Issues, Bugs, and Feedback regarding the new Sets

Hey there,

I took the time over the last couple of days to test a couple of things. Here are my findings. It’s worthwhile noting that a lot of people helped out on the mechanical testing part and voicing their opinions. Thank you to wudijo, Rob, Northwar, Rosen, Lobo, LouLou, grev, Rangsk!

Issues and Bugs

Note: An item labeled Issues denotes a problem which may be a difference of design philosophy between myself and the team, whereas an item labeled Bugs denotes a problem which has been found to function either incorrectly or not-at-all.

• Barbarian:

• Bastion’s Revered:
      • ISSUE: Does not yield 11 individual hits and therefore NOT 11 chances to proc Frenzy’s Sidearm Rune (just one “chance”).
    • The Undisputed Champion:
      • ISSUE: Mismatching the element of the rune will lead to the player not benefiting from %element primary rolls on gear even though all runes are granted. The same issue exists for Archon 2PC-Vyr and is still persistent.
    • 2PC-HotNS:
      • ISSUE: Wording lacks clarity; it buffs the “effect” without ranges and durations.
      • BUG: War Cry:Grim Harvest receives no bonus. Maybe the hidden “10 globes over 10 seconds”-restriction from Patch 2.4.1 is an issue here?
  • Wizard:

• Etched Sigil, Deathwish, Mantle of Channeling
      • BUG: Currently yield twice the benefit (a.k.a. double dip) when activated with Arcane Torrent.
    • The Magistrate, Serpent Sparker
      • Manald Heal was “separately activated” to work with Lightning Hydra and the passive Paralysis. The design, back in the days, to support an MH-Hydra archetype hasn’t been followed up with in this Hydra Patch. ISSUE: The Magistrate as well as Serpent Sparker do not have this exception for Manald Heal on Lightning Hydra.
    • 2PC-TV:
      • The +2 additional Hydra Heads do benefit from all multipliers with one exception. BUG: 1 Hydra Head does not gain the multiplier of Arcane Dynamo.
      • ISSUE: Mammoth Hydra has no interaction with the 2PC.
    • 4PC-TV:
      • BUG: Hydra Heads are removed, even if no damage is taken while being protected by a shield.
      • BUG: Hydra Heads being removed does not have a sufficient ICD.
    • 6PC-TV:
      • Manald Heal was “separately activated” to work with Lightning Hydra and the passive Paralysis. The design, back in the days, to support an MH-Hydra archetype hasn’t been followed up with in this Hydra Patch. ISSUE: 6PC-TV multiplier does not scale MH-Hydra instances.
  • Witch Doctor:

• The Barber:
      • BUG: The Barber used to be a Dagger. It still has the Dagger APS Base (1.5) on a Ceremonial Knife (should be 1.4). However, it has the Weapon Ranges of a Ceremonial Knife.
      • BUG: The Barber multiplier is not consistent with its wording. It reads as a 5.0 but is a 6.0 multiplier. This is inconsistent with other ingame tooltips.
    • 2PC-MR:
      • BUG: Doesn’t switch areas with your character.
      • BUG: Sometimes attaches to a different player and follows them instead of you.
    • Phantasm:
      • APS is still a separate multiplier for Phantasm as well as other Pet multipliers. ISSUE: Ring of Emptiness doesn’t work with Pets by design, yet it scales Phantasm since Spirit Barrage is a “skill”.
      • BUG: Phantasms created while Spirit Walk is active won’t accumulate ticks until Spirit Walk ends.
      • BUG: Phantasms created while Spirit Walk is active have a shorter lifetime.
    • Manitou:
      • Gazing Demise APS increase for Manitou is roughly a 6.5x speed-coefficient on Manitou itself.
      • Manitou automatically explodes once the accumulated damage would oneshot for the the target’s current life.
      • Manitou with The Barber accumulates as long as there is one Phantasm out (anywhere), else it immediately explodes for the accumulated value (one attack). BUG: Manitou should accumulate regardless if Phantasms are alive while The Barber is equipped.

Feedback

These are my personal opinions.

