✉ Letter to David Kim (Re: System Design of Diablo IV - Part 1)

Here’s why this is wrong.

Then all you need to do is just buff the numbers of said boss. Lol. The abilities themselves don’t change. Just the numbers.

Huh? What’s wrong? That’s just clarifying the definition of power creep.

My point is that power creep is bad because what you said here is what needs to happen to keep old content relevant. Increasing boss stats in order to keep them relevant is not good.

If we want old content to become obsolete then by all means let’s have power creep. If we want all content to remain relevant then the numbers must be balanced around each other. Not lopsided.

Okay, the point went way over your head because you don’t understand powercreep is and what the difference between ADDING IN NEW ABILITIES VS INCREASING DAMAGE VALUES.

After, I properly clarified the only correct definition for there can only be one TRUE definition.

Stop trying to insert your opinion on something you THINK you know but actually don’t and you would’ve gotten my point.

Edit: If your response is just you restating your false opinions on what you think power creep is. I’m not going to respond.

Yes, because every term/word in language has only one possible meaning. I am trying to work together here to be on the same page and now you’re making it a bit personal.

My opinion? I stated that I got my definition from doing a search online and the results came up as follows: Power creep, otherwise known as powercreep is a process that sometimes occurs in games where new content (in this case cards) slowly outstrip the power of previous alternatives . This leads to players abandoning previous options in favour of the latest and more powerful alternatives, resulting in an inevitable increase in power throughout the game.

So this was a definition of power creep in relation to Hearthstone (a card game) which can be applied to any game. Just replace “cards” with “items/bosses” etc.

Oh look, a response which I totally didn’t predict that you were going to do! /s

No it isn’t, because it’s a way to get players to want to farm the new items.
It’s also one of the basics of an RPG, getting stronger to face stronger enemies.

How the items are in the base game is meaningless. When they start adding new content, then we’ll really get to see if there’s something there for players to farm.

You can get stronger in other means.

If your whirlwind upgrades into a whirlwind that sucks everything closer to you. Is that not a definition of getting stronger?

Yikes…

If a legendary is equivalent to 3 affixes then:

Legendaries roll with 3 affixes and a power. Every legendary should have a power.

Rares should roll with 6 affixes (no double dipping)

Magical items should roll with 3 affixes which have twice the value of rares.

Done deal. You REALLY want crit? Get a blue. You REALLY want variety? Get a rare. You REALLY want a cool power, get a legendary. Simple enough to explain, leaves the player to figure out the rest.

2 Likes

And why can’t we have both?

Wow, what a beautiful topic.
Congratulations.

I agree with almost everything, I hope developers will read and adhere to these ideas.

1 Like

Not saying we can’t.

I’m saying increasing the damage numbers for the sake of increasing damage numbers is just lazy. IF there’s no reason to increase the damage value outside of just doing it for the sake of doing it. This should be avoided at all cost.

You do NOT need to be doing 12,000,000,000 damage with a 10,000% multiplier and by doing this throws power scaling out the window.

Which is the very problem with Diablo 3 that they increased the numbers for the sake of increasing the numbers therefor build variety gets whacked pretty hard because some sets can only put out 2,000,000,000 damage while other sets put out 50,000,000,000 damage.

If you have a smaller power scaling of a few thousand damage. You don’t run into that problem where certain builds are left in the dust.

Simply just chasing damages isn’t healthy. There must be a legit reason for the power increase.

1 Like

I’m just curious with what the fascination is with numbers and why going higher and higher is appealing versus varied boss mechanics and play styles due to unique item affixes.

1 Like

Yes. This is not an MMO.

1 Like

Because if gear doesn’t get better, new content becomes trivial as it releases. I rather have new items to chase added regularly to the game, than endlessly chasing for that one item, or getting the perfect build and not having anything to chase.

Good for you. I personally want more from D4.

I think I can explain this some what reasonably.

Because today, we have new technology and more sophisticated tools to create better games where before we didn’t. So a lot of games relied on simple increasing number values as content.

And that’s how it just was for many years until hardware became more powerful.

Honestly, I was on the side of Jay Wilson during Diablo 3 to some degree of getting rid of the attribute system. It was a good idea in theory until I realized afterwards how much of a mistake it was as it took power away from the character itself and made it more reliant on items.

This isn’t even remotely true. It’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about and I’m not going to engage with you after this response.

1 Like

paragon is pointless if we have proper level progression. why don’t we just have character levels go up to 50. paragon on top of that go to 50. another leveling system go to 50 on top of those two and so on. it creates this weird situation where you’re never feel accomplished because there’s no goal. One leveling system is required in an arpg. no more than that. if you do it right it will feel great and you’ll be satisfied by the level you reach instead of the level you’re told has all of the content behind it.

the point in an arpg isn’t to infinitely increase your level, it’s to become stronger than the environment/players.

1 Like

This. 100% Diablo 2 didn’t have infinite scale but yet it was superior to Diablo 3 in a lot of ways. Sure you can argue that Diablo 3 sold more but that’s a VERY limited definition of success.

Diablo 2 held people’s attention for many years past it’s release date. Diablo 3 did not do that.

3 Likes

I was having the idea that those items could exist if give different options for the player but without add more power.

One idea could be for them to give a multi-class option. This isn’t to build more power but to give felxibility to builds.

How it could work:

• Mythic items: this items would have the same stats as the legendary/uniquies but would give a mythic affix instead of a legendary one. This mythic affix would allow the player to have access to use the items and skills of a specific class (it depends on the mythic affix).

• Ancient items: the ancient items would have an ancient affix that allow the player to use a specific skill. Once they equip the item, they can put that skill on their skill bar. If the skill is from another class, they will need to get the mythic item that allow to use the skills of that class.

With this we would get a multi-class system in which the mythic item allow to use things of the other class, the ancient would give specific skills for that class and the legendary would support the skills in general.

This. One should have access to all places from the start, if you don’t go it is bcs it is too hard or too far away but not bcs it is locked by level.

Sure. Something like this. These items, whether they are called ancient/mythic/primal or whatever, should not just be generic stat increases of items that already exist in game. There needs to be dynamic affixes that change the way a character is played.

1 Like

I mean hell… We don’t even need to do that. It can be really simple.

Let’s say you have a roll of 100% to 250%… a normal non ancient item has a full roll between those two numbers while maybe the ancient rolls between 195% to 250%.

The power scaling stays the same but the gap of having a low roll lessens so you really get a chance of getting that perfect item. But also extremely rare.

1 Like