Is D3 the unique ""rpg"" where spells/unarmed attacks needs a big and sharp axe?

Still, the bigger issue is that you created yet another thread. Why can’t you use one of existing 57 trillion threads you’ve previously created? Flooding the forum with multiple threads does not add any more weight to your point.

3 Likes

I rather see wands boosting casting speed and increasing skill level.

Long story short, you want to play D2, where the weapon that will carry you all the way through Hell is available upon starting the game. Anything additional is gravy.

Gotcha.

3 Likes

The +x to Skills affix can work and it can be better balanced when the max skill level gets increased, which means that +1 to skills become less significant than in D2.

E.g. if the max skill level is 100, then +1 to that skill on top of that is less efficient than +1 to all skills in D2.

Imagine that the skill level scales to your character level, so when you are level 80, then your skill is also level 80, and then adding +6 to all skills will raise that skill level to 86.

And points would be spend into a Last Epoch- or Wolcen-like Skill System.

That is how I imagine it can be balanced well.

1 Like

Yep. But a form which makes way more sense with the class fantasy. Tomes will make casters more loot dependent and be a good thing to be back; i have heard that tomes will be back on d4 but i an not sure

:> One thread per 2 months
:> Flooding

Chose one

Wrong, like D2 where i can solo naked the game

The problem with + skill level is that is TOO POWERFUL and should be a hard cap or a softcap with diminishing returns. Or it only on main weapons and full set.

this sounds good for me, also I thought maybe if skills will gain exp when you use them, so if you like grinding you can keep leveling them up. e.g. getting skill to lvl 20 will take 100 hours, but getting it to lvl 30 will take 1000 hours. In this system items can have +1 to skill, you can replace them for other affixes if you grind enough skills yourself

It doesn’t matter how sparsely you create threads. The fact that you create multiple threads on the very same subject is the problem. That’s the definition of flooding the forum with threads.

If you create a thread on some subject, there is absolutely zero excuse to create another on the subject in the future. If you want to keep discussion on the subject alive, bump your existing thread up!

It depends, as I explained in my previous post.

Quote:

"If the max skill level is 100, then +1 to that skill on top of that is less efficient than +1 to all skills in D2.

Imagine that the skill level scales to your character level, so when you are level 80, then your skill is also level 80, and then adding +6 to all skills will raise that skill level to 86.

And points would be spend into a Last Epoch- or Wolcen-like Skill System."

You mean like in The Elder Scrolls games?
Sure, can work as well, but it boils down to personal preference wther you like it or not to spend 1000’s of hours with improving a skill. I personally would not like that to be honest.

Easy. Dont add any classes to the game that do not use weapons then.
If there is a monk or whatever, you make sure they at minimum use knuckles etc. (and of course, has the ability to use other weapons too, because why wouldn’t they)

Wrong. If your definition was right, i would have been banned for “flooding” many years ago.

Why? It literally is creating more playstyles and allowing more freedom to the player. What is the problem of different classes gearing in different ways?

In D2, melee classes were over-reliant on a good weapon, while casters were not and could do fairly well with “bad” or mediocre gear/weapons.

It creates an imbalance.

I would be okay with a Monk specializing in unarmed combat, maybe with a Passive Talent that costs like several Talent Points to unlock.

e.g. you have your normal Talents that maybe has a maximum of 5 or 10 points you gradually can spend into them (e.g. to increase fire damage or crit chance by 2% per point), and you also can have something like “Keystone Talents” that create large changes in gameplay and mechanics, that costs several Talent Points at once to unlock…

https://imgur.com/OGsyXRA

… like a Monk spending e.g. 6 Talent Points into a Keystone Talent called “Unarmed Fighting” for example, that gives him +xxx-yyy flat physical damage, attack speed, crit chance, dodge chance, etc, when he is wearing no weapons (and also no shield).

But I do not want to have a too huge discrepany between melee classes and casters like in D2, where melees were too reliant on a good weapon and casters not.

A 50/50 split for the total damage of a skill between innate flat damage on the skill itself and weapon damage is desirable imo, regardless of the skill being a spell or a physical melee/ranged attack.

https://imgur.com/wwJ0Yfk
https://imgur.com/LPsqzsw

2 Likes

In a CRPG with a group of characters, there is no problem. Since the chars are not competing with each other on balance. Group compositions are competing with each other instead.
In a single-character, entirely combat-focused A-RPG? It matters because characters should be balanced against each other.
It matters because A-RPGs are very much about item hunting, and that item hunt should have similar value to all characters, otherwise you kinda rip out part of the game for some builds, which would be a shame.

Now, could you make a class that instead of having 2 weapon slots, had 2 additional ring slots or whatever? And those two rings had the same power potential as other classes weapons did. Sure, in theory. And then it would be fine. The gear dependency and gear value would be preserved. It is not the weapons themselves that really matter here (heck, you could remove the weapon slots entirely from an A-RPG, and it would not necessarily change anything at all).
It would just be more challenging to balance weapons and whatever two item slots the unarmed character used. Much easier to just make them use weapons instead.

