Last question about Firebird

Quick question: Now that the final patch notes have been released i would like to know, is it still worth playing wizard? PTR made it clear that removing the firebird interaction with pets was the biggest crime ever committed by Blizzard and the set became a complete garbage. However in the notes he received a significant buff in numbers. Which I believe is a pretty bad compensatory buff, but I’m not an expert.

Should I waste my precious life time playing this season? What are your thoughts on the possibilities with the released notes?

Did you eat something wrong and see strange things now? I mean, well:

6-piece - current Live:
You gain 5000% increased damage while Ignite is applied to a target. Hitting an Ignited enemy with a non-channeling fire spell deals Ignite damage multiplied by Combustion stacks.

6-piece - final Patchnotes:
You gain 5000% increased damage while Ignite is applied to a target. Hitting an Ignited enemy with a non-channeling fire spell deals Ignite damage multiplied by Combustion stacks. Pets cannot trigger this effect

Where do you see a buff in numbers? There’s but one change… this set will get a nerf and is about to become the same clunky garbage like all wizard sets. In that regard the devs did a good job. All balanced around trash tier level now.

On a side note… we get the nerfed set as a gift, What a joke.

That’s up to you, if you want the seasonal cosmetics, you have to. If you do, I’d recommend playing an Inna monk, though. At least if you want to achieve something else or enjoy the season theme.
If it’s only to get achievements for Guardian done and you want to stick to wizard, you must be a masochist. Nevermind, so am I. In that case, just slap together some sh!tty Energy Twister build based on Firebird for mobility. You can even ignore the combustion part and use Wicked Wind, because FB will still offer 5000% general damage if an enemy is ignited. That’s half LoD, but you get free Teleport, so can use all Twister items with FB and still clear high and fast enough.
Is it fun? No… but it get’s the job done. This is what I will do. I won’t play S25 seriously, I don’t even care about the S25 theme. Way too much of a hassle to even bother farming for this stuff and I won’t even need it to finish the Journey - so, about 50 hours, this is what I hope to limit my total playtime in the season to.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, you’re right. I was thinking of the old number on the PTR. in fact just a nerf. I might do what you say, play monk just to get the cosmetic and go do more productive things. it’s really sad to wait for new seasons and have the will to play completely shattered.

1 Like

Yup, correct. The devs hand out a nerf and give nothing in return. I get that they wanted to put focus on other classes this time, but then they could have simply ignored wizards for now. Showing us the middle finger on top is what they did, very motivating indeed.

2 Likes

The extremely clunky play style is pretty rough.

Maybe not a popular opinion, but I wish they would have simply changed deathwish. Mirror images would have been fine if DW wasn’t such a huge buff that allowed permanent max combustion stacks.

I was thinking of playing wizard this season but can’t decide on a build. They all seems so clunky. I might just pick a single skill and do what I can with it till I quit due to burn out. Perhaps molten impact.

I don’t even consider DW the biggest problem of the set, but the fact that it only disintegrates activates combustion. If, for example, blizzard with apocalypse did it, it would be simpler to keep the stacks and still attack with fire blades. They force the used to disintegrate is directly linked to them wanting to use DW. They will never change DW and I already accepted that. :confused:

I don’t care that much. As it was invented a lot of people just wanted to have MI not work with FB. At least as the easy solution, that’s what we got. Should just push our other wishes, so they can come true. F.e. Tal Rasha buff and a Delsere rework, etc.

The only good thing for Wizards are, that we have an active community. Besides Wizard players, that is only true for Barbs and DHs.

2 Likes

The whole thing is dumb. Realistically we can say that the devs made the initial mistake in using a channeled skill as the base for the set. That screamed “use Deathwish” in a wizard’s ear. So, not fixing DW first was the root cause for all the crap that happened afterwards and turned the set into the garbage heap of clunkiness it has become. Remember?
Deathwish led to Arcane Torrent being disabled as a combustion trigger, by banning all channeling skills from triggering FB6… so the best skill was now manual Blades, but in the end, Spectral Blade led to the use of Mirror Image, since that, again, allowed Deathwish to show its ugly face. Do you see the pattern? Mirrorbird was born, and managed to live through two seasons until player morons whined that manual Blades sucks in comparision. Instead of demanding balance measures they whined that Images are OP, suck and should be disabled. Lol, yeah…

At last the devs changed their mind and tried to fix the overperforming outlier by nerfing the whole set (in the typical stupid carpet nerf manner). That brought the outlier down but did not fix the imbalance… so of course wizard players got angry and, oh wonder, now here’s the thing. All idiots who wanted Mirror Image interaction removed got what they wanted, the devs made that next mistake and listened to them. Because it suited their limited time, they didn’t even need tests for figures. Removing MI by preventing all pets from triggering FB6 was a quick (and dirty) solution.
So, instead of fixing the problem by going after the root cause or just toning down the Mirror Images (to 10-20%), they banned us from using another set of skills, this time pets are banned.

Sure, that killed Mirror Images completely (moronic decision), but this “fix” leaves insane FB Twister on consoles intact and hell, those are even more OP than Images ever were. Guess what, changing DW would have dealt with both problems, but what do I (and many others) know…

One can make a mistake once, but not learning from it is foolish…

4 Likes

This is on point. Too make it worse, death wish itself is terribly clunky.

2 Likes

Im done with my wiz, every set is now total garbage and i have full primal pretty much of em all. I refuse to teleport around and melee. That is not what a wizard is supposed to be in any format going back to my first round of dungeons and dragons in 1984.

