Is it okay to use the steam controller to play D3?

This will be a double post since no one in general had an answer for this.
My orders finally got shipped and I’ve been wanting to try out the steam controller for Diablo for awhile since I don’t own any consoles. Is it okay to emulate mouse movements with the steam controller?

I don’t want to randomly trigger bot detection algorithms or however you guys look for botters. So I’m trying to get confirmation that its fine to play Diablo with the steam controller.

Blizzard is never going to tell you what they can, or can’t detect. Nor do they ever give the OK for third party software.

What they have said in the past is that controllers with the PC game are not supported. You are free to try to use them, and use the mapping software that comes with them, but it is up to you to figure out how to do it within the rules.

The rules are that one keypress = one in-game action per game instance.

Mapping X to = skill 1
Mapping Y to = skill 2
Mapping z to = skill 3
Etc.

Is fine.

Mapping X to = skill 1 & 2

Not ok. You are automating the button presses. Same goes for adding delays.

As long as the controller buttons still perform the same way as the normal keyboard buttons and don’t automate gameplay, you avoid issues, as a general rule.

Again though, Blizz does not support controllers on PC so if anything goes wrong it is on you.

The WILL provide some sort of controller support for D4 though if I read right.

Edit - and I was AFK or I would have answered you in General.

Not a big deal.

I don’t plan to automate anything. It’s more of an experiment to see what the controller is capable of. I’m also planning to try out some FPS games to see how the gyro assist aim is while using the right track pad as a virtual ball mouse.

I’m super hyped to finally get a chance to fool around with new hardware.

1 Like