Not that game balance has to be made easy. But considering how difficult it is to balance a game, there is also no need to make it endlessly harder.

Blizzard is kinda doing this with barbs Arsenal system, and it is the same with giving each class different resource systems. It is always a fight between making things as different as possible, which is a good goal to have, but without the differences hurting balance too much.
It would be the easiest thing ever to balance a game by making everything the same. Which would be sad. So I get the desire for making classes feel different and use different weapons. It just feels like an unnecessary complication compared to what is gained. Not like it changes gameplay in any meaningful way - which should be the goal when you make something different.

3 Likes

Irrelevant, one thread for one subject is more than enough. There’s absolutely zero need to create multiple threads on one subject, no matter how time has passed between them.

You just lucky that no one flagging you enough for spamming.

I missed the old report feature that allow you to describe your reason and why is that reported thread deserved to be removed.

2 Likes

In fantasy (mostly in japanese fantasy but in western too) magic weapons are a thing.

Sure, but then the magic weapon is increasing the power of the Fireball with a certain kind of magic, and not with the sharpness of the blade itself.

Also even white non-magical items in D3 increase the damage of a Fireball or Summons.

Mechanical gameplay details. Just think of it as being a magical weapon regardless and you’ll be fine xD

If we’re accepting that they’re casting through the weapon, it doesn’t make any less sense for the weapon to boost the power of the spell than it does for it to increase the casting time,

Tomes are returning but they’re universal(they just grant +1 skill point) and everybody will want them. Other than that, armour and weapons will be highly important for every class.

Which is good as far as I’m concerned. Diablo shouldn’t really be bested by somebody without gear.

The lord of terror isn’t a very credible threat if some dude running around in his skivvies is more innately powerful.

We’re supposed to be powerful mortals, not Superman.

3 Likes

While the big sharp axe complaint is overdone to an extent. It does raise an interesting question regarding Diablo 4.

Should the damage of non-physical skills be tied to the damage of the Character’s weapon?

Now in Diablo 2, most of the non-physical skills (or caster skills) weren’t reliant on the damage of the equipped weapon. The damage of caster skills mostly came from the skills themselves, their skill synergies, and the leveling of said skills. Now that’s not to say that the skills didn’t benefit from weapons or gear, as they did if the weapons and gear had the right affixes and stats, however the damage of the weapon itself wasn’t one of them.

For example, a sorceress casting a Fire Ball while wielding a bardiche, with a high amount of enhanced damage modifier, won’t do any more damage than an unarmed sorceress casting the same spell. On the other hand if that Sorceress had the Infinity runeword equipped, then she would do more damage than an unarmed sorceress, but only because of the Conviction aura that the Infinity runeword granted which lowers enemies resistances.

But despite the benefit that gear brings, it would never equal up to the amount of power that leveling your skills gave. For example, a sorceress with full gear but with a level one fire ball, lightning, or ice blast will do far less damage than a naked sorceress of the same level with full skill points in the following skills as well as their skill synergies. That was pretty much the case for most caster builds in Diablo 2 and a reason why naked runs were possible (for caster builds only though).

Diablo 3 on the other hand has no skill leveling system and just about all skill damage tied to weapon damage. This created a scenario in which wielding a weapon with high damage modifiers (hence the big sharp axe complaint) is the only way to increase your skill damage (melee and caster skills alike). Of course, this was mostly back in Diablo 3 vanilla, trying to use a big sharp axe with no other major damage boost modifiers isn’t going help you kill anything in the Torment difficulties (let alone greater rifts). Now what determines the power of builds mostly falls under damage modifiers from sets and legendary items (be they generic and/or skill specific boosts).

Now back to:

Should the damage of non-physical skills be tied to the damage of the Character’s weapon?

I have to say, I’m a bit on the fence on this. Imo, the damage of your skills (melee and caster skills alike) should be determined by both gear and skill points (preferably equally or at least close enough), among a myriad of other things such as the passives, the affixes (hopefully interesting affixes instead of critical damage and chance) of equipped gear, etc. Thankfully Diablo 4 is bringing skill points back, so that’s a good sign that the power of a skill isn’t solely tied to the damage of the weapon.

Of course, if we look at this from a lore point of view, then caster type skills should be able to deal a moderate amount of damage even without gear pieces. The issue here imo, is that it creates an imbalance between caster and melee builds in which caster builds offer more power early (and perhaps later) in gameplay, while melee builds are more dependant on finding a good weapon before they can start to shine.

This is why naked runs are done with caster builds instead of melee builds (at least I have never seen a naked run done with a melee build).

2 Likes

As someone who killed gods in dark souls while completely naked, I find this offensive

1 Like

Without a weapon as well? (catalyst/pyro hands are weapons too)