A lot of people want a lot of harder features added to the game but I think Blizzard may be hesitant for this because a lot of normies might not like it. I was thinking why not package them all into hardcore mode. Some of the common suggestions for a harder Diablo are no individual loot. Permanent item breaking. Permanent skill trees. And I was thinking to fix the offline mode dilemma that a lot of enthusiasts want they could make hardcore closed world. So you can only play with the people that you started your character with. You could have ladder rankings for different sized parties 1-4. Also of course the permanent death. Maybe you could keep your toon for PvP? Offer some more suggestions if you like this idea. And don’t forget to smash like!
I think these changes would really have the potential to push this RPG into pro gamer territory and would make for some great live streams. I don’t think they would put most of these changes to the normal game. Theres a whole group of people that don’t want to deal with a true D&D RPG experience. The people that don’t really go on forums. They don’t care as much about this game but still pay the same money we do so Blizzard tries to cater them too.
I think the issue is that hardcore is more roguelike, than hardcore. I think they could add a true hardcore mode, where everything (including bank, gold, and paragon) are deleted when you die.
I’m fine with the game being harder.
If they got rid of death passives, make loot rarer, monsters harder,
I would definitely enjoy that.
Permanent skill choices, etc.
Not sure who all would play, but sounds fun.
If you want greater live streams all you need to do is run a hardcore PvP tournament, and no “You get to keep the character for PvP” either. You lose, you lose the character.
Winner obviously gets some reward going forward into the next season to give them a slight advantage in defending their title. Not too much of one, but something nice.
I never though of it that way.
True but that could be a new way to think of a mode Rogue-like, as fast as you can, Race Mode.
Slow to try and get higher. Just like we have now.
Even time based Rogue-like, 1, 2, 3 or how ever many playing hours, but as any Rogue-like, new character with not items to help you.
Sounds kind of fun.
I am concerned about D4 because some of the feedback on this forum ranges from silly to downright stupid. Let’s hope the developers will filter out all the nonsense and make D4 the best it can be.
I wouldn’t worry about the feedback itself too much. Any developer worth their weight will know how to pick the good out from the rubbish and any developer that can’t probably wouldn’t produce a good game even without the silly ideas.
Plus, Blizzard’s style is to almost never take our actual ideas. They take more high level concepts that we complain about and put their own ideas in to address them.
Their idea of Angelic/Demonic/Ancestral Power came from us telling them “Affixes should be meaningful and create interesting choices in gearing”.
Horrible idea. A mode where when you die that’s it, you’re done. Oh, also, you can never become powerful and do anything significant because putting a set of gear together is impossible due to items breaking! Hard pass.
Why do people want to be forever locked into their bad decision making? The ONLY thing this encourages is looking up the most optimal build before you begin, and following that path exclusively. Permanence doesn’t encourage diversity, it discourages it. Especially in a game mode where death = the end.
I have a weird feeling this whole thread is just a “clever” masked attempt at an offline mode “self made self found mode”. Because every suggestion really leans towards that.
Hardcore is fine on Diablo 3. Then 10 second countdown is a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, D/C is a monster that should be dealt with on a case by case basis… Been playing Hardcore only modes on D3, D2, PoE, and D3 has the best hardcore mode out there. Losing your Gems, Augmented Gear, Primals, is very painful and does its job at punishing death. Paragons are dumb and should not give +5 Main stat per level… Maybe +1 Main stat per level…
Ya I’ve made a couple. I’m not sure why they aren’t in my profile though. I’ve hit level cap before too with a demon hunter. I can’t imagine I would have deleted him. I would have done hardcore more if the game was better. The game lacks depth for me to be super into hardcore mode every season. I only played 3-4 seasons with over a hundred hours.
Blizzard would be hesitant about this because even most of the people who ASK for those features will not like them.
Here is a bit of gamer psychology 101 for you. When people ask for hard features - they do not think about how much harder it will be to overcome the challenge and reach their goals. No. What they think about - is how much more epic and gratifying their victory will become. The fact that they GET that victory before getting frustrated and quitting - is not even in question.
When people think of themselves - they tend to vastly overestimate their capabilities. They think they can easily take on harder challenge. They tend to not think of repeated failure and frustration, and never measure it up against the limits of their own patience.
And blizzard knows it.
And every other game developer knows it.
That’s why they would hesitate. Because even OPTIONAL difficulty that’s set high enough will destroy player retention. People will pick it because they like to think of themselves as hardcore superheroes. Then many of those people quit your game - and they will not take “just lower the difficulty” for an answer. No. Because in their minds THEY are perfectly capable and skilled, an it is the developer who made crap unfair unplayable BS.
There is your reason.
TLDR: you think you do - but you don’t.
This phrase was true back when it was spoken, and it is true today.
People, especially gamers do not know what they want.