Is D3 the unique ""rpg"" where spells/unarmed attacks needs a big and sharp axe?

Bro you just posted a video of necromancer cheese killing ancients with no gear. Do that with any other class. You can maybe do that with assassin and druid. Try with a barbarian. You just look ridiculous when you point to that as some sort of gold standard.

2 Likes

And what is the problem??

If the unique class for D2 was Barbarian, the game would have literally ZERO class imbalance. Or if you make all classesj ust barb reskins. But would make the game better? Obviously not. Balance is not everything.

A FPS with a single weapon model is also perfectly balanced and 100% boring.

Completely wrong. Casters on Diablo 1 depends a lot on the loot. Finding magical tomes is extremely important.

And if you look into CRPG’s, you need to find spell scrolls and playing in core rules can never be sure to learn the scrolls. Note : If you have the max INT possible and is a specialized mage, you can learn the spells from your specialization with 100% success rate.

Barbarians are the unique that can’t do that.

A Warrior can beat D1 without reading a single magical tome. Is this a problem?

I had a zweihander. Still was on my underpants though

In Demon’s Souls I could have gone for a pugilist build using hands of god, those are fun

Balance is not everything, rihgt, but it also is not unimportant.

I am not asking for 100% balance, just reasonable balance.

2 Likes

It’s trolling, plain and simple.

It follows his cycle of barfing out some controversy-laden thread, hoping some random forum irregulars bite, he proceeds through a routine laundry list of vapid, inane rebuttals, disappears for a week or two, and repeats. Sometimes the regulars get sick of it and rip him another one.

The problem is his last thread pretty much gained no traction. Call it bad timing, people being wise to garbage, or whatever.

Everyone should expect the following if it hasn’t happened already:

• Complains about weapon damage (aka the big, sharp axe)
  • Claims D3 is not an RPG
  • Asserts he is a Diablo fan
  • Whines about D3’s graphics being too cartoony
  • Admits to not playing D3 much, if at all
  • Gripes about Cooldowns and their validity as balancing mechanisms
  • Sees no problems with players having access to dozens, if not hundreds of skills at once
  • Regales us with his perception of what Necromancers are
  • Glorifies “naked runs” and other glaring game imbalances in D2 and elsewhere
  • Pitches flawed ideas and doubles down on them when called out
  • Cherrypicks aspects of realism to apply to fantastical settings no matter how terrible they’d make the game
  • Craps on JRPGs and may even try to claim they’re not RPGs at all
  • Refutes what the video games industry has defined as RPGs for decades
  • Devs must adhere to his perception of fantasy tropes
  • Talks about Vampire the Masquerade as if we care
  • Makes random D&D references as if we care about those, too
  • Claims a game’s worth is how much it’s streamed
  • Refuses to acknowledge the infallibility of internet reviews
  • Plays the PC Master Race card often in conjunction with crapping on console gamers
  • Tells us to ignore him as if that would make him go away
  • Bumps the thread himself after 3+ days of inactivity

To any mod that is potentially brought to this post by flagging or whatever, I implore you to be mindful of what Kilometer pointed out (as my reply to) and to sincerely investigate the OPs history of created threads. I don’t expect you to read them all in their entirety to find the commonalities I outlined above, but the all too frequent constant is that he complains, and quite often irrationally. On its own, that might not be breaking the rules, but when it comes to supporting the spirit of a healthy internet community, he has not, nor has he ever, contributed to that end. He’s also confessed to deliberately trolling in the past on the old forum in a post he made on 8/24/18 should you have access to that old DB.

5 Likes

Not really, because the Warrior is the weakest at spells and Diablo 1 is much more about manual/auto attacks than its sequels. In fact, it’s really the only way for the Warrior to deal damage.

But if the Warrior could more reasonably beat the game using ONLY spells - then that would be a problem.

Makes sense that a wand could sharpen your concentration and direction of particular spell. I’m never seen a wizard using an axe.

No it doesn’t. You only think that because it’s traditional in games that spell casters use wands. That tradition doesn’t actually make any more sense than anything else.

Frankly, it doesn’t make sense that wands are considered “weapons.” What’s a weapon for, really? Dictionary: “a thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.” Are wands used for that? No. But you’re not questioning their classification as a weapon, are you?

