[mac user] US West not working

Hi,

While I tried to connect to US West, it always stuck on version checking. After I cancel it, the program is literally frozen and need to restart. I only succeed to connect once after crash/reboot/retry for one hour.

Any solution for this?

Thanks!

I am very sorry, but D2 no longer supports Mac Operating Systems. You MIGHT be able to get it to work, but you can’t count on it.

Further, West has had issues the past month with not connecting. Usually it works after 5 or 10 tries.

Version check though - can also be a suspension or ban.

If the OP has a Windows installation on his Mac, he’ll be able to get back into the game that way. Otherwise, yeah, macOS support is a goner here. Apple screwed the pooch when it nixed 32-bit usersland support from the kernel. Thankfully Windows hasn’t done that yet (and likely can’t due to the huge swath of 32-bit business software still in use today even under Windows 10). D3 support would be gone as well had it not been migrated to 64-bit only on macOS like WoW was years ago.

Still, the writing is on the wall. Outside of currently supported games, macOS support is a thing of the past at Blizzard, and I can’t really blame them. It’s only a matter of time until D3 is removed from support too since it doesn’t appear that it will get an update to use Metal, and with OpenGL having been last updated 11 years ago on macOS, it can’t keep running forever. In fact, it barely runs at all on modern macOS versions, and often with major graphical glitches.

It’s a shame to see it go down like this, but Apple burned Blizzard years ago with Overwatch, and as a result, Blizzard decided to nix the Mac team and now only a single employee handles Mac client updates, and only then when there aren’t more important Windows client fixes/patches in the pipeline.

These, however, show just how outdated and shoddy Blizzard’s Battle.net 1.0 netcode truly is:

None of that should cause restrictions since they are features built into the game. That’s just crappy coding.

You should have been on the original Battlenet team 26 or so years ago before it launched so you could have schooled them about their crappy coding. Thanks to you not being there we are now in this predicament. :grinning:

I will say though, thankfully dial up is a thing of the past and we don’t worry about those particular issues anymore. :wink:

And I don’t think maru (Maru???!!!:+1: :muscle:) would have been able to install the game, let alone actually joining once and then getting stuck on checking version without using Windows on Mac. I have a Mac and the app simply will not install, and when I updated it to the 64-bit the app on the Mac at the time was disabled.

Assuming those three things still lead to account restrictions, then that’s either spectacularly bad (or just unbelievably old and never updated) netcode, or the servers were never upgraded and are relative potatoes now. Or both. Scrolling via the mousewheel to change skills shouldn’t even so much as DC you. Not that I ever used the mouse wheel to change skills. I used my series of F Keys for that. Part of why I ended up with RSI so bad I actually had to create a controller config to play D2 for nearly a year while I healed.

They don’t…