Is Attack/Defense replacing stats?

I don’t like oversimplification of systems like that. I prefer you’d keep Intellect/Vitality/Strength/Agility, etc. and please give us the ability to spec into these, like D1 and D2!

You’ve headed down the right path with the game in general…it looks amazing! Give us as much character customization as possible, like in previous games!

Keep up the great work and thanks for listening to players!

2 Likes

I would agree with you if they actually made all the stats meaningful. I mean, lets face it, in Diablo 2 (still my favorite game in the series btw) With every build, you put just enough points in strength and dexterity to equip you’r gear, dump the rest into vitality, and ingnore energy altogether if you wanted an optimal build.

I dont really have a problem with simplifying the stats as long as they implement other mechanics that allow for as many builds to be at least viable as possible and add complexity that way.

3 Likes

I think your looking at an early Alpha version in the demo’s - Developers stated more affixes to come.

Keeping Main Stat & Vitality off everything will help itemization, balance and reduce/eliminate never-ending power creep.

One developer stated that a design philosophy is to stay away from power creep, he stated nerf not buff to achieve balance as content is added to the game.

I love the whole STR, INT, DEX etc thing. Probably because of conditioning though. I love rpg’s, and seeing those stats gives me a warm feeling I guess.

Rather than just abandon them altogether, I’d have prefered their inclusion, but make them more impactful. Its probably set in stone now however.

They were in D2 just was not as prevalent, as mostly you added your Main stat and vitality via the 5 points that were distributable.

Speaking of that did any body see if there is any distribution of this? (Main Stats, vitality etc.) I did not.

One thing stats add that was was completely missing in D3 was the STR and DEX requirement of items instead of just level req

1 Like

You know I’m kinda old school, I did like this feature of pre-requisites in gear. Mostly because it gave reason for only some folks being able to wear heavy armor, or swing very heavy weapons or wear very magical robes. I have not seen any of that in what I’ve watched.

How are you going to make stat useful?

If you are wizard, of course you would want to pump as many int on him so he can deal a lot of damage, especially if your skill damage is heavy calculated by your Int. So the Dex and Str would be useless. Same goes for STR and DEX Class. Sure if you can invest STR or DEX on your wizard to make him a bit battle-mage but in the end, all you will get is half-baked character who excel nothing.

The only time I think stat will work if your character is a blank paper that can access to all skills in the game, so you can build your own character.

And could be a compromise of getting enough strength for a piece of armor instead of more vitality, but as mentioned before, ultimately you aimed for that one specific piece for each slot and divided STR, DEX and rest to VIT

It sounds horrendous honestly… Why are we dumbing down diablo. Things like this and especially D3 it just feels like we’re moving backwards… Explain how we go from D2 (2000) 8 player games to D3 (2012) 4 player games. Global trading to no trading at all. I understand blizzard not wanting websites to sell items but lets be honest, I’d prefer trading with a black market than a repeated failed diablo community.

We were using Diablo 2 as an example, where you could get all the energy you needed from gear, and didn’t need to drop points in the stat.

But yeah, the D3 system isn’t really any better, 2 main stats for every class, and the only complexity you get is balancing between a glass cannon or a more tanky character

Then this make Energy stat redundant and useless like how D2 did.

I’m just spitballing here so bear with me. Taking Wizard as an example, putting points into INT would improve flat dps, and add to your mana pool as would be expected. But maybe your a fire wizard, and points into DEX would improve crit chance. Specializing in ice/frost might mean you’d rather put points into AGI, which might add to the length of time an enemy is frozen, or improve your ‘ice armor’.

Or maybe you want to be a bit jack of all trades, master of none - your Wizard goes down the fire talent tree, so you get that overall flat dps boost to your fire spells (but no crits), and you put your ability points into AGI so your ice armor is buffed.

I dunno. There’s a lot here you could do, especially if you consider some of the variables possible here.

1 Like

I agree. Stats were very nice in D2. It felt rewarding when you leveled and increased the different stat numbers by yourself, not just by the help of items.

@Kaljaveikko is also right that some stats were way more impactful compared to others in D2 and optimal builds used enough Strength and Dexterity to equip items and the rest went into Vitality.

I think we can look at 2 Blizzard games for a good way to add stats in D4 and make them impactful, increase the end game build customization and make leveling feel more rewarding.
In Warcraft 3 the main hero attributes aere Strength, Agility and Intelligence and each of them is important to a different type of hero. Strength gives hp and hp regen, Agility gives attack speed and armor and Intelligence increases mana pool and mana regen.
In D3 there were stats too, but they were upgradable only by items. RoS paragons made it better and customization became more flexible.
We can combine both ways in D4. There can be a few main attributes which increase numerical and percent values, manually upgradable each level and they can fit different class playstyles. Lets say there are Vitality, Force, Swiftness, Conviction and Toughness. Vitality can give hp and hp regen, Force - crit chance and crit dmg, Swiftness - attack/cast speed and evasion chance, Conviction - resource pool and cost reduction, and Toughness - armor and resistances. I used some uncommon names for the main stats so they can fit every class. Of course this is only an example. They can be way different, but overall I think manual stat upgrade like in D2 or RoS paragons can be a great addition to D4.

At least, they stated, that sets should not overpower legendaries and they keep it more simple with the skills etc. I really like what I have seen so far. The huge map areas are bip awesome