1 Like

In the right hands, are wands not capable of doing this?

In the right hands a newspaper is capable of it. So what?

1 Like

Now we’re getting somewhere. Anything equipped in a character’s weapon slot(s) to inflict bodily harm or damage - axe, sword, wand or newspaper - is de facto a weapon. So it makes perfect sense for wands to be considered weapons.

I guess for the western fanbase, spellcasters should only get benefitted from the staff or wand…Nothing else.

Meanwhile, for Asia, or rather Japan fiction, we have Mage Knight/Magic Knight/Royal Knight that using a sword as their primary weapon and at the same time still able to cast a powerful spell with the sword in the medieval setting.

As for the modern setting, the mage was taught to do hand-to-hand combat, sword mastery, and replace their robe with a tuxedo, staff with gun/rifle, and the magic strength that they cast heavily depends on how good is their gun/rifle quality and strength.

Some of the stories even have mage to lift the heavy weapon easily with their small/average physique by enhancing their body with mana and literally made them a superhuman.

In many Chinese wuxia that involves magic and god, divine weapons play a great deal for the character power as well. A skill/spell without a weapon will be weaker than the skill/spell that used together with weapons and etc. The main character with a better weapon in the Wuxia tends to beat the stronger enemies that using weaker weapons than the MC.

Here is one of the examples for the game where weapon increases the str and mag for the non-mage character:

https://i.imgur.com/YTxeHnF.png

2 Likes

Battle mages should definitely be a thing.

To be fair, that item directly has both a “physical” dmg stat and a magic dmg stat, so very different from D3 weapons. Having both could be a good solution to this, uh, immersion problem. Now I dont really care about immersion, I care about gameplay. Having two stats would be good for gameplay imo, by making different builds desire different items. A battle mage might want different weapons than a pure caster mage.

1 Like

No it doesn’t - because wand users never actually use them for that purpose. Even when you “attack” with a wand it fires a bolt of magic or something.

1 Like

In Diablo 3, your wand fires a bolt of magic. In Diablo 2 on the other hand, you would literally hit the monster with the staff or wand you’re equipped with when you attack with.

1 Like

The topic maker just wanted to shout that he doesn’t like the system where the basic source off all kind of damage is weapon damage. You got plenty of explenations for this thing but for me that’s nonsense. You got „big sharp axe” which causes 1000 dmg and small wooden wand which causes 800 dmg. Sure that wand adds point to inteligence or mana or gives other bonuses for casters. BUT ! If meele char would wield that wand it would make comparable damage to these made with axe. That is nonsense.

This is the time poeple should get know why diablo 2 fans are pissed off and still trolling. They waited for sequel of their beloved game for years. They went to shop at 12.00 at night and after checking content they felt like someone spit in their face. Now they try to do something to avoid such big mistake as diablo 3 was (it has nothing to do with diablo 2 besides storyline). I know younger people which after first contact with diablo 3 (never played any diablo before) started to play diablo 2. This is bright side of diablo 3.

Give diablo 2 fans somehing as halfly or thirdly playable as d2 and they will be fine

Yeah, the issue some of us have with the topic maker is that this is literally the 20th time (or more) that he’s shouted that “he doesn’t like the system.”

It’s getting overdone to the point where even if you agree with that you still don’t want to hear it anymore.

That is a slightly different complain (or a subset of it) than what OP seems to complain about.
His issue mostly seems to be that using a weapon has a significant impact on your spell damage at all. No matter if it is an axe or a wand.

I can only agree that it would be way more interesting if different types of weapons, or different weapon affixes (not necessarily weapon dmg), affected different skills in different ways.
That is a quite different argument than saying some skills should be less (or not at all) affected by weapons however.

2 Likes

Diablo 3’s weapon damage system was the dumbest idea ever. Why should my Fireball damage be based on how heavy and sharp my axe is?

Do the right thing this time. Have magical attacks be based on spell power, which you get a large chunk of from caster weapons like wands or staves.

I worry about this “Attack” stat on weapons.

Damn, this is quite honestly the best way someone could describe L0rdV1ct0r posting history.

I was quite flabbergasted when I opened the forum today, after being away for a while, and seeing yet again the very same tired discussion and arguments from this dude. Just look at the amount of cherry picking in the OP to try and look like he have a point.

2 Likes