Looking for season 20 multishot build

I am looking for an updated season 20 multishot build for this season and was hoping for a little help from the forums

There were no changes for S20. So take any UE /Crimson build from S19 for GR100+ .

There are a few updated builds:

• UE6 MS w/ CC3. F&R, Squirts and CoE (cubed)
  • M6 MS w/ CC3, Endless Walk and CoE and Dawn (cubed)
  • N6M4 MS w/ CoE, Squirts and Yangs/DML (cubed)

All use cubed RoRG. You can also run M6 the same way as UE6. These builds are fragile, so be prepared to get killed while taking fewer hits.

3 Likes

Additionally, if you want to run with the exact same build as in the nonseason meta, I’d recommend switching Visage of Gunes (cubed) to Elusive Ring (cubed) for a free 25% toughness boost.

2 Likes

Huh. That’s one I hadn’t thought about. That’s a good idea!

I always forget to vault to keep the DR up though. I’ll be halfway through a big DPS cycle and then get whacked and realize the DR dropped off. Gunes has the benefit of 100% uptime, especially with CC now.

That’d come with practice with an Elusive Ring setup I guess though.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s worth it (elusive vs Visage). We get so much RCR with UE Multishot & CC3, plus you wouldn’t want your defense to be based on moving especially on CoE cycles (you’re weaving your hatred generator in every 5s to keep focus & restrain buff up anyway so wraps of clarity fits perfectly in).

I’m at close to 97% DR (with wraps, vengeance, UE 4pc, and evasive fire hardened rune) can probably hit 98% if I get a better bow (only 45% RCR not 50%), and a ring or amulet with RCR.

Playing hardcore, so toughness & DR are very important. Am close to 70% RCR as well which allows me to spam MS with speed pylon w/o any worries (normally am at 21 APS breakpoint).

Also a nice outlier: if you go for Broadside rune on MS, then you want AD on your gear, a lot of it. If you go Arsenal, then you don’t really want AD, you go for more RCR / AS.

Wudjio cleared 128 with Broadside and AD - EU ladder this season, at 3k paragon, and he mentioned that Broadside is probably ~1GR above Arsenal, but you need density to make it work (includes herding mobs) and can’t deal with elites / champions (w/o power or conduit), meanwhile Arsenal loves the elites & champs thanks to rockets (also Arsenal higher DPS on RG too obviously).

Pfew lot of text, hope you get something useful out of it! <3

I feel like Arsenal would be a bit safer in HC.

In order to really leverage Broadside + AD you have to be really aggressive. I don’t I’d be comfortable playing that way in HC. Arsenal is a lot better at polishing off that lone low health yellow so that you don’t get whacked by a stray Orbiter/Mortar/whatever when you are trying to escape backwards after a proc.

It’d take bigger balls than I have to play Broadside + AD in HC!

1 Like

Well if you run with Visage or Elusive, you won’t use CoE since your other cube slots are reserved for Dawn and RoRG and your rings are Focus/Restraint.

As for keeping the Elusive buff up, my technique is to just Vault → Evasive Fire when I see the Focus buff about to expire this ensures you don’t have to worry about remembering to Vault.

Of course, you can just individually manage all your timers (Companion, Vengeance, Elusive Ring, Wraps/Focus, etc.) but this makes it easier for something to slip past your attention.

I actually think elusive ring would make for better habits in terms of quicker clear times overall.

Elusive ring’s buff last for 8 seconds. If you are standing still for more than that amount of time, you’re going to take a lot of damage and/or not be in the most optimal positioning for pew pewing. This is why EW was never a popular setup with UE over the years, because you really can’t afford to stay around a specific area that long to make use of the buff.

2 Likes

Fixed it for certain stutter-stepping-fancy-footwork-wombo-combo DH.

3 Likes

I meant CoE for you softcore guys, in HC you really can’t drop Visage OR Elusive, DR is super important because we are not only fighting the mobs but also occasional lag spikes / rubberbanding, so you will be happy to have either (I prefer Visage because am lazy mode on DH, got enough key spam and attention to buffs / cooldown playing my SB WD).

I just don’t push beyond my limit (I always gauge my TTK on trash & normal elites with incoming dmg) it’s fine if Gizzard drops vs tough affixes if I can finish the pack without actually dropping Squirts stacks, if not, dial it down 1-2 GR’s and wait for more para / augs etc.

I lost 2 WD’s this season to Raiziel OHK from 100% through 96% DR and 1mil HP in GR 100 despite me pushing GR110 with 6m left at para 700 (except Raiziel and Versalius or w/e his name is, I don’t fear any other RG on WD), so now my 3rd WD has 4B toughness now with 96% DR standing and 98% DR moving (1.4m hp too).

For some reason I find it easier to vault than to SW, but also as UE I stay max range and use boar taunt so it’s pretty safe 90% of time, but SW also needs to be used for 4pc DR bonus and you also need to keep SH stacks up, it’s so much more complicated (but more powerful too!).

Cheers! <3

PS: @DiEoxidE & Iria

I notice most UE use ambush - I get the reason behind it - you want to get mobs / RG under 60% ASAP to enable Dead Man’s bonus, but once you’re under 70% hp on targets ambush stops doing anything. Am I losing a lot by using cull the weak 20% instead?

My thought process is that Cull the Weak also works when targets are under 60% hp thus buffing your DML double Multishot each of them, so you don’t have the initial burst of Ambush, but you end up dealing more dmg when targets are under 60% correct?

