Karini Question

So my current Karini is non ancient with: int, avg damage, 6 CHC and 80%

Just picked up an ancient which is int, 4.5 CHC, reduced resource, 78%

Question 1: is the ancient better, given that I can augment it even though it is only 78%?

Question 2: if it is an upgrade should I roll resource to CHD or AD?

FYI I am just over 1500 paragon.

FYI2: I have used the primal ashes for my weapon.

Thank you

Without considering other factors, the ancient’s 78% damage reduction means you will actually take 10% more damage compared to the non-ancient one. (22% damage taken vs 20% damage taken)

The toughness loss shouldn’t be noticeable unless you’re pushing 140+, in which case you have to try them to see if you need the extra damage reduction or not.

I would keep the RCR because ancient tri-fecta rings can be hard to come by, and RCR is useful even though you may not need it in the season due to APoC. In builds that use Captain Crimson’s set RCR is good for damage reduction.

2 Likes

Cheers for the insight. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

I guess I can ask here instead of creating a new thread. Which Karini would you use (for lightning, comet, star pact builds):

-normal, 6% AS, 28% CHD, 6% CHC (rolled from INT), 80% DR
-normal, 10% AD, 6% CHC, 48% CHD (rolled from INT), 78% DR
-ancient, 615 INT, 19% AD, 6% CHC (rolled from VITA), 80% DR

Thanks!

This is one of those things that depends on what all your other stats look like.

To ballpark it, say you have 50% crit chance and 500% crit damage. Moving to the ancient from the normal ring with 48%CHD, you lose ~a tenth of your crit damage that would have applied to half your hits, so you’re down ~5% of your DPS. But you gain INT, ~1200-1300 including augment. So roughly, if the augmented INT boost is at least 5% of your total INT, then it perfectly makes up for the lost damage.

On top of that, you also gain some more Area Damage(great) and a hefty chunk of toughness from both the Karini DR and extra resists.

Verdict: Probably use the ancient?

When you have to choose between CHD/CHC and AD, always go with the former. CHD/CHC boosts your damage in all scenarios, while AD only takes effect with dense packs, and it has a 20% trigger chance for each target. Meteor build is so powerful this season that we even do not need to pull big packs (which also cause lags), so the importance of AD is lower than before.