LOD Hydras vs Set

Hi,
why LOD Hydras is played more, when there is a bonus to damage 9750 and the elements and legends added to it, but Set gives 1300 per head, which is for 10 - 13,000 …

Because LoD way more flexible when it comes to the complementary items like Tasker gloves, Magistrate and such. Those two can only be used together, when you use RoRG and block your cube slot, compared to LoD where you can just wear them. Not to mention you loose a ring slot on top of that. That’s plenty reason to not use the set. We told them that if this set goes life as-is it might be used during S20 because the cube was open… but after that? Yeah, here we are.

Typhon needs something like 2k% per head and DR bound to “a Hydra summoned”, or else it will stay in the dust.

Let’s face it, the only hope is that they take care of this for the balance patch.

3 Likes

I think Typhon needs to be (right now) 1750%. But if they change Deathwish to remove the global modifier (and they should), they will have to up Serpent Sparker to 600% as well. They might have to up the base damage of Hydra, too, because even LoN Hydra lags behind.

Also, it would be really cool if we had Magistrate equipped Hydras teleported with us, so Hydras could be a viable speed-build, but they might be technically challenging. I’d rather them buff Firebirds and Tal’s instead of spending too much time on that.

Even doubling Tal Rasha’s to 16,000 might open up a new EB build.

It’s more to do with the type of Hydra. It’s impossible to get 10 heads on the rune of Mammoth, hence the LoD buff is actually better. So if you are using any other rune besides Mammoth, then yes the set is better.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true. In fact, I think it’s very wrong.

It’s very true my friend, Mammoth is just that much better than the other hydras. If there was a 10 headed Mammoth, wizard would have blown past WD in hilarious fashion.

Mess around with the planner and see the dps. So really the devs aren’t very wrong with 1300% if all runes were equal, but they aren’t…by a enormous margin

So they got two plays next season:
A) You buff the set by 50% and nerf Mammoth (this option is bad as it would ruin LoD)
B) You buff the set by 100% and leave Mammoth (this option is the best as it’s okay if a set designed around one skill is better than it’s LoD counterpart EG: See Crus,WD)

or there’s option C, which would be needlessly complex:
C) You buff all other hydra runes, only buff set by 50%, buff SS by 25% and slightly nerf Mammoth
this option would truly balance things out, but the other options are simplier

I will expect to see doubling values in many of our sets next season, maybe even quadruple for Firebirds, I hope to not be disappointed

1 Like

I THINK my response was to another post that has been deleted.

Don’t use them for pushing GRs. Too weak compared to Vyr Todo. I only keep 2 Hydra builds to do Uber Bosses (hellfire mats) when I’m that bored. Why downgrade your build to a weaker version?
I wish they did not nerf Vyr the last time… it only puts them lower and does not balance out the Tiers any better.

I am not sure I am alone on this Hydra build thing, Mammoth Hydra should not be excluded by the Benefits of both sets…

Mammoth Hydra , the last variation of hydra acquired quite late in the levels of a character. And being excluded…

Blizzard should look into this

You are correct, they should look into this. But not simply in the regard that Mammoth is excluded from the set. They did that for a reason. Thing is, the runes need to be rebalanced because Mammoth is just that much stronger compared to the rest. Also, in the current form, I’m more or less fine excluding Mammoth, we still have LoD for that. I can picture including Mammoth in the set but that would either result in a complete revision of the set mechanics or some extra effects that only work with Mammoth.

But regarding Hydra… I have a feeling that delegating the damage dealing to a stationary pet is rather boring a playstyle, because Typhoon does not really support other damage dealing skills. But how about something like this:

Typhon’s Veil

(2) piece bonus
Multiheaded Hydras last twice as long and summon two additional Heads, one being a Mammoth head. Hydras summoned by the Mammoth rune now attack with all elements simultaniously for 70% of its normal damage.

(4) piece bonus
Active Hydras reduce your damage taken by 35%. While a Hydra is summoned your Teleport skill has no cooldown.

(6) piece bonus
Hydra deals 20000% increased damage and enemies hit by Hydra take 40000% increased damage from your signature skills for 5 seconds. Spending resources on skills other than Hydra removes this effect for 5 seconds. Attack speed granted to your signature skills now also increases the attack speed of Hydra.

Would you still want to use Deathwish under these conditions? They still need to buff things a lot, though… because not using DW/ES to buff everything is essentially a 90% damage loss.

it needs rework , all runes should not overpower each other but providing unique usage. Its really an irony that a Hydra set that can 't even buff Mammoth Hydra and because M.Hydra is overpowered , it’s excluded … Wat the heck is this logic?

I honestly dont know…i dont think Typhon Set is as bad as many people say.

With Typhon Set you want to play Frost-Hydra and what many people dont seem to know, is that the base attack speed of Frost-Hydra is Lower than the one of Mammoth and Lightning for example. Thus you need more IAS to hit the 30 Frame Breakpoint. Once youve reached that it becomes way more fun.

I have tried LoD too and its def fun. Also in all fairness my Typhon - gear is auged and the LoD one isnt yet so i lack a really fair comparison, but i tried to push a little yesterday and reached GR 115 with Typhon without much effort / fishing for a good grift.

Frosthydras critting in a huge range from 3500 B - about 21 T with CoE active and Taeguk fully channeled. So …in all honesty im quite happy with that set. But…well its my first sorc so i had low expectations after what i did read xD