Cheers! <3

Ambush equates to about roughly 12.7% damage over the course of the rift. You can gain a few more %'s if you only shoot during all over your buffs, in attempt to “overshoot” the 75% threshold. If you’re running physical, it’s possible to slot Ambush/Steady Aim/Cull the Weak, so there’s not much of a reason not to slot it.

With fire though it’s more tricky. Usually people swap back and forth between Steady aim and Ambush. For some it may seem quite difficult to keep up steady aims requirement, especially when opting to stand in oculus rings as much as possible, thus not getting the 20% buff as often as they would like. If you are one that can keep the distance required for Steady Aim, then Steady Aim is consistently stronger than Ambush. If not, then Ambush is a little more appealing. I’d also assume it’s popularity to the fact that some just may not know the actual overall effectiveness of Ambush. Cull the Weak is one of those passives you should always have slotted regardless of build for GR’s.

I wrote an entire thread on Ambush with Fire UE6 a few years back on the old forums and why it’s not really a good passive for Arsenal due to rocket A.I. Ambush however, is godlike for things like T16 runs or GR scenarios where you’re looking to one to three shot mobs.

1 Like

Yeah for speeds Ambush makes perfect sense, but for pushing I run both Cull the Weak and Thrill of the Hunt, with Ballistics and Awareness (for speeds am replacing ballistics with Ambush as I kill T16 RG’s in 2-3s so no need for more single target dps).

Ballistics makes the missiles really hardest hitters, here is what D3planner shows me on my DH:

Multishot / Arsenal

• Cost: 7.97 Hatred
  • Damage: 450,836,482,025
  • Rocket Damage: 751,394,136,708
  • Total Damage: 1,202,230,618,733
  • DPS: 3,434,944,624,950
  • Breakpoint: 21 frames

As you can see the rockets are almost double of Multishot dmg.

And this is with swapping out ballistics for Steady aim:

• Cost: 7.97 Hatred
  • Damage: 541,003,778,430
  • Rocket Damage: 450,836,482,025
  • Total Damage: 991,840,260,454
  • DPS: 2,833,829,315,584
  • Breakpoint: 21 frames

So pretty much Ballistics looks like BiS for Arsenal no?

Cheers!

Where is this number from? If you assume no overshooting of the damage, then it goes as (1/1.4) time/damage for the first 25% damage and 1 time/damage for the latter 75% damage, this means 0.25/1.4 + 0.75 = 0.928 time units instead of 1 time units without ambush, comparing the two (via division) we get 7.7% more dps using Ambush.

Of course, this figure is the bare minimum with zero overshoot (assuming it takes many many hits to kill a mob).

There’s a post on reddit about harmonic means that explains this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/eb5vgz/harmonic_means_you_ft_ruthless_ambush_frailty_100/

It changes with DML.

Ambush is worth more with a DML. Since it makes you hit the DML double-hit range sooner.

Assuming no overshooting, it’s still not 12.7% (not sure where that came from), but it’s 11.36% instead of 7.69%.

Value of Ambush
Without DML 100/((100-75)/1.4+(75-0)/1) 1.0769
With DML ((100-60)/1+(60-0)/2)/((100-75)/1.4+(75-60)/1+(60-0)/2) 1.1136

EDIT: I think it gets really wonky when you factor in Stricken. I’ve been meaning to crunch some numbers on that for a while, but I haven’t got around to it. Then the effect should change depending on your DPS relative to the RG HP. Depending on how many Stricken stacks you expect to get over the fight would change the relative values of Ambush and DML.

1 Like

12.7% wasn’t an exact figure, as I stated “roughly about”, but that figure came into play years ago when VocaloidNyan did an extensive spreadsheet on this, with and without DML.

The thread is obviously lost on the old forums, but the end conclusion was that you should expect roughly ~12.7% increase on average in a rift’s entirety give or take certain scenarios with a MS build. This figure has been thrown around on these forums for a long time and this is the first time anyone made a ~1% correction. :slight_smile:

The important take away though is ambush is not typically not stronger than the alternative choice for fire which is steady aim if all conditions are met, especially with the way rockets behave.

1 Like

I calculated 11% too, but the worth is greater on lower GRs.

Okay, how about this: with DML, It’s worth somewhere between 11.4% and 40%.

If it takes you an extremely large amount of hits to kill each enemy, it’s value approaches 11.4%.
If you always deal exactly 71.4% of each enemy’s HP, then Ambush is worth exactly 40%. If your regular hits either consistently deal either less than or more than 71.4% of an enemy’s HP, it’s worth somewhere between 11.4% and 40% :stuck_out_tongue:

The guy who wrote that post on Reddit added a post about that very subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/eb5vgz/harmonic_means_you_ft_ruthless_ambush_frailty_100/fb3zxt5/

And also made a spreadsheet to play with:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gYrS9mQ5n-_ukYfqm0TqGWN6IYGTngqTwhm8OVF4WyU/htmlview

If you want to get even more wonky about it then you can factor in how these effects interact with Area Damage. Ambush may only work on “Mob 1” until he’s below 75% life, but if he’s surrounded by other mobs at full health, then he’ll still be feeling some significant effects from the skill.

4 Likes

As DH, unless you’re doing the plant n fire Rapid Fire builds… you should never be staying in one place for more than a shot or two anyway.

Movement is Life ~DH Code