Memory leak after last update

So today after being able to successfully log in to PTR, I ran a lot of grifts to level up gems (about 1.5 min per run). After a while, I needed to open another application and noticed that it’s quite sluggish. I checked task manager and saw memory consumption at 98% with D3 using over 6GB, the other culprit was Google Chrome with 10GB. I’ve never seen D3 consuming such amount of RAM before. I restarted both applications and it dropped to 40% with D3 using about 1.1GB. Then I noticed that memory consumption of D3 was steadily increasing again. Upon entering a rift, it increases right away by about 50MB and increases more as the map reveals. At the end of a rift, D3 consumes about 150MB more RAM than the previous run

https://imgur.com/a/C8hmnnT

My system specs: AMD Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2070 Super, Windows Server 2019

If it doesn’t used up all the memory and caused a crash, then you don’t need to worry about.

If it crashes, you should get Out of Memory error.

Applications load assets into memory on demand. So, it is normal to see the memory increase overtime. That doesn’t imply memory leak.

The more memory you have, the more assets can be cached in memory, the less need for swapping btw memory and disk.

It almost did use up all my memory (98%). Of course that wasn’t D3 alone but I have a lot of memory. Imagine an average system with only 8GB or 16GB, and D3 taking 6-8GB after a playing session. It didn’t happen before, and doesn’t happen in live patch. And IMO after closing a rift, all the data about last rift should be flushed out of memory.

Mind the word “cached” I used in my post.

By the way, my PC has only 8G system memory and D3 works fine. If it has memory leak, I’m the first one who notices.

Why should it be “cached” if the data won’t be used anymore?
It works fine for you probably because you didn’t play long enough?

If you use waypoint to tp to a new map, notice that it takes a while to load. Now, tp to another location then back to that map, you’ll see that it loads much faster, because the information is already cached. That’s the proper use of caching and I’m fine with that. However, rifts are kind of one time condom. Maps are randomly generated every time a new rift is opened. Why should the information be retained in memory after closing the rift?

As I said, it works fine for me before and in live server (max about 3GB). Today I played for about 3 hours doing grifts with about 1.5-2 min a run. I did have one crash but didn’t look at memory so not sure it was the cause.

Changing character or make new game did reset the memory though.

Why browser caches the web contents (e.g. gif)? Because you might visit the page again later.

May be, but definitely had some 2+ hours sessions.

Not the whole rift. May be just the monster’s 3D models, AI logics, textures, these kinds of assets.

I had seen >4G on my 8G PC on live realm. Not a problem.

Doesn’t apply to rifts, which we enter only once then close.

I have 4+ hours sessions just fine on live. Play time is a bit irrelevant here. If you play 2hrs pushing with 15 min a rift, that’s only 8 rifts. If you play speed with 2 min a rift, that’s 60 rifts.

My point is, it retains the whole last rift information after closing, because memory consumption doesn’t decrease. It keeps increasing to the point that it uses up all memory (and probably crashes). I specifically said the memory usage increases as the map reveals more and more. And doesn’t decrease after closing.

The only unique of a rift is the map itself. The monster, 3D models, AI, textures are reusable and can be cached.

I got your point.
But you said you got 1 crashes only, after many hours of play; and you were not sure memory leak was the cause.
Memory leak should cause crash more often.

Yes, because I have 32GB of memory. It’s gonna take a while to fill it up. Normally my applications use about 50%. So if memory increases by about 150MB a rift, it should take over 100 rifts to fill up the rest of my memory. Before I had Chrome opened with a lot of tabs and probably some were causing problems so it used 10GB of RAM (normally only 3-4). That’s 6GB left and D3 used all of that, so I noticed the problem sooner.

You see that I use Windows Server, because I’m myself a sysadmin and a dev. If my apps behave like that, albeit a slow leak, I definitely will have to look into it.

I just ran many rifts and GR. My memory really never changes. D3 is using about 3gb of memory and doesn’t change. I have 16gb of memory and it is staying at 8.1 to 8.3 caches memory.

Plus I have two fire fox browsers open too. One here and one I was watching a video. With both of them maybe 500mb. If you are using that much memory with google chrome. I would be checking to see what is running in the background. You might be running malware or spyware in the background.

With all my apps. open I using may 1.5 to 2gb. That is Radeon software, Malwarebytes, MSI Afterburner, GOG-games, Steams, & Battle-net. If you are using 50% then you have bigger problem than you think.

With everything running I have 5.1gb in use. You most have a lot crap running in the background you don’t need too.

I do have a lot of crap running in the background and I need them. I’m sysadmin and I play on company server. That’s why I have 32GB of RAM and probably will need to upgrade to 64GB soon.