Is Apple trying to Fix the Mobile Gaming Industry?

h ttps://www.apple.com/apple-arcade/#notify-me/?cid=amp-ww-app-apc

Their Apple Arcade is all about full fledge games, no ads, no micro-transactions. I think they are hoping to get developers to stop taking advantage of gamers in the mobile platform with disgusting practices. Here are some unbelievable good games with no micro transactions that is worth looking at:

Grimvalor
Deadcells
Oddmar
Civilization VI

Here’s hoping Blizzard realizes this(they won’t) and changes their ways.

1 Like

Yeah…very likely.

3 Likes

You actually think Apple are a reputable company that cares about its customers? You should check out this YouTube channel to see how wrong that is…

1 Like

Don’t you have a $1000 iPhone?

Given that Apple is content with selling a monitor stand for $999, they have no need to stuff mobile games full of predatory microtransactions.

Which is great… I mean let them take advantage of idiots who buy 999$ stands instead

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

Yep, Louis repairs apple products while roasting apple at the same time. I had even sent one of my customer’s macbooks to him, saved my customer’s data and his laptop. Apple wouldn’t even touch it when we talked with them. It was out of warranty. They are more about selling you another 1500 dollar machine than fixing your broken one, no matter how old or expensive it was.

Yeah. I want THAT company to dictate to me how games should be played. NOT.

1 Like

Yeah, one of his latest videos was of a MacBook that the Apple “Genius Bar” wanted $475 to repair because the battery wasn’t charging. He opened it, then showed it to the customer, and demonstrated that the reason it wasn’t charging was that the battery connector was loose. He pushed the connector home and showed it working. Yep, Apple were going to charge that customer $475 to re-seat a connector. He’s been showing this sort of stuff for years now. As a result, he’s looking for bigger premises as he now has a staff of 10+ because of all the people that trust him more than Apple.

2 Likes

ON TOPIC: It’s pretty obvious that app stores need structural changes to incentivize better development practices and better curation.

Removing the immediate opportunity cost of trying out a new game that isn’t f2p spam sounds like a step in the right direction. Not having to weigh every purchase against the possibility that it is an elaborate and cheesy scam sounds great.

In a similar way, I’ve been enjoying a lot more music since switching to a subscription based model over direct album purchases.

I’d also add that there are some nice network effects when otherwise separated communities are brought together by monthly events. It’s often more fun to experience online games with a large group of fresh players.

Altogether though, I am not sure how much it really applies to Blizzard, as they aren’t a large portal for third party games. It’s possible Apple Arcade will have enough draw for Blizzard to target its games for the platform specifically.

I suppose the downside is that if it is a success, that’s one less thing for insufferable trolls to complain about. :wink:

1 Like

Apple fell far from its tree long time ago. Its not the same fruit anymore.

Not surprised, it’s a good rogue-like game on PC.

I have an iPhone 7.

I will never buy another Apple product ever again.
Apple is greedy and not to be trusted.

1 Like

Well it’s like buying Audi or BMW (or any other premium car) - you don’t pay for quality you pay for mark on mask.

I just bought (2 months ago) my first ihpone - XS because it was newest one. I prefer ios than android but yea price is sad.