[Lounge Thread] Slaughtered Calf Inn

Sports and athletes have changed over the decades.
Bill Russell would probably play Power Forward now. :rofl:
And Randy Johnson didn’t need a higher mound to throw 100+ mph.
On a related topic: I wonder how some careers might have gone had it not been for injuries.
Bill Walton, Bo Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax to name a few.

1 Like

And some of them had their careers curbed by WWII. Imagine what Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra and the like if they hadn’t missed 4 years due to service in the military in the middle of their careers.

I don’t think Mantle or Berra were old enough, but you are right about DiMaggio and you forgot Ted Williams and Hank Greenberg.

Yeah, I meant Williams when I said Mantle and Berra served in the WWII but maybe before his career in baseball but I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that he was on one of the beaches on D-day.

Edit: Looked it up just because you made me curious but he served as gunner on a rocket boat during the invasion of Normandy. Yogi Berra that is.

Happy Friday everyone! Time for some :beers:!
Cheers! :wink:

5 Likes

LOL.

Maybe I should start and end my posts with a *Hiccup, WW-when I wad a kid…

There’s lots of drinkin’ goin’ on. lol

1 Like

Cheers to all! Looks like Paladina is offering a round!

:wine_glass: :wine_glass:

SUPER windy here with a major front. Gusts over 60pmh. Other wise good. Got radishes and lettuce planted outside. Tomatoes, peppers, and hot peppers planted inside in starter trays.

I also treated myself to a …pizza!

Happy Friday everyone!

3 Likes

Well it IS a hole in the wall bar in a land full of demons!

2 Likes

“This is bad for business…”

LOL!

We have good food here though and even good conversation! Although I bet the natives play sports with demon heads… Or compare stats on bowling with ice orbs. Hah.

So on the sports topic. That is where my name comes from. I was a Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor Track runner all HS. I was not great at distance, but was ok at some of the shorter stuff. I was also injury prone.

Due to my mediocre performance my father called me “Flash” and “Grace”. The opposite of reality. Other friends called me “Cheetah Woman”.

Cheetah ended up being what I used for tabletop RPGs of various sorts. It worked really well for Shadowrun where I was a Decker/Rigger!

Later I went on to martial arts (I was pretty good), and gym stuff. I kept the Cheetah thing though. When D2 came out I needed a name. Cheetah was taken so I went with MissCheetah (I was a teacher at the time). And here I still am 21 years later.

5 Likes

After nickshifting multiple times, I settled on my current back in the late 90’s playing Descent on KaliDOS/Kali95. :stuck_out_tongue:

I lost so much sleep playing the hell out of that game multiplayer. Good ole Sidewinder 3D Pro! Pew, pew pew pew!! Blam!

1 Like

I LOVED that game !

My first real 3D game, (in that you could turn and move in all directions).

Only single player for me. That was back in Windows 3.1 and DOS. I didn’t have an internet connection at the time.

Thanks for the memories!  

3 Likes

Some other 3D games I enjoyed back in the day:
Tie Fighter
F117-A Stealth Fighter
Ultima Underworld
Doom/Duke3D… Most everyone old enough knows those. :stuck_out_tongue:

I worked that 386 hard. :stuck_out_tongue: I had to upgrade to a 486 to play Descent… 4 fps was not fun on the 386.

That’s so cool!

I played football my freshman year, it was a small school, so many of us had to play both sides of the ball, both defense and offense. Or special teams and one of those two. I wasn’t great but I wasn’t bad either but some of the other guys started messing with others and I was one of the others, so I stopped going to practice to avoid them and was eventually kicked off the team.

Switched to another school the following year and one of the teachers asked, “Do you wrestle?”

I said, “Only the messing around kind.”

He said, “Come see me after class.”

He told me then about the school starting a wrestling team and asked me to join, so I did.

Lots of other folks did too and it turned out there were a bunch in my weight class but hardly anyone in the next lowest. So for weeks and weeks I worked my butt off to get down to that weight class and the night before my first match at practice, I injured my toe, “out for the season.”

That’s the extent of my sports experience.

Edit:

The guys were cooler on the wrestling team too. I didn’t much like the running part of the training so when we’d be running halls and stairs and I fell behind some of the guys would call out, “Keep up, man! You can do it!” “Yeah, man, I know you’re faster than that!” “That’s great, man, you’re doing it. Just get your pace, find your stride.”

