July 13 - D2:R News: Technical Alpha Learnings

They stated in the blog that the character would not load in until loading was complete. So shouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

There are 8 different D2 game modes on Battle.net:
Classic Softcore Non-Ladder
Classic Softcore Ladder
Classic Hardcore Non-Ladder
Classic Hardcore Ladder
Expansion Softcore Non-Ladder
Expansion Softcore Ladder
Expansion Hardcore Non-Ladder
Expansion Hardcore Ladder

When logging onto D2: R, and you get to the character selection screen where it shows the current character, and the act you’re in in the background they should have different tabs for each game mode to make it easier to select your characters for each game mode instead of having characters mixed with different game modes.

1 Like

I still want to see what will happen when entering Duriel’s chamber with the updated loading screen :slight_smile:

I, for one, do not want to know. Duriel’s plans supersede anything Blizzard does, lol.

3 Likes

Pop a few thawing potions beforehand, it will turn his claws into soft pillows of cuddliness. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

is not about Duriel freezing you but the speed he comes to you with charge skill

Based on what they mentioned it will make sure asset load is complete before adding the player so while there may be a load it won’t start until everything’s loaded.

1 Like

I am sure sometimes that loading time will fail it’s new repaired timing and a hardcore character will die due to that !

That would be considered a catastrophic failure and it wouldn’t be left in that state. Besides, loading orders are pretty strict so I doubt it’ll have any problems. Now, your personal hardware may come into play but that’s something that you’ll need to consider as an end-user.

3 Likes

All the changes resemble care, polish, and attention to detail.

The potions are the most noticeable. A very nice alteration.

The rework of the Sorc’s Blizzard coming in at an angle is a better representation of a high wind + ice interaction, as opposed to straight down.

The Skull “gems” look better without so much shading, an improvement.

The post alpha bow is a fuller and a “meatier” representation of a bow. The original looked more like an icon or placeholder.

Three shared stash tabs seems to provide the best blend between functionality and aesthetics. Anymore than three shared tabs and it would begin to feel like Mary Poppin’s property.

A very nice summation of QoL additions. A bit underwhelming in that the most talked about issue isn’t mentioned, but then it wasn’t a QoL issue. I look forward to playing the beta.

2 Likes

I also highly appreciate the increased velocity of the shards falling from the sky for Blizzard. It’s a nice touch.

User clicks entrance to Durial… Display hooded figure at door.
Game sends to Bnet “user clicked entryway to Duriels lair. Waiting for resume command.” Door cracks open a bit.
Bnet responds “Acknowledged, game paused, awaiting game client(s) loaded confirmation.” Door open a bit more.
Loading… Door opens a bit more.
Loading… Door opens a bit more.
Loaded! Game sends to bnet “fully loaded!” Door almost all the way open.
Bnet responds “Acknowledged, send Durial to wax floor with character. Muahahahalol (Resume command)” Door fully opened.
Game responds “OK, resuming!” Displays Durials lair with a huge creepy crawly with claws marching hastily towards you :speaker:LOOKING FOR BAAL??
User responds “Ahhhhhh!!!”

2 Likes

I hope they dont use diablo 3’s match making that is fine on console but i liked looking at games and picking one for what i had in mind like trade, act one andy i hate d3 match making

6 Likes

there better be the lobby system.

9 Likes

Agreed. Diablo 2’s lobby system is a must. Diablo 3’s match making system is absolute trash, there is no reasonable functionality to it.

6 Likes

God i hope so im super excited but that would ruin the multiplayer experiance and im not big on single player online play and the people you meet made the game for me

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they already confirm this during Blizzcon? I think the biggest clue would be them stating that players will have the ability to search game from previous difficulties rather than being locked to current difficulty mode, would be a big confirmation that yes, there will be lobbies.

I can’t actually recall, so I’m bandwagoning at this point to make my stance clear. :> I’m at work so I don’t have much room to do research before I post.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was during the Deep Dive with Mr llama that they stated about being able to search previous difficulty, and talked about players having to switch to a lower difficulty character to search before.

I think your right but you can also change your difficulty on d3 have they said there is going to be d2 lobby system? I cant find anything stating it directly

1 Like