Just curious on peoples opinions on this personal loot idea

I still dont see how this could work in game. How blizzard would make that change? Seems complicated if the loot stays the same yet we roll to see who gets it then it stays on the ground for a set amount of time before the other person can pick it up, so basically we are all just standing around waiting for stuff to show up on our screens? Not loving it

Ok, last reply for me before bed, but to address your last post there.

The change would not be a huge one to make, the dice rolls occur “behind the scenes” nearly instantaneously, and the amount of time the loot drop stays reserved for could be just a few seconds - let’s say 5 - as other ARPG’s have done.

It drops, it’s text is in red for me, indicating I’ve got first dibs on it, while for everyone else it’s grey. After 5 seconds it turns white for everyone (me included), and anyone can pick it up.

Even this system would still blunt the PickIt cheats, since if that red text reads “Jah Rune” you’re sure as hell to pick it up before it turns white!

It’s bad enough that D2R will, in short order, have bots, (D3 has them so the you-beaut-new-Battlenet doesn’t stop them), but if it’s also contaminated with PickIt2.0 users, as it surely will be if D2R ships with shared loot that is freely tradeable, and gives no-one even the option to set their open games to personal loot then it will, imho, really have dropped the ball.

Good chatting, nearing 4am here, off to bed for me.

Gnight man, just woke up alittle bit ago myself 9:49 am here. I think if they have done this to other games it could be possible, but for them to implement something new to there loot system is just something i cant see them doing.

1 Like

I agree that I don’t know if Blizzard will actually do it or not. If the game is running off the code of the original game it might be a programming nightmare to implement and not worth it from their perspective. But assuming it’s not and can be done, I have not seen any real reason from the player perspective to not do it.

My opinion of personal loot idea is I wish people would shut up about it.

Personal loot is for other games, not a D2 Remaster. Shared loot has its own advantages and it’s part of what D2 is and what makes D2 so successful. Frankly, I’m annoyed at people clamoring for personal loot or charm inventories that both drastically change the basics of the game. This is straight out of the D3 spin zone and it’s exactly what many D2 fans have already rejected.

Less controversial things imo:
Rune stacking or gem stacking - I’ve heard stacks of 5 on the runes, if stacking is a thing perhaps limiting the rune (and possibly even gem) stack size would be a good idea.

Least controversial changes that would probably be good changes:
Cow level respawn - I like trading a token of absolution for the ability to open the portal should you accidentally lose the ability. If it does or doesn’t get changed it’s not a big deal to me.
Diablo clone - I think this pretty much has to change somehow. Furthermore, I haven’t seen anyone say they like the current system of finding a community of cheaters to spawn him.

2 Likes

And many D2 fans also want personal loot - again, what’s your argument for rejecting even the option of personal loot. Why should your preference for shared loot, override the option of other people to set the games they make to personal loot?

1 Like

Just explain to me why you would be so against having an option on game creation to have loot as either FFA or as an allocated personal loot. You never have to create or play in a game that does not use FFA loot. You can choose to only play with like minded players. According to you those wanting ploot should just be playing D3 anyway. It can be done in a way that does not affect drop rates or flood the game economy with “extra” loot. If those advocating for ploot quit playing after month, it also should not affect you because you can still create and play in games that are FFA loot with other like minded people. Besides, since FFA is so superior, won’t the vast majority be playing that anyway?

simplest change:
raise lightning resistances of immune monsters to be over 117% (as that is literally just editing a txt file)

as for the “but the market is going to be flooded” argument
it does 0 to change any scarcity for any drop
only if you get more chances for each player to get an item from the same kill, do you increase the amount of items dropped total, which means more chances to drop something useful

let’s take, say
baal hell quest kill (aka champion kills it) 8 player game, 8 people in the throne
a pedestrian 350% mf on the character
the chance to drop
a harle is chance: 0.2450529%
a griffon’s chance: 0.0101614%
a lash 0.0101614%

you are still left with loads of grind

Let me ask you this. What is the argument for personal loot? At what specific times do you think you should get a share of the loot? When you’re a screen away? When you’re in a public Baal run?

I’m not so worried about the market being flooded but for magic find runs being trivialized. Why would a person even do those runs if they can run public Baal games all day and get lvl 85 area personal loots and baal drops. You can be a weakling and farm high level areas of the game where otherwise you might have to grind yourself to get strong enough to farm that gear. This system forces everyone to public baal and chaos to be efficient. The most efficient way to play should vary based on what you’re trying to accomplish. D2 is great already.

