Is my Meteor Speed build bad or is it me?

OK so I am mainly playing Necro this season and that is the class I will properly push with but since Tal Rasha is so insane I made one for some XP farming.

I am currently on 1 266 and my gear is in that not trash but not great level, missing 5 augments and have a bad CoE but the rest is not bad, and very lucky with my Nilfur’s and Squirt’s. The profile page is weird and only showing 10k int but I have about 15k.

But I am only able to do up to 110 when going for 3 minutes or less on average.

Is that just what happens at the paragon and gear level? Or am I doing something real bad in the way I play? Or is the real power of the build only a bit later with better gear and proper follower?

Then possibly the biggest question. I am using the In-Geom version which works great for lower levels but is that one just way weaker than the regular Vizier one and that is what I need to change to get to those sweet levels I keep hearing about?

I am not expecting to just do 3 minute 130’s now but it feels like the bit of an increase between more gear and a couple hundred paragon won’t get me from 110 to 120+ and that it must be something wrong with either my build or play.

Would be great if someone could help me with this. I will give you a cuddly digital hug.

One reason you’re a little slower is because the cooldown reduction on your In-Geom is only 8 seconds. That thing can go up to 10, which is hugely significant when you’re using it with a teleport that otherwise has an 11-second cooldown. Then you would use either an Amethyst or Topaz in your helmet because you wouldn’t need the Diamond.

You have +Area Damage on your weapon, gloves, and shoulders. The meteor setup you’re using doesn’t really work with area damage for two reasons. One, most of your meteors are triggered from your Teleport and Frost Armor as part of the Tal set bonus. I think those set-triggered meteors literally do not do area damage. Two, assuming (1) is wrong, you’re supposed to move so fast that you don’t really group enemies together anyway. You teleport into them, and then go teleport into something else. A significant chunk of your kills happen offscreen, even. So those Area Damage stats could all be something more useful.

Because a lot of your kills happen far away, you might get more use out of the Power Hungry passive ability. Probably replacing Unstable Anomaly in the long run as you get better at playing(or put an Amethyst in your helm), but maybe replacing Elemental Exposure in the short term.

And lastly, yeah, raw stats. Ancient + Augments. You have a ring and an amulet that could be augmented now, and you can craft new shoulders/bracers whenever you want. That’s like 2500 free INT right there.

I use following setup for 134 GRifts in around 3 minutes. With the right map/pylons around 2:30

Gear is ok but not great. Squirts does not want to roll with ele damage this season :pensive:

https://maxroll.gg/d3/d3planner/338692332

You could swap black hole with diamond skin to protect your squirts and if you have problems with resources use rune prism.

I think you should be able to start with 120+

Will reply on the rest soon but I have no idea why I haven’t augmented that amulet yet. I know it started with only having 118ish Whispers and not wanting to augment it with less than a 125 but I did get some in the meantime. Thanks for pointing that out.

Lord. I was playing with rune prism the whole time and don’t know how I selected that pointless rune after playing around with stuff for a bit, did a good 30ish GR’s with it. Thanks for pointing it out, would have gone on for a long time with the wrong rune.

Yeah if you can’t get your Aether Walker/In-Geom times down under 2 minutes for GR110 or so, you should just do 3 minute runs on 125-135 (the optimal tier will vary depending on your gear, paragon etc.) with double staff.

With the altar this season your times generally aren’t too bad with double staff. You’ll get Empowered Shrine (more teleports for those longer runs between packs) or Fleeting Shrine reasonably often which will speed up your runs a bit.

I run a pretty similar build for speed 130-140. Only real difference is I use Teleport: Wormhole instead of Teleport: Calamity. You’d just have to swap Absolute Zero to Spellsteal (or any other arcane skill for the arcane stack).

1 Like

Did you rob shens hidden chest? Those rings and squirts :smiling_face_with_tear:

The CoE was a random drop. That’s actually my second primal trifecta CoE this season (first is attack speed/crit/crit/socket).

Karini is primalized, I spent most of my ashes rolling Karinis. I was hoping for area damage, but I used almost all my ashes and that one is good enough.

Squirt’s was reforged. I’ve spent a good chunk of my bounty mats reforging Squirt’s. I did about 300 reforges on Squirt’s, that one came out really nice. I actually got a ton of trifecta cold Squirt’s, I have a couple more saved for my DH and monk, and I salvaged a few more after that. I was trying for an arcane Squirt’s for LoD, and I got 9 trifecta cold Squirt’s before I got a trifecta arcane. Then I tried LoD Star Pact, didn’t like it, and ended up running LoD Comet anyway :person_facepalming:

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice everyone, appreciate it. I really want to get proper season 28 like XP farming levels.

I only checked the cooldown the other day since I just used it from the beginning when I was starting it out (got it on my necro so that was nice) and at first I thought the 8 seconds won’t make a big difference but with those small margins it makes sense.

And I would like to replace the gem, I run out of resources on the wrong maps at times (probably also because of the awful Diamond Skin rune I played with for a bit). Will need to get a better In-Geom then.

Thanks, I was thinking area damage isn’t really necessary for this but decided to keep it on because some guide had it on but I am glad to hear my suspicion was correct.

I played with Power Hungry in place of Unstable Anomaly for a bit but I felt like I was lacking just a little bit of damage since some enemies would survive the initial volley of auto-cast meteors. Which is also why I would like to replace that area damage, just need a few extra percent of damage to fly through the rift (and the In-Geom of course).

I was a bit lazy with the last augments, didn’t feel like doing an EN last time I played. Unfortunately I will need to do some bounties for the Aughild’s since I used all my mats to try and improve those two.

I actually did get an ancient bracer, went to enchant it to get rid of some crap stat it had and accidentally clicked on the wrong one so just salvaged it.

Thanks, always good to see a setup. So would you say it is better to use that setup over the In-Geom one if I want to get to the 130’s range? I need a proper Vizier as well so have been gambling for it.

This setup has to have the Karini as well right? I would need to get some cold bracers as well since I can get past that with the SoJ for now. Was thinking it would work without a Karini for around the level I am farming at now. I have found two Karini’s and both were trash, might just primal it if it keeps being hard to get it.

Sure.

Do not waste your shards for weapons.
Upgrade yellow staffs. You can get The Smoldering Core or The Grand Vizier.
Wear the best and select the other as cube power.

Would be better to survive and to maintain squirts.

Not mandatory but a nice damage boost. But you can craft a lot bracers after one bounty run. You should get one quickly.

Wear Ring of Royal Grandeur and use Karini as cube power until you get a good one.

2 Likes

OK changed the few things I could, rolled of area damage and augmented the rest, changed passives and with getting a bit more used to the build and now I am doing 115’s in a tad over 3 minutes. Kind of crazy what that and like 100 extra paragon (if that) did.

Did a whole bounty run’s worth of crafting for them and the shoulders, only got an upgrade to shoulders and it isn’t great. Got a primal pair of bracers and was real excited because the rolls were great then I noticed there was no int. So off to do it again.

100 Paragon are just 500 int.
If i load your profile into d3planner and remove 100 paragon it is a damage loss of just 2,6% (got your old build but the number should not be way off.)
With more augments and paragon this number will be even smaller. For my wiz it is just a 2% difference 24394 int to 24894 int.

You need 17% more damage for 1 GR level

Yeah I wasn’t thinking that the paragon made a difference, percentage wise compared to the total it isn’t much.

I might have gone up to 113 and not 115, was a bit tired this morning when I wrote that. I only did a handful of 115’s and they might just have been really nice maps. Will have to check when I play again.