Is Firebird's the worst class set in the game?

Well, you get two cheat death but the push build didn’t play unstable anomaly iirc, which is why I say that.

Popping in just to say that I hate Firebird the most out of all the sets by a fair margin. It’s such an annoying set to play and requires you to jump through hoops to keep the bonuses active… and then you’re screwed when you go to a new floor and they reset.

The reverse was also true. Before they reworked UA, there was a time when the FB cheat death was actually better than UA. Just with a much longer cooldown (used to be 5 minutes).

Season 3 in particular, the push build was Tal’s. you saw a bunch of HC wizards running 2p Firebird’s along with Tal’s just to get the FB cheat death, which was actually way more reliable than UA at the time.

It wasn’t until they reworked UA in 2.3.0 (for the start of season 4) that it became better than the FIrebird’s revive.

EDIT: Here’s the rank 1 NA HC solo wizard clear from S3:

Notice the double proc shortly into the RG fight. The FB revive goes off instantly after UA since UA didn’t give a shield of any sort at the time. With the current iteration it’s still possible to chew through the UA shield (lost a couple HC wizards this way), but it’s way better than it was before.

Dude had balls of steel playing through a double-proc vs. Hamelin.

For me, the problem is just the 6p effect and the fix is really simple:

1. Removing the loss of stacks when enemies dies (same max of 20 stacks).
  2. Removing the free 20 stacks effect from igniting elites (redundant now).
  3. Doubling damage bonus per stack (from +200% to +400% per stack; keep damage reduction the same +3% per stack).

Now, for gameplay/theme sake, the bonus should be scale to 30 stacks max accordingly, for example: 30 stacks max, +300% damage per stack, +2% damage reduction per stack (or some other combination).

Well, how would that work in detail? Does that mean stacks will last forever after enemies die? At least this is what it boils down to, if I think about what you wrote there.Or will they be kept for a certain duration before they fall of with igniting a new enemy refreshing the duration?

Either way I see potential issues with both. Please elaborate your idea a little more.

My proposition for Firebird if the burning ignite effect is to be kept:

2 piece effect:
• When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.

4 piece effect:
• Dealing Fire damage with one of your skills causes the enemies to take 1500% weapon damage as Fire per second for 3 seconds. This effect can repeat an additional time. If an enemy is attacked with a Fire skill while burning, the enemy will become ignite, taking 3000% weapon damage per second until they die.

6 piece effect:
• Attacking with a Fire skill reduces the amount of damage you take by 60% for 6 seconds. Igniting an enemy or attacking an ignited enemy with a Fire skill increases your Fire damage by XXXX% for 6 seconds.

1 Like

title is an opinion and subjective. I haven’t used all the classes extensively, but to me any set that attempts to confine you to specific skills, to the exclusion of any others, is the worst set. At least Firebird’s works with any fire based skill. most sets strangle you into using very specific skills to get any kind of bonus.

not saying I completely disagree - I’m also fond of more liberties when it comes to how I want to play the game. A set is essentially nothing more than a means to deal damage. As long as you are not forced to play it and have other options, it is fine, even if the set is dedicated to certain skills. There’s always LoN/LoD if you dislike it.

It’s not the restrictions that make a set bad. The key requirement for a good set is that it needs to feel fun playing with it. That means, the mechanics should be fun instead of annoying. Not to mention you should be able to participate in and contribute to parties if you use it - unless you want to play solo, that is.

It’s fine to limit a set to a certain skill oder a group of skills, if it makes them worthwhile and the gameplay is both enjoyable and rewarding - and Firebird clearly isn’t.

That’s the next issue with D3 I have. They made the game so focused on sets they had to create a set so you could get a non-set build that is more customized close to the same amount of damage and damage reduction. Sounds kinda silly, doesn’t it? it wouldn’t have bothered me if they didn’t give sets such a huge damage bonus you’re practically gimping yourself by not using one of them.

