Make 2-handers viable again instead of instant cube

Have you seen the amount of useless no-power-having leg bows DH has?

You can forget about trying to get a good bow to cube at season start because you’ll most likely get that Uskang/Windforce/Longshot/Etrayu trash, or worse: Cluckeye.

Look at all this useless trash

1 Like

Not forgetting amongst every other 2-handers, bows didn’t get the base damage buff like the rest (simply because DH can wield a quiver, smh)

1 Like

Rude. I did my gr55s for years of war conquest using a primal Cluckeye. Only decent weapon in the game that requires sound to play.

My only regret is that I didn’t drop an augment on it for my season journey. Maybe next season?

1 Like

It also makes me sad that so many 2H mighty weapons are only cube fodder. While the recent buff to Blade of Tribes is much appreciated, it also meant that the one barb build that still used a mighty weapon now doesn’t.

I agree it would be great if the legendary items that are currently auto salvage due to no legendary power, like all the bows mentioned, we’re given at least something to make them worth using.

1 Like

Not sure how to fix this. I believe the biggest reason people dual wield rather than use a 2-hander is that they get 2 legendary powers AND 2 Flawless Royal Emeralds. That’s a huge bonus. Two handers would need 2 jewel slots and a giant increase to either their damage or power multipliers to compete with that.

4 Likes

I’ve suggested the following a while back:

and:

However, even those may not be enough to give 2 handed weapons more viability especially considering that you’ll be losing 1 legendary power slot going 2 handed instead of dual wielding or 1 handed + off hand.

It’s a mess to balance because of DH with the quiver and Cru w/ a wasted passive.

Good start should be giving more leg power to most of the uesless leg currently in the game. When we have a power to look at, we will know how much should be tuned to get a desired outcome.

As far as your post about a damage bonus, I was thinking something along the line of a fixed percentage to do double damage for 2H weapons, as long as you aren’t using an offhand or dual wielding with a passive… Maybe a 20% to 33% chance.

I don’t think it can be fixed. Whatever buff will either make everyone starting to use a 2H weapon or never.

At least a 2H weapon is still useful when you are leveling an Lv1 character.

Agreed. Though I think another huge problem is the Cube. If you put the best powers on 2HD weapons (huge multipliers like Petrified Spike, Blade of Prophecy, Gavel of Judgment, Blade of the Tribes), people will just Cube it.

One huge 2HD exception is Yang’s, because the RCR is not a legendary power. BUT…DHs are also the only class that can use 1 and 2 handed bows with no penalty to offhand. So does not count.

4 Likes

And that’s why Blade of the Tribes was worn until this patch as well. Had a 200% earthquake dibs blue text.

1 Like

I think Quinsane had this criticism when they first put all the huge DIBS rolls as legendary orange powers.

1 Like

Yeah on the one hand it makes the builds more powerful to be cube able (and I think a lot are even separate multipliers now) letting you dual wield to get the attack speed, leg power and chd bonuses while still getting the big multiplier. But thematically it’s disappointing.

2 Likes

Give Barbarians an ‘off-hand’ item like quivers for DHs – easiest being they can equip a second bracer or glove.

Remove Heavenly Strength and bake it right into the Sader kit – Light and Heavy Flails instead of 1-hand and 2-hand flails.

Wizard’s should be able to equip a source with staves, but the source’s stats aren’t active, just the legendary power. Same with WD and Mojos, Necro and Phylacteries.

Me, a crusader main: what is this guy talking about

I like the idea of a deactivated offhand that only provides legendary powers.

I like your Cruaader idea for another reason: Fanaticism provides a massive natural advantage to 1H flails that offsets the greater damage and strength rolls of a 2HD weapon. I would keep Heavenly Strength as a prize 2hd wielders must pay but remove the damage debuff. Losing a passive and no access to Fanaticism is punishment enough.

Heavenly Strength is two passives. You lose Fervor, but you also give up a passive for Heavenly Strength itself. And there are lots of benefits attached to faster attack speeds and cooldowns, so it’s not just about weapon damage either.

1 Like

The issue isn’t the lack of power with 2 handers - This is especially notable when lvling, when using a 2 hander offers far more power then using a 1 hander+off-hand.

The issue is the continual power creep we have going on. When virtually every build has a solid 2 hander, a solid 1 hander, as well as a solid off-hand, well, the 2 hander goes in the cube pure and simple.

It’s only when a build does NOT have a solid off-hand that you can use a 2-hander and be better off for it - Simulicrum Bone Spear comes to mind. You have a mandatory 1 handed weapon (400% increased damage to Secondaries when you have Bone Armor up), and a mandatory 2 handed weapon (700% increased damage to Bone Spear), but no mandatory off-hand. Thus, using the 2 handed weapon results in a larger damage increase compared to using the 1 hand+Lidless Wall, so you only build the 1 hand if you need the extra defense offered by the shield.

1 slot lost, but yes, Fervor might be the best passive on D3. Crusaders crave CDR, and one giant 15% roll is incredible.

Give all 2 handers a fixed, additional stat of:

CHD 100%-125%.

That would move the needle a bit towards a good 2H being used. Having it count twice for LoD/LoN would be nice as well, unless its being wielded as a 1H.

1 Like