Made a monk, finished S24 in 40hrs. Its stupidly OP. Clearing 110s in 1 minute and change already with sub par gear. No wiz build comes even remotely close to this power yet monks get to live on and be even more powerful in S25.

Monks are boring, no strategy at all, its spamming 2 buttons, that’s simply it. Im done for a while, losing hundreds if not thousands of hours of work on my wizard because some melee dev decided its a great idea is just stupid and the gameplay is boring as watching paint dry.

They wonder why the blizzard brand is in decline, I cant imagine…

2 Likes

Pretty sure its the moronic wizard players demanded the MI nerf and turned FB back to its stupid melee manual blade playstyle. Melee wiz? Wtf?

Dont blame the devs, blame those brainless players who only play forums, not D3

2 Likes

Well, in the current situation I would have to agree. And the reason the devs gave us in the PTR notes is a load of bull, no matter how you look at it. But a melee wizard in general wouldn’t be bad, if done thoroughly it could work out well. We have shields, we have some melee range skills and some stuff like Arlyse/APD that would work in favour of such a build.
So, that kind of playstyle should include melee based skills, and Disintegrate surely is NOT. Ray of Frost, Sleet Storm or Arcane Torrent Death Blosson would match that, but thematically they are highly unfitting inside Firebird. Okay, true, as is Disintegrate, so, ergh, well… lol.
The biggest issue I have with this change is that a melee playstyle should INCLUDE Mirror Images and not BAN them. It’s the exact opposite of what I would have done and how I would have created a melee build… so yeah… to such a melee wiz, I would have to agree to “wtf”

2 Likes

Its personal preference. But Wiz as a whole in the fantasy realm is more caster/ranged meme than melee. Ofc in the fantasy realm, you have the freedom for anything, but I am not sold melee wiz playstyle. I d prefer ranged wiz setups even though you have very powerful melee versions. Personally, I d like Arcane Orb type of playstyle even staying at mid range.

We cant undo whats been done, but MI has an unique playstyle. Most complained MI AI had a lot more control element to what majority feedback on this forum claims. nerfing it destroyed a playstyle. Manual blade can be played on LoD to some degree, but not MI outside of the nerfed FB.

Tune down outliers is no problem for me, I wasn’t upset by the 1st iteration 3/4 dmg nerf, but triggered at MI/pet nerf. When requesting a nerf, ask your self are you nerfing power or playstyle? Especially unique playstyle.

Power = GR tier which is just numbers, GR 1 is same as GR 150 in a sense. Playstyle is what matters for gaming experience wise.

1 Like

Woah, easy now! If my memory serves me right slot of people that give pretty valuable information were vocal about MI. Especially in the thread “blizz please don’t overnerf Firebird”. You posted there yourself so you should know about the thread.
I personally didn’t agree. I tried to think of ways to changes to DW to bring manual cast and MI closer, that bit me in the behind though :slight_smile:
Instead we have the set in this state. Don’t be negative it could be fun as hell, but also in need of some help and love.

Older posts we have had discussions in there have been suggestions to legendary powers for blades, explosive blast and black hole.

I firmly believe that if some key items allowed all or a few runes for these spells and to increase the area of effect it would help tons and make it less clunky.

Ex. Spectral Blade, new legendary powers, effects.

All runes would offer larger area, defense etc.
Circular hit area. (Omnislash)
Hitting ranged (Kirin Tzo, the monk head piece, correct my spelling if wrong.)

Something like that.

Lastly, instead of lashing out let’s try to be creative. It is a shame that we have to wait for the right season theme to make a set, build fun.

That’s all from me, sorry for the :brick:.

Btw, @Lexa sorry for only mentioning you I was reading through the thread and hit the hand break at the part I quoted. @Abella and the rest of us try to keep it civil please.

The problem is that the devs only listened to parts of all the feedback and, as in most cases, took the easiest route. I do remember constructive feedback, sure. You know, I did the same since I saw this one coming after their first approach.

But I also clearly remember seeing a whole lot of plain simple requests like “just remove MI interaction and be done with it”… this is what Abella meant. One should not ask for nerfing playstyles. As long as a certain way of playing is neither unhealthy or requires cheating/exploits, there is no real reason to completely destroy it.

Firebird needed better balance between playstyles, not axing a whole build that was pretty unique on a wizard. And I agree with that. Point is, those who asked for removing MI interaction succeeded because it was the laziest solution. And everyone who plays this game for some time now and looks at what happened in the past should have seen this coming.

1 Like

A fully agree on all you said, I had the same fear.

But there is no reason to call people idiots no matter how much we disagree.
Let"s leave that behind now.

As for MI, the banning from FB is hitting hydra as well and it"s a shame because it"s a spell that is rarely used.
I do hope your suggestion on Typhoon/MI is heard. If they draw ideas from that it could become really interesting. MI instead of blizzard seems more compelling.

Yes, let’s leave it at that. I’m a reasonable person, but sometimes even I am sick of always sugarcoating my words.

Well, regarding my Typhon Veil concept… I would love to see them look into it since I think such a do-over would turn the set into something fun to play around with. Sure, some items would need a caring hand along that, to make all signature skills competitive, and they would have to rework Mirror Images a little for such a set but that’s not something impossible. Not to mention they already have a blueprint (Necro’s Simulacrum) for that kind of AI rework.

1 Like

To be fair to the idea of a melee wizard… everything in this game is played as melee, because you have zero ways to keep enemies off of you. All you can do is run (unless they are teleporters/ fast)…