None of it mean. Just guys on a team rooting each other on. So eventually, the running was what I would do most, even doing it while others were pairing off for practice when I was getting closer to my target weight, with the coaches permission of course. Still didn’t like it but knew it was something I had to do and the encouragement I received from peers was worth tons more than that I got from the coach, but he was really encouraging too.

Wrestling was my most fun and coolest time in High School despite how it turned out in the end.

1 Like

The only things I played were Guitar, Bass, and Piano.
I even sucked at Cosmic Bowling.

1 Like

Oh this is awesome!

One of my brother-in-laws is going to the cabin today and asked if my wife and I wanted to join him. The wife and I intended to grill hamburgers in the backyard today, but since my brother-in-law and we are all vaccinated, we agreed to go up there and do it instead.

Gonna see if he wants to take the boat on the lake and do a little fishing while we’re up there. It’s a little chilly right now but should get warmer as the day goes on. It might be a little colder up there but nothing a jacket won’t fix.

Cool Beans!

2 Likes

That’s a band right there dude!

My brother is like you and is talented with music, and also plays many instruments. I’m envious!

I started playing violin as a very young kid. The music room at school had a drum kit in it and as I was always in there alone waiting for the instructor and I couldn’t help myself, so for the longest time I actually only went to violin lessons for the 10 minutes of drum smashing I could do before hand.

My instructor eventually picked up on the fact I hated violin and wanted to play the drums, but instead of helping me with that he told my parents I wasn’t ready for violin and should quit and mentioned nothing of my love for drumming.

My parents were constantly yelling at me to “Stop tapping!” though so pretty sure they knew already, so yeah I play the drums but I have since transitioned to electronic music.

Am I any good?

Nope, not really, but I still enjoy it, much like video games! :rofl:

1 Like

Wife just informed me that fishing season doesn’t start till next weekend. So that’s out.

But she got a call from her parents that they’re going up there too. I knew my brother-in-law was getting close to retirement but apparently yesterday was his last day.

So he’s bringing Filet Mignon for the grill. No burgers for me thank you very much. lol

I haven’t seen my Father-in-Law or Mother-in-Law in close to a year and they’re both vaccinated now too. I’ve got my “Covid Beard” going on and I think it’s finally time to shave it off. It’s getting warmer anyway and it’ll soon be too hot to have anyway. lol

Wow, the subjects in this post jumped all over place. Plenty of signs that I’m pretty excited. lol

2 Likes

So the cabin was fun. My brother-in-law changed his mind about the Filet Mignon on the way between his house and getting to the cabin. He fully intended to get the Filet but when he stopped to pick them up at the butcher shop he saw Beef Tenderloin on sale and got that instead. We smoked that when he got there.

My mother-in-law made pasta salad with tri-color rotini, tomato, red pepper, broccoli, and cauliflower with an Italian dressing and some corn on the cob, and I fried up the one dish my Mom showed me how to make, Fried taters and onions.

Everyone was well complimented. I thought I could have maybe did a little better job on the taters but everyone liked them, so I must not have done too bad.

Good stuff, regardless.

Had a blast with folks going from smoker to stove to table shopping vegetables, getting butter for this or that and everyone talking about the year we’ve had without seeing each other.

Came home late last night. But it’s much much colder today. From 75 degrees at home and 85 at the cabin to sub 50 degrees today. Wind must have shifted to blow in from the lake during the night.

1 Like

Speaking of the taters, my wife bought two bags of pre-sliced potatoes because she figured we wouldn’t have time to slice them ourselves. And then before I could stop her (she’s so used to cooking for 40 or more people because of her job) she put both bags in the pan. At first, I tried to fry it as it was but we didn’t bring enough butter for that.

So we took half the potatoes and onions out, and was able to work it then. Added just a little bit more butter because as pre-sliced they didn’t have the natural moisture that would mix with the grease allowing for a deeper fry. I got some of them to brown up pretty nice but others weren’t as cooked as I would have liked. The rest of the food was ready so I figured, “Close enough.”

As I said, folks liked them but I thought if I would have had just a little bit more time, they would have been better.

But this morning we took the potatoes we didn’t cook all the way yesterday, and I fried them up the way I would have liked to yesterday, for breakfast.

Felt better about that.