Login problem on D3 Website

Here are the steps.
Step Zero - Ensure that one is logged out of the Battle net launcher, close the launcher completely, and ensure one is logged out of all of Blizzard’s websites (WoW, D3, SC-2, battle net, etc.).

Step #1 - Clear browser cache and cookies, close the browser completely, and then restart the browser.

Step #2 - Navigate to diablo3. com and use the links on the page to get to this forum and verify that one is still logged out.

Step #3 - Start the Battle net Launcher and log in.

Step #4 - Once the launcher is loaded, click on the blizzard menu (top-left) and select “Account Management”. This should spawn a new browser window or tab that loads the account overview page (account. blizzard. com/overview…).

At this point you are suppose to be logged into the forum because there is a cookie placed on your device, assuming you allow cookies. Without cookies all bets are off. I have accept cookies enabled. The only thing I should need to do is refresh the “General Discussion” forum page and the page should show me as logged in. This was the behavior of the prior forum. However, even though I’m logged into my account overiew (battle. net account) I’m still forced to click the login button on the “General Discussion” forum page. Clicking the Login button does not produce the login dialog, it merely refreshes the page with me shown as logged in because of the active cookie already on my device. No, I am not presented with an addition login request in the authenticator app. on my phone.

At the end of step #4, if I open a tab/window to shop. blizzard. com it shows me as logged in. So, I’m allowed to manage my account, spend real money on Blizzard’s various wares, but participating in the D3 community, a feature I’ve paid into by purchasing the game, has me restricted in various ways.

===============
According to TheTias (player in the General forum) the issue is by desire with respect to the compartmentalization of the sub-sites within the battle. net network.

Hey there BossDogg,

Does this issue occur on different browsers as well? I’m wondering if it is browser specific.

You mentioned you are restricted in various ways, but it shows that you’re logged in. How are you restricted? Are you unable to post in a specific forum?

1 Like

BossDogg’s issue has to do with the fact that each forum’s Battle.net token is separate and is not simply using the token created by the Battle.net app itself. This was by design as each forum’s statistics and data are now separated (e.g. your trust levels one one forum are not shared to another forum).

He’s expecting that one is able to bypass the Login button on the forum once they’ve logged in via the Battle.net app. For the purposes of technical support, this is not a tech issue, but a user preference issue since Blizzard specifically designed the forum separation this way.

BossDogg’s being able to go directly to the shop from the Battle.net app most likely has to do with the Battle.net app’s shop tab, which obviously sets a token for that site specifically as it is required in order for the Battle.net app’s full functionality.

For the forum logins, all one needs to do in most cases is click it and they’re logged in if they have a valid Battle.net token on their machine via the Battle.net app. Once done, it is remembered until the expiration of the original token.

Thank you @TheTias for the background info. This isn’t a user preference issue but an issue of poor design. The issue first arose because of lack of information coming from Blizzard. Separation of foum sub-sites does not mean separation of all sub-sites. In fact from limited testing I did it seems the acct. management site and shop are in the same sandbox.

Because the surface level look and feel of the new website implementation following the steps in the OP should have lead to specific outcome. It did not. From our discussion in the general forum, the new websites implementation uses 2 similar but different logins. Multi-login designs are flawed.

@jambrix:
The extra click of the login button was an unexpected and undocumented requirement of the new website implementation based on the info. coming from Thetias.

So, is the separated login/out capability of the forums and account mngt sites a design feature or an error in the implementation? If the answer is yes then it would be smart to inform the customer base of how the separation works between the shop, forums, and account management with respect to multiple logins. The old website implementation used a single sign-on such that logging out of 1 part of the site meant being logged out of the parts. Most sites and apps do not use multiple logins. Many sites/apps employ extra forced credentials checks when entering certain sensitive areas of the site/apps to protect from compromise.

Hey again,

I understand now. Thanks for the clarification TheTias and BossDogg.

I’m afraid we wouldn’t really be able to comment on the design feature / error in implementation aspect of things here. The website designers / developers do not post on the forums in an official capacity. Here on the Technical Support forums only members of Customer Support post, and we’re primarily here to help troubleshoot game / site issues.

With any kind of technology change (like the forum platform being updated) there’s going to be some things that are different from the previous implementation of course. You are definitely welcome to report this functionality as a bug, and our QA team can check it out to see if it is intended or not.

Hopefully that helps a bit. :slight_smile:

Jambrix:
How do I submit a request to get the access to include URL links in posts?
Something as simple as being able to reference d3planner builds. This tends to be critical to sharing ideas within the various D3 forums.