Is Tal Rasha really this bad?

I get your point… but honestly, in my opinion our Swiss Army Knife “set”, open for all skills, should be LoN/LoD. That aside, I have one big issue with your suggestion - you still leave the (4) piece and (6) piece stacks unlinked and there is no built-in mobility… including Elemental Exposure directly is fine with me, though. But how about doing this a little different than what you’d normally expect? How about turning Elemental Exposure into an aura with the Tal Rasha set? Maybe like this:

(2) piece bonus:
For 8 seconds after attacking with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lighting you emanate an aura that applies Elemental Exposure of the respective element to all enemies within 20 yards. While on four stacks, switching between different elemental attacks extends the duration of the elemental aura by 2 seconds. Doubles the damage bonus of Elemental Exposure stacks.
(4) piece bonus:
The elemental aura increases your Movement Speed by XX% and reduces all damage taken by YY%. Allies inside the aura gain half benefit.
(6) piece bonus:
The elemental aura increases your damage dealt by 7500% per stack and your pickup radius increases the area of effect.

What are the candidates for Skill?

1. Frozen Orb
    This is currently taken by DMO. I dont like using this skill for Tal Rasha or we might end up like monk’s SWK outcompeting PoJ for Tempest Rush.

2. Explosive Blast
    This used to be a TR build long time ago. Current Items can boost EB damage by x5 (Woh), x4 (WoH additional blasts) and x1.4 (OoID). But the Skill is short range and Cooldown dependent it hurts. Maybe redo OoID to reduce EB cooldown by 50%?

3. Meteor
    Currently we have a Boots that boost damage by 900%. Unfortunately, that is all there is to it: No Orb, no Weapon to support Meteor.

4. Other skills
    Lightning: Blizz killed Manald Heal, this is no longer viable, and too OP for just a single item.
    Electrocute: not viable
    Wave of Force: No support items
    Signature Skill?

Actually there is the Grand Vizier +400% to Meteor.

2 Likes

Well, albeit currently negligible, there’s actually even a second - Smoldering Core.

I would suggest to grant that pointless staff some kind of Mang Song treatment:

Smoldering Core [legendary 2H-Staff] [Wizard only]

• +Min/Max damage
  • [?] skills deal XX-YY% more damage [one of Arcane, Fire, Cold, Lightning]
  • +25-30 to Maximum Arcane Power
  • Empty Sockets (2-3)
  • +2 random primary powers
  • Legendary Power:
    Meteor gains the Meteor Shower and Molten Impact rune effects but has no cooldown. Casting Meteor creates a Black Hole.
  • Legendary Power:
    Gain the Astral Presense passive and deal additional (area) damage based on your Maximum Arcane Power. [this effect cannot be extracted]

Did not know that exists! Thanks for the info!

In my opinion most classes should have a SAK 6p set with LoN/LoD being a tankier alternative. Take DH for instance which has Nats or Barb which has IK.

I get what you’re trying to do here, which is linking all 3 set bonuses into a single buff. This has its own elegance to it. I’m just not sure I like the conception of Tals as emanating an aura. It seems rather unthematic to me. Also if the 6p is meant to only affect mobs within the aura, it would be limiting long ranged builds.

I reiterate my point that mobility buffs should go on supporting legendaries rather than sets. The issue is that once these buffs start going on sets, you’d have to implement it on ALL sets for balance sake, a developmental nightmare. It’d be much easier to put the buff on a legendary and be done.

Also this brings up another point of mine, which is that sets should be designed with form as well as function in mind. Putting mobility buffs on sets like firebirds for function’s sake shouldn’t detract from the form of the set which has no inherent notion of mobility.

Yeah, it is unfair DH got GoD, Monk got PoJ but others had to rely on legendary for speed ups.

Firebird has mobility built into the set, which is great.

1 Like

you can do energy twister with tal’s, yields higher dps than orbs

Sure, but if you’'re going by that logic you should use Firebird instead. Since FB allows free Teleport without Aetherwalker. That means you can use all four ET items (TwistedSword, Valthek, Sigil and Ranslor)… if you worry about Arcane Power, slot Hergbrash and be done with it. See, FB offers 5K%, Tals 8K%… so it’s lower, but being able to use Valthek instead of AW offers a x5 multiplier, so it’s more powerful. Not to mention Tal has crap defense power compared to FB.

I’m just saying there is an alternative to that crappy arcane orb when playing tal rasha

Gotcha, but these days playing Tal Rasha is pointless, unless you do it for the season journey set dungeon achievement, Even LoD outmatches Tal Rasha, the set needs a do-over.