LON vs LOD Bombs. What am I missing?

What am I missing here regarding why LON is preferred over LOD bombs for s24? Can you not make up the damage of bane of trapped with a holy soj getting some more juice out of redeemer, and being able to use say a unity or justice lantern for more toughness? Or is it that you wont get an Area damage + CDr roll on an SOJ?

Can someone enlighten me?

Reality mostly lies in your personal preferences. But no, LoN is not better. It’s just different and requires a different playstyle to LoD. My advice, see Non-Seasonal No-Six-Piece-Set leaderboards (Americas server) for documentation of results and build specifics. Check out like top 5 guys’ builds for details, then make your pick, find a nice Ethereal to match and enjoy da slaughter.

[ Just to make sure you know this: If you right click on your character portrait, you can then choose See Leaderboards from the drop down which will appear. When leaderboards pop-up, switch from Overall to No-Six-Piece Set option (right above the character list), then right click your character of choice and select Hero Details from the new drop down. There you can see the build details that they used to run their GR. ]

First, keep in mind that with non-seasonal you’ll see high-paragon players who can get rid of defensive options in exchange for offensive options due to their extremely high strength and thus armor. This means that defensive rings - Unity, JL - are overall less useful, and there aren’t exactly many offensive rings.

Then going onto offensive rings, there’s really only 2 rings that stand out - Stone of Jordan and Convention of the Elements. Since Convention can and should be cubed, this leave Stone of Jordan as the main contributer. And Trapped on LoN is better then LoD on Jordan+random ring.

Then, of course, there’s also stats - Both LoN rings will always have primary stat and socket, and the other rolls are random - This means that you have much better chances at getting CDR, Thorns, LpH, ect. On the other hand, Stone of Jordan will never roll Thorns damage, and will always have the Elite Damge, Elemental Damage, and Primary Stat - This means that you have to get both a socket AND CDR roll on a Jordan in order to roll into Thorns.

You also have to consider diminishing returns on Elemental Damage, especially with any Legacy build - You’ll have Elemental damage from not only Neck and Bracers, but potentially also from chest, head, leggings, and maybe even shield. This means that effectively Stone of Jordan is only half the added damage of Trapped.

But yea, most of this is only stuff you have to take into account at high paragon when you can drop defensive rings, and even at high paragon, LoN vs LoD is a 2 GR difference at best, and often is barely just 1 GR differnce.

2 Likes

Both are really excellent. I am a non-season LoN Bomb player, though I do have everything for LoD w/ Hammers as well – I just prefer LoN. It boils down to these perks and player preference:

LoN w/ Pig Sticker

• Bane of the Trapped (60% more damage)
  • Only one(1) manually cast Bombardment per CoE Cycle
  • Pig Sticker Damage Bonuses (30% to beasts and humans) + 1 extra affix
  • Heart of Iron ~ 8-9% damage

LoD w/ Hammers

• 3+ manually cast bombs per CoE Cycle (in reality worth 40-50%+ damage due to cutting your AD before physical cycle)
  • Permanent Akarat’s Champ and Iron Skin:Reflective Skin (supports first bullet)
  • SoJ’s 20% elemental and 30% elite damage.
  • Quicker Rift Guardian kill.

If you are a beginner, or die often, I recommend LoD with CoE, Zodiac and Justice Lantern in push.

2 Likes

What do you mean by that? I am not sure I understand.

If you spam Bombardment outside of your main CoE element, you will slowly shrink your pull. When you eventually get to your 200% damage element, the trash might not be as tight, thus reducing your overall damage.

A very good player on this forum wrote about this here:

3 Likes