Is it just me... Scythe Drop Rate

Or does the drop rate of scythes suck for necros? Made on both NA and Asia and seriously… only swords and axes dropping for me. Well at least legendary wise. Rare and Magic scythes drop like candy.

Most useful items have lower drop rate. Same for Dawn for DH.

1 Like

Since you are getting rare scythes, you could just upgrade them in the cube.

But I get all kinds of one handers drop for me, then Dawn eventually drops. I mean very few Scythes(with the exception of Jesseth’s (x4 already)) drop. Neither one or two handed. It is more equivalent to mostly daggers and one handed swords or maces dropping and every now and then a bow of any type drops. Which of course does not happen on Demon Hunters.

Got a nice Dawn on my Monk this season. Saved it for my DH which I used to complete Years of War.

2 Likes

Legendary scythes, like any class-specific weapon, are best obtained in the cube. There aren’t a lot of legendary scythes and they have the advantage of being further narrowed by 1H and 2H versions, so your chances of getting the one you want by upgrading lv 70 yellow rares in the cube are good.

Have the blacksmith craft five 1H scythes and five 2H scythes, go upgrade them in the cube, and you’ve likely got them all.

RNGeezus was not with me at the start of this season. My first 10 upgrades got me 2 Trag Oul Fangs (one ancient) and 8 Funerary Picks. It took almost 30 upgrades to get my first Scythe of the Cycle! I did get a beautiful Primal SotC eventually so…

1 Like

Yes, I do realize that upgrading rares is the way around this… but it shouldn’t be. Really, scythes are the weapon for necros just like bows are for dHs. So I just think someone at Blizzard should rethink the drop rate for scythes. It really is silly that they did this in the first place. Seems it’s not just me then.

Actually upgrading rares (3rd cube recipe) is op for necro since the pool contains very few scythes. Talking about one-handed scythes… Only one of them is garbage - the funerary pick. The other are always used in some build. So 3/4 are useful. If you are looking for a specific scythe then 1/4 is still a very high chance. Way higher than in most cases with other classes.

3 Likes

I have wanted to find out if the Scythe of the Cycle has a low drop rate compared to the others? I seem to get it a lot less, which is obviously less than ideal for a bonespear build. I do know it could be some confirmation bias since I don’t have any need for the others but in the beginning of the season I really struggled to get them.

Had some crap luck with it compared to the weapons for previous two seasons. Spent ages without getting an ancient one and even now still only got an OK one. But that gives more motivation to keep grinding so its all good.

Among the 4 1h schythes, I suspect the drop rate is equal for them all, but it would need the data run and I’m not sure if anyones done that over a large sample set.

We can all get quite a variety of results over small sample sets. If you’ve got surplus mats try doing batches of 10 rare upgrades and see how what you get can vary from batch to batch.

Just recently I was doing cow sticks on the monk. Same story, 1 of 4 in the pool. None in the first batch, 2 in the next batch. I accumulated quite a few of them over time when I wasn’t paying attention though so am wondering if they’re an even 1 in 4 chance. Time will tell as I do some more of these batches.

Yeah you are right, and unless you spend a ton of time taking not of which ones drop or get crafted it will be useless. Even then, I don’t know that one person can even create a meaningful sample size.

According to D3 planner all the 1 handed scythes have the same chance to drop from Kadala.

True. I noticed that with the d3P:Kadala too… there are other items that appear to be not uniform chances, like resist amulets.

Uncertain what the methodology was for sourcing those numbers or if new item data has had the numbers run. It’s a helpful guide alongside our own observations.

There’s that watched kettle element with these things too.

1 Like

Drop rates, are a real issue, but I can help you answer this. The drop rates are subject to change and they are a part of all the item sets in this version of Diablo. In the case of this situation, other player characters can find item drops from the expansion character types. On the positive side this means that across all platforms, there are rare item drops worth hanging onto or you might lose a toe.

The exploration of diablo reveals location, as a proximity to other players. The ‘light radius’, and ‘magic find’, are not the same as ‘loot drop’. Magic find, is not effected by other players, where loot drop definitely is.

I had a ridiculous difficult time getting a useful amulet. And its not even ancient. However, I did get a Primal Lost Time (it was the first time drop - didn’t have a normal Legendary or Ancient before it) so that was pretty nice. I won’t tell you how many bounties I had to do for a Ring of Royal Grandeur this season – probably 100 or more.

Yeh the drop rate of good items with good rolls has been pretty bad for me this season as well.