July 13 - D2:R News: Technical Alpha Learnings

Yeaa… I understand that they are trying to remain true to the original game, but stash limitations never made sense. They only made sense in 2001 when we had 10GB hard drives and 256MB of RAM.

They are hesitant to increase the space because they think it will change the game too much, or piss people off, but I don’t think it would do either. It doesn’t change anything about the game. The only thing the shared stash really effects is hardcore characters. Otherwise, why not just have like 5 personal tabs and 5 shared? Or more… Is there any other reason to limit space, other than maybe to prevent bots from stashing thousands of items on 1 character?

11 Likes

It might be customizable options for opening games, such as max players in your game?

I can see that being a level range and max players thing. Maybe a game kick option or something.

Theoretically, they could use data caching for almost all assets. I’m sure they already do, though, for everything that would make sense to cache. I would assume the loading times are just for things that are purely dynamic.

These answers make sense to me. I am hoping that it also includes other features that are more relevant to multiplayer games including making other players “pets” somewhat transparent and other options to reduce visual clutter.

I think pet transparency would be in were accessibility options are or graphic options personally. Mainly think this, because if you want this, you would want it in all games not just ones you create as a game lobby creater.

Maybe you can also have control over who can enter your game other than just a pw.
Like anyone, Bnet friends, request to join or completely private… (where you can invite ppl in ofc)

1 Like

Didnt think of that, Friend of Friends, Friends Only, maybe Guild Mates only? That could easily be under that heading aswell.

1 Like

It would be a dream come true if they had the entire game load at Game Load Time upon game creation. The hope is that they do this, but from the current direction they’re taking, that won’t be able to be deciphered until the game goes live. Maybe even beta.

I have guesses. Remember this is a Global ladder but they have not specified how match making will work. By default games like OW match you to people local-ish to you so you play on a more local datacenter. If nobody is available the pool expands farther, but you get more lag.

Maybe related to matchmaking options?

2 Likes

Maybe set your Ping range for games you want to join or something? So you dont join games on servers on the other side of the globe from your connection server?

It is cool to finally see a blog. Good stuff presented such as the globe filling and skill animations (which we already seen the skill animation and color fixes during E3 trailer), 3 shared stash which was generally the thought since there was an image during Blizzcon for it (and no unlocking to boot it seems), and a future blog on additional QoL changes probably before Beta is live. I find it funny though for no mention of Switch (not of interest to me, really) but I wonder if it will end up using D3’s peer to peer system for multiplayer and be it’s own thing, and no mention of classic non expac for shared stash (of interest to me, especially if no balance changes to LoD in the near future or ungating of ladder only).

I still think I’ll be leaning more towards a hopeful updated Plugy after season 1, unless they address ladder vs non ladder and longterm play with our non expiring characters (this will especially be important for console players if they don’t add cross play eventually), but more QoL is incoming which will be nice. I’d imagine to see in game runeword lists and possible skill hotbar are going to be the biggest additions we will see by launch (since they keep mentioning accessibility).

1 Like

Almost speechless. Amazing work. The spells look great. The graphics look phenomenal. I prefer the pre-feedback skulls but honestly that’s just being extremely picky. The item art is better than I could have imagined. I’m here for this

9 Likes

Yea I was confused as to why they had complaints about skulls not being right? I thought they looked fine as the more realistic ivory colored hue, than pure white. That being said, the more white is more true to the original.

2 Likes

Most of what i see here is promising and i had begun wondering when we would see an update in the last few days.

1 Like

Going to drop a pin here to help gather feedback on the info shared through the blog. Appreciate the share and we’ll keep an eye on this thread! Looking forward to dialing in on your feedback :slight_smile:

33 Likes

Seeing the new potions are nice, how will rejuvs look? Did there appearance change? What about the stamina, chill, antidotes?

Knowing if these changed aswell would be helpful.

Chat Gem thing… Tell me more please.

Dude the loading screen must be vanished at all, even 600 miliseconds loading screen could be deadly for Hardcore

2 Likes

Loading Screen: Character Vulnerability & Time

Characters will no longer spawn in a hostile place until the game is fully loaded, preventing characters from getting attacked or harmed during a loading screen. Additionally, the overall load times will be faster.

This is from their new blog post.

7 Likes