Maxroll, Tal Rasha with Orpheus?

Hi.

I’m just a filthy casual, and I use guides like maxrolls to help me start off, give me hints. I know they aren’t optimal etc.

However some builds I just don’t understand, like this one.

maxroll.gg/d3/guides/tal-rasha-meteor-wizard-guide

Why would they pick Gesture of Orpheus for the main weapon when Slow Time isn’t part of the build? Things like this make me question 1) my knowledge of the game or 2) maxrolls rush these builds and they suck.

Probably 1 :slight_smile:

From the look of it the goal is to get the +20% to Cold Damage. I’m not aware of any other wand that gives that as a possible boost. I’ve been running with Fragment of Destiny to make it faster to get my stacks of Arcane Knowledge. Basically there’s no great wand to use with S31’s theme so maxroll dug into their min/max library and pulled out Orphesus for the elemental damage boost.

2 Likes

You don’t have to use a wand. Only real benefit of a wand is max AP secondary, but that doesn’t really matter if you are using Comet. I mean, it doesn’t hurt, but max AP is really only valuable for Star Pact.

Swords actually have the same speed and slightly higher base damage than wands (emphasis on slightly, it’s like 0.25% or something), so all other things being equal, swords are marginally better. So if all you want from it is the cold damage, Azurewrath is an equally good candidate.

EDIT: It’s also easier to roll a cold + % damage + AD Azurewrath because Gesture of Orpheus can roll any of 4 elements plus has a guaranteed int roll. Azurewrath always rolls cold, doesn’t have a guaranteed mainstat roll (making it easier to get % damage + AD), and has very slightly higher base damage.

4 Likes

Wands are more beatifull than swords :slight_smile:

Thanks guys! I was worried this forum was a bit quiet, but looks like I didn’t need to be.

If you are after Cold damage on weapon, you can also craft an Utar’s Roar Axe:

However, Azurewrath also has a secondary, and Tal Rasha buffs all damage, in the long run it should give more damage. But it might make monsters CC immune much faster (not so important for speeds though).

Comet already freezes stuff, doubt it will have that much of an impact.

I’m not sure about Tal, but for LoD Comet, Aether Walker is the better option. High mobility > 20% cold.