[Main Thread] Windows 19041 - Freezing for 5-10 seconds

Still happening all the time in Season 24

Having freezes that exceed 10 seconds now actually, lost a hc character to it, not sure if i can be bothered lvling another

omg when is this thing going to get fixed??? Lol… Waiting for an official fix from the D3 team.

Oh boy a new season! I can’t wait to ignore it because this issue persists!

2 Likes

I had posted (much) earlier in support of the StarCraft 2 fmodex64 dll band-aid-ing this.

I just noticed (after getting booted) that an update today has put an fmodex64.dll file with today’s datetime stamp into the x64 folder. Fingers crossed that this might be a fix???

Will be testing once I can get back in and report.

Same problem here! FIX IT!

:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:ASAP :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

1 Like

Yup still happening in season 24.

1 Like

I died again on Win11 and game froze. I think it server side issue. When server get freak out, your client will freeze. Lost another HC character and thats it for this season.

its Windows causing the issue, incompatible with the version of fmod used when game created. Can only be fixed when blizzard update the fmod version, which they clearly are not interested in doing, this bug is well over a year old.

4 Likes

My god so glad it isn’t just me. I thought it was my oldish pc parts (6th gen) So i went out and bought a new 10th cpu and mobo and still have this issue stupid issue. Then i thought it was my 1080 graphics card was gonna go buy a 3080 but so glad i didn’t and found this post lol. Blizzard please fix this issue I only started getting it since season 23 and only happens afrer gr90s…

1 Like

Fixed everything on my side!

• Router updatet.
  • Dealt succesfully with my provider. So no major problems here anymore
  • Complete new and updated hardware setup.

Everything works fine: PoE. Civ6 online. Stellaris online.
Except D3. My latency goes constantly through the roof!

If you still insist on this always online crap, you’ll have to fix your code!

The fmode error causes freezes and not latency issues.

Same I could play League of Legends, Overwatch, Minecraft, Killing Floor 2. Basically any other game with no lag or freezes or fps drops. I only get random freezes and crash to desktop from Daiblo 3. There’s no way its an issue with my ISP, and looking at all these complaints it has to be an issue on their side.

Where is official fix? Can we at least get another blue post about the D3 team “working on a fix”? Hellooooooooooo??? This season maybe?

There is no doubt that this is a diablo 3 only issue. This topic exists since 1.5 years now. For many people the fixes didn’t help and blizzard still didn’t fix it. It’s a shame. This is the reason why I don’t play HC anymore and even think about stopping completely. In my 30 years of playing games and beeing a fan of blizzard specificly I never had such silly issues.
This has to stop.

`https://streamable.com/idrk4s`
1 Like

Well this is not true. The real reason behind the problems is your Operating System (or parts of it). If you would google Fmod issues for development you would quickly realize that microsoft messed it up. In every developer space there is problems with it. Soundengineering, gamedevelopment etc.

First problems with diablo3 however showed up when microsoft introduced windows 1809 with an updated sound system. (oct 2018)

Back then setting the soundchannels to “lowest” ingame fixed the majority of issues.

Diablo3 is using fmod as Sound engine, which relies on c++ libraries currently using the 2015 distributable. Since win10 2004 released 6/2020 microsoft decided to change how distributables work, they merged the 2015/2017/2019 C++ Redistributables together so that you would only ever need one of them and not on a specific location. At this point everything started to escalate pretty hard.

The lag/freeze that occurs is just the delay/inability of the Fmod.dll finding its library counterpart on your disk.

All games using Fmod as sound engine are more or less affected, a list of games that are using fmod can be found on the fmod wikipedia entry (its alot cant post links)

League of Legends for example switched its sound engine because of this.

Using a windows 10 version prior to 1809 fixes close to every major problem with the game. Such as Fmod delay and not properly working ingame FPS cap.

There is nothing Blizzard can do, but maybe switch to a different sound engine. Its not the games fault, its microsofts.

But you yourself can do alot of things. Running win10 1709 or find a c++ package that places the files at a place easy to find for your fmod.dll. I got one, but since its based on an executable that also does a little more i really shouldnt share it on official d3 forums. But i give a hint its available at majorgeeks

4 Likes

I even wrote that I did all the fixes(including FMOD) and it doesn’t help at all. I know that issue for 1.5 years and did all the fixes. It also has nothing to do with my system. Lets say theoretically you’re right and the reason for the issue is a win update then it’s up to the game developer to remove that issue, not for the user to use old win core updates so it can work.

Also: I tested it on MANY systems (I’m a self employeed IT guy myself and have a ton of hardware lying around and a ton of systems) and the issue exists on all systems.

You yourself said that LOL switched the sound engine because of it so why isn’t blizzard doing it?

I never use sound in D3 anyway so it always was disabled and then I even did the FMOD fix - again - without improvement.

My main computer alone is worth 4k+ and I can play ANY game absolutely 100% lag free with 144 fps capped (to hz) and CSGO with 500+ fps. There isn’t even one single other game out of 250 I played since these 1.5 years which had any lag, stuttering or anything else at all.

So nice that it worked for you - and some others - but for a ton of people it doesn’t work and it’s not a user or microsoft issue (even when it first was because of a microsoft update, game developer have to adapt to that and not vise versa).

Well Diablo3 is quite old, the effort to reverse engineer Diablo3 to fix Microsofts or Fireflights (company that did fmod) mistakes which are also present everywhere not just in d3 is quite costly, there’s not such a thing like “lifetime support” for games. Most games end up not being functional on far newer OS builds, thats quite common and the usual route. Often you cant even install them anymore without emulators or ports/refreshes.

With League of Legends riot is shuffling alot of Money its a completely different thing.
Diablo3 doesnt have that financial backup with microtransactions that LoL has.

And in this case your Hardware doesnt matter, its not a compatibility issue or hardware issue at all. Its just the Windows build you use which makes your game not working good with the engine thats being used.

Paying alot of money for hardware doesnt fix every issue, and no you cant play any game without issues without fiddling yourself, you may play any modern game without issues but thats about it. There are games out there that cant even run on win10 at all.

Solutions are in this thread, if you dont want to make use of them, you are free to do what you want. You can also have the opinion that it sucks and that the world should be a better place nothing wrong with that. Only thing i did was explaining why its happening, and why it probably wont ever get fixed and why there wont be any reliable workaround for this other than installing a way older windows build or heavily mod how your directories of c++ redistributionals are being used.

The only reason the “fmod workaround” works for some is because it usually hinders the game to use its sound engine. There is no “update your fmod.dll blizzard” that wont work at all, newer versions are also affected by this or even much worse.

3 Likes

@ Jambrix
@ Zuvykree
@Kaldraydis
Surely you can contact someone to help us out? Can’t just ignore us forever lol. Or at least let us know its gonna be impossible to fix.

1 Like

well the problem will probably clear itself up with w11 and uninstalling c++ redistributable 2015/2017/2019 and instead using the c++ 2022 redistributable.

this might also be a possible fix for the latest win10 build, but my testing introduced other bugs… when doing so.

So, what surprises me is that it’s been exactly a year and it is still broken :smiley:
Thanks to those who suggested replacing

msvcp140.dll (got it from visual studio 2019)
vcruntime140.dll (got it from visual studio 2019)
fmodex64.dll (got it from starcraft)

The last one is what actually did the trick for me, however, playing the game without any sound is such a bummer T_T How come it still hasn’t been addressed?

Hey folks - wanted to share that we’re planning a PTR Pop-up tomorrow to dig deep into this issue.

We created a thread here to gather all we can and aim to address/fix this issue as soon as possible:

11 Likes