Killed by the season theme?

Got killed from nowhere with this message:

!!Missing!! - 52021:SeasonTheme_Crusader Killed Blaquicat.

First time i ever saw that…

1 Like

Yeah - reported in PTR Bug Report here:

If your clone, or a clone of one of the players in your group, attack a “reflect projectile” monster with a projectile attack… you could get killed by the clone’s projectile.

1 Like

Technically, it isn’t a bug. Some of the clones use skills that fire projectiles. Some enemies have the ability to deflect said projectiles back at the player. Both these game mechanics are known and in the game. So the ability of the clones to kill the player is a known mechanic.

The fact that the devs didn’t change anything despite this point being brought up leads me to believe that this was intended.

http://i.imgur.com/0UdaoNf.png

Take a look, ignore the language.

Looks very weird, also, not supposed to die that easily with my current gear.

Just like in Season 21 where the lightning breath attack was also treated like a projectile for Dune Dervishes and Sand Dwellers. Basically, this issues with clone projectiles was reported on the PTR forums, ignored, pushed to live, reported on live forums, ignored. Essentially we’ve now had two seasons in a row where there are seasonal mechanics that are not under direct control of the player than can result in unavoidable deaths of hardcore heroes.

So, yes, not a bug, but also incredibly shoddy design / implementation.

2 Likes

Nope. You were fighting the dervishes. Those are one of the monsters that can deflect projectiles.

1 Like

Or it was a deliberate choice.

When you say deliberate, do you mean that they knew it would be an issue, but were too lazy to fix it, or do you mean that they thought it was better for the game to leave it like that?

You make it sound like it has to be one or the other. Either shoddy design / implementation, OR deliberate choice.

We know it was deliberate because it was reported on the PTR and they implemented it anyway. Are you saying that you think they thought it was a good choice to leave it in the game?

Imagine the developers all sitting around the table and discussing this issue. Then describe a scenario where they have the option to change this, but decide to leave it in. What reasons would they have for leaving it in the game?

To make players more afraid of HC mode?
To make players on HC not be able to click shrines, and so miss out on the season theme?
To make players hate Blizzard more?

I can’t see them seriously discussing this, and deciding to leave it in the game because they thought it would make for better gameplay. I think they just did not want to take the time and effort to fix the issue before pushing it out the door.

I would say it was deliberate shoddy design / implementation.

2 Likes

Of course they knew that unless they haven’t done any test at all. Even I knew that just by reading the patch notes before PTR started:

You forgot the super-Diablo in S19? and breathe lightning in S21 can be reflected by monster because it is projectile.

I think dev tried to add some kind of drawbacks into seasonal themes, so that they aren’t just brain-less buff.

At least, HC players can choose not touching shrine/pylon this season. Actually they can if they are careful enough and don’t wear Nemesis.

I think you must not have read my post fully, since I stated that. I was asking Timberwolf directly about what he meant.

No fun if playing hardcore. Another example of PvP or EvP (environment vs player). Friends on hardcore aren’t pushing as much. Friend lost his monk yesterday. I popped.

Yes, but if they play in groups how do you stop other players, who might be playing hero classes whose clones have projectile attacks (e.g. DH with Impale, Necro with Bone Spear), from clicking shrines / pylons? It doesn’t have to be your clone that kills you, it can be another player’s. Hell, on the PTR we even had non-DH heroes clicking pylons generating DH clones, instead of clones that matched their own class. Basically there’s no way to guarantee not to get a projectile-using clone, even if you’re playing a hero class whose clones don’t have projectiles, solo.

No, you can’t. So, all players in the group need self-control. Otherwise, better to leave the group.

I’m not familiar with all classes, but I think clones of all classes have some sort of projectile skills. You have mentioned DH and Necro. I think Wiz/Frozen Orb, Mong/WoL are projectiles too; I might be wrong.

It was a bug. Seems someone had reported it in live version too. Not bother to search for it.

So, the solution to clones killing players is to never click a pylon / shrine for the entire season?

Anyway, this is devolving into discussion which we’re not supposed to do here.
It’s not a bug, it’s just really, really bad design / implementation.

Bounties are safe because monster types are fixed per area. You should know what monsters will appear before you run that bounty.

In rift/grift, there are only few types of monsters per map. You may notice if there are dervishes/sander-dwellers or not at the beginning. If no such monsters, shrines/pylons in that map are safe; no nemesis bracers of course.

2 Likes