Is a Hydra Wizard viable in S18?

no

good luck in your seasonal journey friend

1 Like

Hydras need an update/buff to it’s current legendary items as well as new legendary items.

2 Likes

I was messing around with a lightning Hydra-based build for some time with LON and Manald Heal. It’s fine for TXIII, but it’s lacking damage beyond that threshold. Nothing will change in season 18 unfortunately, but with a new set or some buffs for legendary items it could be viable in a future patch.

1 Like

I’d love if Serpent Sparker increased the limit to 4-5 hydras, and summoned one from each element.

1 Like

I’m also a fan of hydras. I would like one build to become playable at a high level.

Many wizard players long for that… including me:

I hope they have Hydra on their list and that its not pushed too far to the bottom.

After the Manald nerf, Hydra fell off hard…

Sad part is, they’d have to triple Manald heal now to make it competitive with CoE. Can you imagine a level 27 hitting for 40,000% weapon damage?

Patience, we have dozens of new legendary powers being updated sometime after S18.

But yah no completely not viable right now. If Firebirds set was any good right now I’d say Mammoths might be okay but definitely not Meta.

Yah they’d need to redo the ring to gain it’s full power at lvl 70, but doubt they’d do that as it would be one of the only ones to do so, they’d likely rather just increase the power via set changes.

1 Like

Nah, needs a redesign completely. Now it needs to work like "Enemies stunned by Paralysis take 55-65% more damage.

2 Likes

Yah there ya go, that’s better lol, well 60-80% :wink:

Yeah, 55-65% isn’t enough. It doesn’t have 100% uptime, so if it’s only 60% increased damage you’ll never take it over CoE. CoE is 200% increased damage with 25% uptime, averages to 50%. If Manald was 60% damage with 50% uptime, that only averages to 30%.

Would probably need to be at least 100% damage. And even then, it would only get used for Vyr’s because that would be the only build with enough attack speed to get it to high enough uptime to beat out CoE.

But this is all moot because they’ll never redesign an existing legendary like that. Some players still like and use Manald in it’s current form. And let’s face it, it was kinda fun when it was still viable. They’ll never want to modify an existing somewhat viable legendary in a way that changes it’s playstyle. The (small amount of) people who actually use it would be kinda mad.

If they change Manald, they’d just have to make it bigger.

Honestly though, if they only have ‘x’ amount of time to spend tweaking wizard legendaries, I’d rather see them focus legendaries that don’t have powers (Blackhand Key, anyone?) or legendaries that need multipliers (Serpent Sparker, Magistrate, Mirrorball etc.). While Manald isn’t viable on the high-end anymore, it’s at least usable in less powerful builds if you want to just mess around. Stuff like Magistrate and Winter Flurry are literally unusable.

1 Like

Yes, the uptime would have to be very high. But if they fixed the “hydra bug”, I think we called it (?) it could proc from Hydras and something like Static Discharge (or Archon beam) and be pretty damn functional. Honestly, it wasn’t probably so much a bug, as an incredibly lazy way to tone it down without nerfing an item.

1 Like

Arcane Hydras …Was wondering if anyone knows if Arcane Hydras damage scales with these items Unstable Scepter wand and Triumvirate offhand?

Nope. Those items also don’t affect the orbs from Moonlight Ward. Just the specific skill “Arcane Orb”.

1 Like

Moonlight Ward would be SO GOOD if it cast Arcane Orbit around you and benefited from DMO. I assume it works correctly with LoN, what possible harm is there?

IIRC, moonlight ward pre-ros specifically had the words Arcane Orb in the text…

Whoa, that goes back awhile, but it did used to be different. I don’t remember specifically how.
Edit: ICD of proc effect added; 300% nerf

I think that there is a hydra that said Arcane Orb as well, but no interaction with skill buffs.