Lost a lot of progress- WHY

I logged in to Diablo 3 (PS4) after not having played in a couple of months. I logged in to find many of my characters missing/deleted, I had at least 5 LV 70 toons that are just gone, along with all the gear and gems they had on them as well. I still have some of my old toons, but all my LV 70 hoss ones are gone. Not only that, a lot of my wife’s progress is also missing. She and I both had a decent amount of Legendary abilities available for use from Kanai’s Cube, and they’re all gone. I had more than a single power in each area, and the game is acting as though I only ripped one for each category. ALL of my wife’s Paragon levels are gone. Just gone. We both put hours upon hours of playtime into this, and now its all just… Gone. We haven’t deleted anything, haven’t changed consoles, reformatted anything, we just havent played in months. Not having played, i could understand if Blizzard deleted old characters that were no longer played past a certain date or something, but my KC powers? My wife’s Paragon levels? Those shouldn’t have been messed with at all, yet… Here we are.

Did you save your game to Sony’s cloud?

If so, you should be able to download them.

If you had them saved to your console, there’s probably nothing can be done unless you had also exported them to USB (so you can them import them back.)

But, either way, you’d want to contact PS support… Blizzard can’t and won’t restore.

1 Like

Well, I have been a PS Plus member for some time now, I could check through the cloud storage and see. But I guess if i can’t, im just going to have to redo all that progress. Do you know of any possible reasons for this happening? Because loss of characters and their gear is one thing, but my wife losing Paragon levels doesn’t make any sense, as that’s tied to the account, and shouldn’t be lost. At least, as far as I’m aware. :confused:

My immediate thought is a server/connection hiccup where the data is there but has yet to sync properly and may resolve on its own. This could be due to an account log out, failure to connect (on either end) or performance.

But there can always be other reasons.

Suppose I’ll start with the Cloud save check, and if I dont get anything, I’ll contact PS support and see if there’s anything they can do. If not, guess I just gotta play more Diablo (oh no, how terrible /s) to get back to where I was. Thank you for your help.

its possible that you might have loaded the wrong profile first. You mentioned your wife lost paragon too. Or did you guys get a new or different playstation? Sometimes if you dont fully transfer the data from the old to the new that causes weirdness but if you have playstation plus and upload all your saves there thats a huge plus. No pun inteaded! hahh

I lost all my harry potter lego progress when I replaced my playstation with another one (my old ps died and I had ps+ but didnt know i could force upload saves to it). Live and learn. I didnt get upset, its only a game and if I want to get that 100% i can just do it again

OH noo someone lost their hacked NS characters lol

Its entirely possible we lost our data somehow when we moved, our stuff might have gotten unplugged improperly or something, cause we don’t have anything new, we just haven’t played in ages was all. But, since I’m not seeing any way for me to get my data back, I’m in the same mindset as you, if I want that data back, I can just play the game again, no big deal in the end. More than anything I just didnt want my wife to have to regain all her Paragon levels again, cause that was a major slog.

Seasonal play is quick as you are guaranteed a Set for whatever class opens the Gifts (received for completing Chapters 2, 3 and 4) which then pretty much lets you jump to T8 at minimum, maybe higher if you have some good synergy items. Also, this season (25) has an easy way to get gems (farm the first 3 levels of the Labyrinth in the Darkening of Tristram event to get Shards - salvage them for minimum Imperial, possibly Flawless Royal.)

It’s a bit of a bugger to get to 70, but once you hit that, getting paragon to about 800 anyway should fly by. I usually only get to 1200 in a season, if I’m lucky, but I also only play like 2 hours a week…

Nope, data (character saves) is all locally stored. There’s no server at all, unless you are backing up to the cloud.

Sony won’t do anything, it’s locally saved data. It’s your responsibility.

Nope. That is NOT going to cause issues with data on a computer system. None of that will.

OP, please instigate a data protection routine. I would recommend:

1. daily, back up to the PSN cloud.
  2. weekly, back up to a USB drive plugged into your Sony PS4. For data integrity, remove the USB stick after backing up data (this stops anyone who hacks into your Playstation unit from accessing the data on the USB stick and deleting it, etc).

It is an easy routine and will stop things like this happening.

I have never seen this happen on a Playstation unit before to be honest. I’ve seen a few XBOX users report this type of issue though over the years.

It has to update the server for some details, mostly leaderboard and such - also, if you did not have a PS account and add one (for example, log into a new profile), some funny things can happen. But that is local as profiles are individual to the device.

When you update the game you get a message that rolling it back renders previous saves potentially unplayable, so there is some sort of check, but that can definitely be local.

The OP did say they were using PS Plus, so, a cloud save was more likely.

yes, but that is just your LB result. Nothing more. Your character save data is local.

You can set up PS to auto upload to your cloud PSN server. I much prefer to do it manually, then I am in full 100% control of what my PS4 does.

As to update/character save, the character save file more than likely has some metadata indicating what version of the game it is bound to. The updater can read this metatag and produces that warning. This is necessary as some changes (say, updates to set pieces) will alter the game quite bit a fair bit.

Probably, if he is computer illiterate and didn’t turn the auto save to cloud function off. Again, this is why I turn it off and manually back my data up. I have local data, PSN cloud data and data saved to USB stick. 3 points of contingency. Admittedly, I have worked in IT for many years, and backing up data comes naturally to me, whilst most ordinary people don’t even give it a 2nd thought.