Is there a way around age restriction

I made a bnet account for my son, I would like to get him diablo3 so we can coop a little since he wants to play. I’ve turned off everything for parental control but still can’t purchase the game. Am I just out of luck with his account?

1 Like

The Shop purchase is usually controlled by your cookies in your browser which is where the age is set. You don’t tell Blizzard in account set up how old you are :slight_smile: That is handled in the browser when it asks you for your age to view the website.

Clear cookies and cache in your browser or use a new one. That should allow you to log in and purchase it. The other thing that can block purchases is browser security. I had to tone down my malwarebytes web protection to pay a medical bill one day.

You can also purchase it from your own Bnet account and gift it to your son. He can claim the gift from the Bnet launcher.

Other questions that you did not ask!

• What name did you put on the account? Yours or his? Is he old enough to have a Govt issued ID in the event he gets hacked and needs to regain access?
  • If under age, you can put the account in YOUR name and he can play it as long as you are the legal guardian/parent. That ensures that you can access it to set up parental controls, handle any account issues, etc.
  • When he turns 18 you can go to the Account Mgt and switch the first name on the account to his. NO need for Blizz to help with that. Changing last name can also be done, but requires paperwork through CS.
  • Parental controls have nothing to do with playing D3 - you can still set those up to ensure homework gets done or whatever. You can also get play logs and even control chat permissions on a minor’s account.
  • It is fantastic that you set up his own account! It means all progress is his and stays with him, and any penalties are his alone, not yours. Oh, and you can play at the same time which is awesome.

Feel free to ask if you have other questions or are still unable to purchase.

9 Likes

Hey Miss Cheetah, does that mean I can follow this procedure and create an account for my 10-year-old as well? She loves OW and I’d like her to have her own progress. So I just create an account for her, but under my name, and change the first name back once she is 18?

Yes. You would create another Bnet account in your name with a separate email that you control. Set up parental controls too if you wish (recommended). Then buy any paid games you want for that Bnet account.

That ensures whatever games she plays she keeps progress, does not impact your gameplay, and has her own setup for parental controls.

Blizzard does not allow account sharing though (with the exception of the parent setting it up for a minor) so if you have more than one child you would need to set up a Bnet account for each.

Blizzard has lots of free options for her if you wish, like WoW is free up to a point, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, SC2.

2 Likes

Appreciate the info, thank you!

2 Likes

Sorry MissCheetah, just wanted to clarify one more thing. So, when creating my child’s account (using her date-of-birth which shows that she is 10) , do I still use the child account creation process (using the link https://kr.account.battle.net/creation/flow/creation-full) where I receive an email as the parent? Because I’ve read that in situations like that any progress my child makes in games will be lost when she tries to separate the account when she is old enough.

Am I instead supposed to create an account for her using a birth year that will allow here to have her own, separate account?

Edit: Included link

I am only familiar with the process in the Americas region which does not require a birth date. It only requires a name.

In the Americas a parent sets up the account in the name of the parent and when the child turns 18 the parent has the name changed to the child - child is the only one playing the account and they keep everything.

I will try to ask CS for you today. I can only talk to the Americas folks though and I am not sure they know the process for Korea.

2 Likes

Appreciate it, thank you! I’m actually playing from Singapore, so I’m not too sure why I’m being directed to the Korean site.

I am not either. Singapore is part of the Americas region along with most of Southeast Asia. The server for it is in Australia.

Double check the address you are using on your Bnet account. If it is incorrect because you have moved, you need to update that which may mean going through CS. Battle.net Account Country/Region Change - Blizzard Support As long as that, and your IP, are both Singapore you should be able to make an account in the SEA/Americas region. Oh, and if you are using a VPN that makes it look like you are in Korea, that might do it? Not sure. Just try making sure the country and IP match. Make sure you are on the Americas version of the website when making the account.

I did ask someone I know in CS about the Korean rules, but Americas does not have any interaction with them and there is a language barrier.

I will see if I can get any more ideas.

1 Like

Thank you. And the address I have on my account is the Singapore one, and I’m not using a VPN. I really appreciate all the help! :grinning:

I am honestly out of ideas short of talking to Support in your region via ticket. I don’t work for Blizzard and my only contact is my MVP point of contact who is a Forum Support Agent. Awesome, but not an expert in why the website won’t let you make an Americas account for your daughter and keeps forcing you to use the Korea set up.

You should be able to just make one in your name with your information and then set up Parental Controls. That should be all you have to do.

Tickets are via the Support button at the top Right > Contact Support

1 Like

I’ll see what I can do, and contact support if necessary. Thank you for all your help!

2 Likes