Which means if you really want to get anywhere in the game, you’re limited to what sets you want to use. This is even to the point that they had to give players a set in seasons as part of the season’s journey.

It wouldn’t have made a difference to me if they made it so sets altered a specific set of skills in a gameplay altering fashion instead of just grossly boosting damage by huge multipliers and damage resistance. Something feels wrong if I am forced to wear a set so my otherwise non-set build can ‘be almost viable’ in terms of damage compared to sets that are using skill combinations I do not find fun.

I’d have to add to this: “So long as the damage is on par with other non-set builds that are well planned.” as it is in D3, you have to wear sets for the huge damage bonuses or you’re stuck at a much lower torment. In a game that, through patches, is no designed around sets, it ‘feels bad man’.

Just what I say, no more no less:

Removing the loss of stacks when enemies dies (same max of 20 stacks): last forever after enemies dies; the only way to lose the stacks should be by dying (the 2p bonus should help the wiz to keep the stacks by avoiding death).
Potential issues: maybe a very low start, that would be fixed by less stack max but more damage per stack, but I think the whole point of this set for gameplay’s sake is the stacking theme, that’s why I say the stack max should be higher.

Removing the free 20 stacks effect from igniting elites: tbh this thing just exist for saving this set from his own problems, in order to avoid a wiz to fight elites with zero stacks. Now, if wizards can get some stacks and keep them by actually killing things, then can do ‘something’ against elites.
I don’t believe that not killing things was a good mechanic in a game like this. In this way wiz should not be force to make elites to follow him all over the way (you may simply escape or make them follow you just a little while killing some other enemies to get enough stacks to take them out).

No Inarius is. It doesnt even get 50% Damage Reduction. Beat that.

Actually Inarius does give 50% damage reduction. Bone Armor normally gives 3% per stack, Inarius increases this to 5%. At 10 stacks that’s 50% damage reduction. Throw in Wisdom of Kalan and you’ll get 5 more stacks with total of 75% damage reduction.

2 Likes

Inarius is still good for low-level farming at least because you still get 10k damage boost. Firebird wasn’t even good at farming for other gears because you can’t keep those 4000% damage boost in consistent manner.

I was interested and seemed to have necroed it… probably should have replied on this thread. I shouldn’t be on forums past midnight.

It’s no problem imo, especially considering Firebird still hasn’t received any attention thus far. Our best bet would most likely be after DHs and Necros get their new sets. Hopefully we won’t be disappointed.

nah, it is fine, especially since this topic is still relevant to this day and even more so because it still is the worst set out there (mechanically wise)…

I’ll respond to your other post later.

oh, that would be great! A set and skill revamp after all the new sets have been out. yeah, I would like that!

Winner, winner. Firebirds was only good in higher GR’s where you didn’t insta kill everything so you could actually keep an elite ignited at all times and drag it through the map without killing it.

The rework should be very simple: add the Phoenix Form.
For every 20 fire skills used, the Arcanist will transform into a Phoenix with 2, 3 or 4 new skills, depending on how many items the player has equipped (similar to archon). And with an exponential increase in fire skills when he is untransformed.

But too squishy…In a sense though Pestilence is the same it s highly technical yet doesnt get much damage…

Actually, Firebird DEF is even worse than Inarius. At least you can retain your defense bonus through Bone Armor for a long duration while for Firebird, no enemy is ignited, zero defense bonus.

(2) Set:
When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.
(4) Set:
Dealing Fire damage with one of your skills causes the enemy to take 1000% weapon damage as Fire per second for 3 seconds. This effect can be repeated a second and third time by different skills. If an enemy is burning due to three different skills simultaneously the enemy will Ignite, taking 3000% weapon damage per second until they die.
(6) Set:
Your damage is increased by 200% and damage taken reduced by 3% for each enemy that is Ignited. This effect can stack up to 20 times. You always receive the maximum bonus whenever a nearby Elite monster is Ignited.