• Season 20 Theme:
    • Overly strong for the Necromancer. Rat runs will prevail even harder than before. It’s worthwhile looking into putting an Internal Cooldown on Reaper’s Wraps to force a shift to meta-XP-farming. (Likely perma LotD will be forced in S20, which might still lead to a Rat-XP-meta).
    • S20 Theme should be available on NS. People that choose to test the theme should have the possibility to do so.
  • Barbarian:
    • Bastion’s Revered: Make all “additional hits” hit separately with a proc-coefficient of non-equal 0. Procs AD, LpH, Sidearms.
    • HotNS Set is hard to evaluate without a properly working Bastion’s Revered.
  • Witch Doctor:
    • MR’s Headpiece is not Voodoo Mask, hence it can’t roll Mana. Furthermore, it doesn’t roll default Crit.
    • 4PC-MR:
      • Mitigation does not suffice. LoD outperforms due to that reasoning. Increase DR to 70-80%.
      • Now grants CC-Immunity as well.
  • Wizard:
    • LoD Hydra should allow for a “channeling”-Hydra archetype incorporating Etched Sigil and Deathwish. Without any further changes TV will always incorporate the channeling multipliers of Deathwish, Mantle of Channeling as well as Etched Sigil, enforcing yet another similar archetype playstyle. The suggestion is to slightly adapt Deathwish and TV as follows:
    • Deathwish:
      • While channeling Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, or Ray of Frost for at least 1 Second, all damage of resource-spending attacks is increased by [250-325]%.
    • 2PC-TV:
      • Double the duration of Hydras and remove its cost.
      • Each time you attack with a generator each Hydra gains a Head up to two additional ones.
    • 4PC-TV:
      • remove the “hydra heads dying” - make the DR persistent.
      • Hydras target enemies hit by your generators on their next attack and deal 500% increased damage to them.
    • The Magistrate:
      • Should inherit the rune you have equipped (CCR with Frozen Mist).
      • Reduce multiplier to 350%.
    • Serpent Sparker:
      • Reduce multiplier to 350%.
    • Shifting the Hydra multipliers from The Magistrate and Serpent Sparker into the TV set (4PC-TV in this case), buffs the Set in comparison to LoD, whereas LoD can utilize channeling multipliers. Due to the suggested 2PC-TV change, TV is no longer forced to use Deathwish and Etched Sigil anymore.
  • Generic PTR Testing:
    • Acquisition of reasonable quality of gear to test with takes too long on PTR. Rolling items for ~4 hours to test the viability of a build is frustrating (especially since not all test are successful). Possible solutions are:
      • Mystic can re-roll unlimited amount of affixes.
      • PTR Vendor Bags drop Ancient/Primal only.
      • PTR Vendor should offer a “Material Bag” (rich with Bounty Mats, Souls and Normal, Magic, Rare Materials, Hellfire, Imperial Gems)
      • PTR Vendor Bag Legendary Gems (all gems level 25)
    • PTR servers have overall horrible performance. We can’t meaningfully validate the capability of end game builds, if the servers can’t sufficiently handle even average “pulls”: https://i.imgur.com/OBqOFP7.mp4

Recommended additional Views:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/f1738m/wd_mundunugus_mechanics_suggestions/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/f0j8rr/wiz_typhons_veil_feedback/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/f04gm1/frenzy_barb_mechanics_thoughts/

63 Likes

Heres to hoping that we can get some of these much needed changes/ fixes C:

1 Like

Thanks for the meticulous testing and feedback!

2 Likes

Tried to hit flag but misclicked, J/K great indepth analysis and well thought out changes.

1 Like

Thanks for a very thorough and valid feedback.

1 Like

Yea, wow! Great job sVr et al. Lots of work to be done for the Blizz team… It’d be nice to get some acknowledgement from Nev or someone

Great job nonetheless

1 Like

Watched some of the testing streams and this was very thoroughly done. Hopefully the devs take notice and fix most if not all of these issues prior to next season.

+1 gg guy ! Great post

1 Like

I hate the idea of tying TV to generators. I’d rather have Hydras cast Wave of Force than Frost Nova. Makea no thematic sense for Mammoth to cast Frost Nova. I’m not sure what the 2 piece hydra duration accomplishes. They could remove it and I wouldn’t notice

Restore Manald Heal as a playable option! Enemies stunned by Paralysis take % multiplier damage rather than weapon damage.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Awesome work! It was a pleasure helping out on some of these tests! There is just so much work put in behind the scenes.
This feedback is a huge step in the right direction from the current PTR state.

One thing I want to highlight again is the seasonal theme being to weak for any class but the necromancer:
There are many suggestion out here already to address this issue for example by:

1. Adding a 4th cube slot for an additional item of choice
  2. Adding a legendary gem slot in the cube for the gem effect of choice
  3. Adding an option to cube the previous rorg or triune theme on top of the season 20 theme

… or many more!
Most players really hope for a change or buff to make the theme impactful for all classes while maintaining the current unique concept.

Another point is all the issues your raised regarding PTR testing:
We desperately need and update here to get a proper testing environment for all the people who put in hours testing mechanics, finding bugs and sending feedback!
The servers are so bad that you lag in all average sized pulls during the rift and you have to wait in a 20 min queue to even get into a game after lagging out the greater rift as there is still no option to close that very greater rift!

I have one more ISSUE in difference of design philosophy for Hydra damage:

Hydra Skill Damage Item Affix

Manald Heal was “separately activated” to work with Lightning Hydra and the passive Paralysis. The design, back in the days, to support an MH-Hydra archetype hasn’t been followed up with in this Hydra Patch.

• ISSUE: The Hydra% skill damage item affix roll does not scale MH-Hydra instances.
8 Likes

It would be hard to deny the methods used during this testing seemed more thorough than the method that was used internally to test prior to release to ptr. This is something the team should notice. I’m pretty sure in the collaboration of making this feedback form over an hour alone was spent discussing the use of the term pigeon holed. Recommend a community XP buff for non season to make up for the time spent to find the major bugs for all 3 new set build designs. I’ve calculated 5% of the proposed changes above will be implemented. Good job Germans.

+1 great post. i liked

This is positive critism and I like that kind of behavior, so does the devs team. +1.

Great post dude. Not locking the new hydra build behind DW/ES is the main focus this PTR for me.

You sir, have my upvote.

Lets hope they hear and especially: Hope they change something instead of just fixing the doubledipping and let it go live as it is.

Good Job. Removing the cost of Hydra and changing Deathwish. Nice idea. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to try out the new PTR materials bag.

1 Like