerf”.

1 Like

You can’t look at the data this way. Barb WW was the big new thing in PTR so EVERYONE ran out to run the new setup. They applied all their non-season paragon and blood shards to get instant gear and pushed to see the max.

I GUARANTEE you, if impale DH did the same thing during their PTR, AND pushed HARD when impale changes were considered (no one did because DH base is not trying to kill themselves, AND they have no alternate motives from other classes)

They would have been viewed in the same context and probably nuked. they were not and that build lives on today. if losing a zDps DH to a meta that lives off it were at stake back then, who knows?

But please quit comparing inflated stats from PTR testing when EVERYONE ran out to test a new build buff with TONS of paragon to the same base that ran just because they loved the class.

2 Likes