Just getting into HC

So. I just started playing D3 again but this time instead of starting a softcore toon I decided to roll hardcore.

I feel like this is how the game is meant to be played. The feeling of always being able to lose your character makes you play so differently. I leveled a crusader and was pushing t6 with him using a smite build and the steed charge set. Was actually amazing. Definitely there is better builds but i was honestly surpised how far i could push using this one.

Anyways. I died. Pushed too hard and suffered my consequences. First time I’ve played HC and first time losing my toon permanently. I sat in my chair procesing what had occured. I wasn’t mad or upset. It was almost bitter sweet tbh. I rationalized it like this. People start new toons every season. Why is this any different?

So I laid on my bed for a bit with my lady, decompressed and then got right back to leveling my second crusader.

The crusade marches on my friend!

2 Likes

Welcome to hardcore.

I remember losing my first character. A wizard. Blindly teleported right into the middle of an elite pack and they feasted on my butt. I was depressed and I told my wife and she was like, “So?”

Ouch.

Eventually you laugh about it.

Hey Warkid. I have to say… once I switched to HC I never returned to SC. That being said, it can be a bummer to lose a char to disconnection problems. I have lost multiple characters over the years. 80% or so to disconnects and only 20% to legit mistakes. If you have a very reliable internet conection that may be less of an issue but still be prepared for the big bad DC monster.
My way of dealing with this dicotomy (I like HC but I dont like DC deaths) was to make point of building an invincible Crusader. My best char can clear GR 80 solo being invulnerable to anything. Having one char that never dies feels good and helps to rebuild others faster. I hope you enjoy your journey in HC, as I said, it’s a one way ride and you won’t go back to softcore!

Hardcore is a rush with impending doom always right around the corner. I’ve sent many a character on to Valhalla. I few things I’ve learned:

-Always keep complete extra sets of gear in your stash.
-Use gems of ease to make sets of leveling gear so that you can get right back into the action with little down time. Getting back into the fray is best medicine for a HC death.
-If you have a build that you’re pushing with keeping an extra character already leveled up means no downtime at all.

As an aside: I’ve taken to adding numbers to my toons as way of remembering those who have come before and the lessons learned.

The only real problem I have with HC is that it makes me even more of a hoarder than I already am. :wink:

Would you suggest a thorns Crusader for the added defense it naturally gets?

Welcome to hardcore brave soul.
Ya, most hardcore players don’t get mad when they die (unless is by a DC lmao).
I suggest you using the life regen gem, it helps a lot, gives you a decent window to reposition yourself if you do a subpar move.