The arguments for personal loot:

1. Deters the development of a new PickIt, or at least renders it moot in games where personal loot is set.

2. Can be optional, so those not in favour of personal loot, never have to use it.

1. Doesn’t incentivize leechers to stand around doing no damage to a mob because they’re hovering their mouse of the mobs expected loot drop area.

2. Removes a disincentive to group play.

As for the mechanics of it, I think a distance of no greater than 1 screen when the mob dies is sufficient. Loot that drops can remain “reserved” for five seconds or so before reverting to free for all loot, if the person it was “reserved” for didn’t pick it up. And of course, this is only in games set to personal loot by the game creator.

i can farm out gear to beat the whole game in normal and nightmare difficulty, before even half of the game is over
or I can buy game beating gear with runes>=sol and a few pgs

that does 0 if you know what you’Re doing
and efficience forces people into publics anyway thanks to the no drop chance.

If you’re willing to trade for botted gear. I play mostly self found (cause it’s lame to trade that sol and pgems for a high rune, obv buying bot gear) and don’t want the loot system changed cause the current system already has the advantages I enjoy.

Sounds like good itemization to me.

It wouldn’t be optional since the two don’t provide the same playing field, use it or get left behind.

Yes, and renders solo play obsolete. Why would a person run anything other than pub Chaos runs or Baal runs if they can enjoy lvl 85 area drops, max xp, more loot via players 8, easier to do, and a boss drop at a fast pace. It’s not anything like current D2 and it’s all reward and no pain. I don’t want to play with others every time I play either.

1 Like

the problem would only be, that decent planing means you can be hell proof easily because the game is simple.

the argument for “botted gear” does not work with personal drops.

I don’t believe either of those is accurate.

1. Personal loot doesn’t involve or require one single extra piece of loot to drop, so while playing in 8 players gets you the bonuses they bring, whether it’s personal loot or shared loot, the loot is still going to be “shared out”, one way or another, so your categorization of them as not being on the “same playing field” doesn’t hold up.

2. Again, your argument that it would render solo play obsolete is false. Regardless of whether they’re in a game running personal loot or shared loot, the sum total of loot remains the same. Moreover, they’d only get the bonuses other players would bring if those players were close by as happens normally, so if one player is off killing Pindle say and the other is doing Baal, beyond the fact that there’s two players in game, they’re not getting any bonus, regardless of whether the game is on personal or shared loot - they’re exactly the same.

Ya like I always say I am not for personal, the splitting of loot, and not keeping in mind the items you may never see, it is different, however most arguments against it are reading how it would work wrong, it merely rolls who receives the gear, if in the same party, and within killing distance of that monster. Splitting up, being 2 screens away, none of that matters as it’s now strictly your kill.

@OP
I’m too tired to understand your exact calculation right now, but I notice 2 things.

• Ievel is a poor indication of how much someone is contributing; a level 60 with a good build/gear can do way more than a bad level 80
  • if someone is not contributing enough to deserve loot, why do they deserve experience?
  • Ievel is a poor indication of how much someone is contributing; a level 60 with a good build/gear can do way more than a bad level 80

Ya it doesn’t work well for super charges low levels, especially in games with a 60 in say baal runs, just won’t get XP or drops.

• if someone is not contributing enough to deserve loot, why do they deserve experience?

Well usually once your 10 levels separated its like <5% XP so my punishments would kick in at roughly the same amounts as XP punishment, so I agree if you cant get XP you can’t get loot.

instanced loot? hell no, random allocated loot sure why not, long as they dont increase the amount of items that drop im good

I could not care less. More loot means cheaper items, cheap items means more gear, faster gearing cycle and more people achieving their planned outcomes.

It would be nice to actually get something in a group run, outside of the mad dash from one item to the next.

1 Like

I think that is a fair request.

If someone is only leeching:

• partied and not actively killing monsters. Just benefitting from the experience gained and/or for picking up the drops
  • or unpartied and simply picking up the drops

…then these types of gameplays ought to be restricted to solely picking up minor and light healing/mana pots up until they have gained the ability to join in and experience playing the game with their party members. That would be awesome.

Yet, I do not mind whatever Blizzard decides as the game’s core play strategies and such as family, friends, and I play private games.

:alien: :dolphin: