Mac Forum dead?

is this forum also dead now?

It’s on life support. Just like the actual game client. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

S25 PTR looks good except for some balancing, I’m sure it will run without making my M1 max heat up at all. No fans either. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DH, Barb, and WD looks good.

1 Like

The reason you get no fans is because Apple literally lets the machines cook themselves into thermal throttling before they turn on the fans. That isn’t a good thing to crow about.

1 Like

Nope D3 is no longer something that stresses the 2021 MBP laptops. You need something more challenging now.

You might find this useful

1 Like

That does not change the fact that the built in SMC profiles will not ramp fans up until the machine hits thermal throttling. Just because D3 doesn’t cause the system to reach that point does not negate that particular fact. One that MysticalOS/Omegal already managed to document and verify with WoW. As a native M1 app.

But hey, if you want to let your new Mac cook itself into a shorter lifespan, more power to you I guess.

1 Like

That is by design. Per cmaier who was a CPU designer for AMD for years.

CPUs are designed to run at 100 C continuously for the entirety of their operating lifespan. When we model them for performance and correct operation, we assume the temperature is 100C, in fact.

Germanium-doped silicon can operate just fine even up to 200 C with no problem (but with reduce performance over the modelled temperature, which is usually 100C.). The package solder is designed to operate at well over 100C as well.

As the temperature increases passed 100C, which is the temperature we perform static timing analysis at, the transistors run slower than we modeled. As a result, the CPU frequency must be reduced, otherwise the CPU will not produce the right answers. That does not mean the CPU is damaged - it just means that the maximum clock frequency of a CPU goes down as temperature increases. People who think 100C is high would be very panicked by what goes on during burn-in testing

From what I read the fans kick on when the CPU needs to be maintained at 100C, if the fans can’t regulate it the CPU frequency will be reduced. I see studies where a 14 was pushed to do 100% CPU and 100% GPU and because of the smaller fans you did see some reduction of clock speed. The 16" has larger fans that allow it to regulate temps better, but comparably in the same test as the 14" the clock speed didn’t drop at all (throttling ).

Comparing the older Mac Pro vs M1 Max laptop below. Have a nice Friday while we wait for new S25.

I played D3 on a 2014 15" MBP (2.5GHz i7, Nvidia GT 750M) for years. That machine would always be burning hot while playing D3. My 14" M1 Max is barely warm while playing D3. They are very much a big improvement over the Intel models they replaced in this regard.

I do hope Blizzard re-evaluates Mac support, though that seems unlikely at this point. I would very much rather play using my laptop than my desktop PC, if nothing else just for the sheer convenience of it.

2 Likes

It’s a guarantee that those burn-in cycles do not use a typical HS/F on the CPU. They’re using far more advanced cooling and have strict voltage control. Typical voltage control on production CPUs and motherboards varies wildly and is usually on the lackluster side, which is why temperatures get where they do in many cases. Running 100C constantly also stresses the VRMs to a very high degree. There hasn’t been a consumer CPU that could run at 100C stable for any length of time, and certainly not with any turbo tau active, and especially not with AVX or 3DN active.

Most ARM CPUs aren’t designed to run that hot. They’re very efficient, and can maintain cooler tempteratures longer, but those fans should be coming on well before the machine enters cooking territory.

MysticalOS (Omegal on the WoW fora) tested this with his new M1 Max laptop and found that while the system could maintain 120 FPS in all Shadowlands zones (with render scale at 50% with FSR active), once the machine hit the point the fans needed to come on, he dropped to 90 FPS instantly. It was throttling. Yes, the new M1 Max can and does hit thermal throttling poins, and fairly easily thanks to Apple’s dogcrap fan profiles. Once he found a way to set up a more aggressive fan profile, he never went into thermal throttling.

It’s ironic that once an M1 Max hits thermal throttling it generally stays that way even with the fans on using Apple’s built in fan curve, but if the fans are set to ramp up before the CPU gets to the point that it can boil water, it never reaches thermal throttling at all.

Quiet for the sake of quiet works with web surfing or email, but when gaming, the fan profile should kick into a more aggressive state. Apple could do this easily via a firmware update. But they won’t. Because they like making machines that die sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I guess one also has to weigh that against how long do you keep computers around. I gave one up recently that was a 2012 MBP that didn’t die from any heat. yes I could play D3 on it easily.

1 Like