Legendary power rolls

Hi guys,

I have a question that I have trouble finding an answer to: How to legendary power rolls factor into the calculation. I don’t see them mentioned anywhere in the guides at all. Now I understand that you can’t reroll them, but take this example:

Lamentation can roll 100-150% damage on rend regardless of whether it’s ancient. Now all the ancients I’ve rolled so far (several dozens) have sub 120% rolls, whereas my non-ancient has a perfect 150%. How should I decide what to take?

Generally, it depends on the item but it’s best to just use maxroll to figure it out. Make a setup where the belt is sub 120% with an enchant of sorts and whatever stats you want. Then put a perfect legendary power on a normal belt and see the difference in damage of rend.

Use the regular belt with 150%.

As for “how to know”, you can ask here or do it yourself on Maxroll/D3planner, as Arcterious mentioned.

If you’d like an explanation of how to figure it out yourself just using a calculator or pen and paper, I can help you with that too.

Because they are multiplicative buffs, and thus does exactly what they say. For instance Lamentation just straight up increases the damage done of Rend by 100-150%. So there’s no reason to further explain that part. Of course there are exceptions to this, and those items will rarely be mentioned in the guides as they are inferior for that very reason.

Now when it comes to gear evaluation, then always go for legendary power first and foremost. The quick way is to take the high rolled legendary power add 100% then multiply it with 1000. Divide that number with the lower rolled one with 100% additionally on it. Divide by 1000 and subtract 1, and now you have how much extra you need to get in the comparison tooltip at the buttom.
Fx you have a lamentation with 120% and one with 150% this is what you get: (150%+100%) * 1000 = 2500
2500 / (120%+100%) = 1,136.36
1,136.36 / 1000 = 1.136
1.136 - 1 = 0.136 or 13.6%
Which is how much extra damage you will deal with the 150% variant compared to the 120% variant. You can spreadsheet the equation if you want, but you will get a hang of it rather quickly.

Thanks for the detailed answer, that really helps. Still think it makes sense in a guide to put at least a general mention of these kind of items. Just a ‘in general, pick whatever rolled the highest legendary power over stats’ for the relevant items.

Alright. Now I’m off to do the harder calculation: Figuring out whether to pick an ancient Oathkeeper with a decent damage roll but crappy leggo power over a near perfect normal one.

True, might be useful. Especially for weapons where the ancient bonus to damage really makes an impact. Also because there are times where magical modifers like cooldown reduction is more critical for the overall performance.