Manald Heal mechanics

This is the continuation of this thread:

The full guide on Manald Heal states, that Storm Armor cannot proc Manald Heal.

Previously, in the mentioned thread I told that Storm Armor DOES proc the Manald Heal damage, but too randomly and that it might be a bug. Since LoN set was buffed and we now even have a similar gem, I decided to return to my idea to make a viable LoN Manald Heal build.

So, I continued testing why Storm Armor procs Manald Heal so randomly, and here is what I discovered. Whether Storm Armor will proc Manald Heal or not is decided at the moment you cast it.
In my testing, I did so:

1. Casted Storm Armor near mobs; wait ~30 seconds: no procs;
  2. CastedStorm Armor again; wait ~30 seconds: no procs;
  3. Casted Storm Armor again: and it started to proc! This was clearly seen, when regular storm armor hit did 1,5 - 3 million damage, and manald heal proc did 200 - 350 million damage.

With the Reactive Armor rune it procs so often in high density areas, this is incredible. The bad side is that in GR, I will need to waste some time to re-cast Storm Armor until I see that is started MH procs, which might take some noticeable piece from GR time (15-60 seconds).

If the thread you linked is correct that it procs on cast. Maybe it’s a matter of the spell procing on first cast to allow it to activate. Or is it just the reactive armor? Did it work on other runes or the base spell?

I tend to use power of the storm for AT:SD. I hope it works for all version. I do a low res cost build and it would be convenient to cast over and over. Literally would have nothing to do but cast Blach hole and easily cast storm armor over and over if needed. Do it accidentally some times between casting teleport.

Hopefully it’s not a glitch.

Thinking about it, if it works only with reactive armor, you could focus on defense with manald heal and use the new stone gauntlets legendary!! You could even combine it with squirts necklace. Then you can do high defense with high offense potentially and not worry about IAS as much. A heavy defensive Leg gems setup could be used with defense priority equipment and shield bonuses to the extreme and let manald do most of the work with support spells or Boss killing manald procing with AT:SD for instance.

I’ve tried again, and rune doesn’t matter - only hits from the base skill work (hits from Reactive Armor and Shocking Aspect don’t proc MH damage).

Also I found out a very sad and disappointing thing: even if I get the “lucky” cast of Storm Armor, MH procs do not occur all the 10 minutes duration. After couple minutes MH just stops proccing for the rest of duration :frowning: